The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #101
caminokid
Chevy nut

Re: How did you find your Truck -and-Why did you buy your truck?

Well... I have always liked the 71-72 grille. I have had several and could have kicked myself in the butt for getting rid of the ones I had. I was at Midas right around the corner talking to the guys there about something car related....and one of the guys there started talking about this 69 he had and wanted to get rid of it. It had been sitting for 5 years. So I ended up buying it for 100.00. After a year of driving it began to fall apart...body wise. I found another 69 parts truck with a good cab, frame and alot of good front sheet metal. Got that for 400.00. The other 69...has became a parts truck now. The best of the 3 I have right now is the 69 LWB Step that my brother gave me. Its a daily driver. Even though the 71 - 72 Grille has been my favorite...the 69 has grown on me.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #102
69halfton

way back in grade 6, i wanted to buy a truck for my first driver. My dad told me that whatever i could save up he would match it and we would go truck shopping. by the time i was 15 years old, i had saved up 5000 bucks, and so i had 10,000 bucks to spend on a truck.

My dad was taking a buissness trip down to indiana somewhere, and he was driving, so i made a map for him, with about 15 trucks for him to look at on the way down, all within about 50 miles of his route. he got through 14 trucks, some with big blocks, some small, some a/c some not, i wasn't very picky. and non of them were all that nice, in fact they were all very rusty.

the 15th and final truck was about 75 miles out of the way, and the pictures didn't look all that great in the ad, but he figured what the hell, and drove out there.

the second he saw the truck he was sold. he bought it before even driving it, there isn't a spec of rust anywhere.

he hooked on the little ford ranger pickup on with a towbar (its a company truck, so the make was not our choice) and drove the whole mess home, with my truck pullin.

once it was home, i pulled the motor, tranny, and rear end out, and rebuilt it all. 383 stroker went in, along with a freash rebuilt T350 (although im thinking of swapping a muncie 4 spd in) and freash posi out back.

it only had 75,000 miles on it when i bought it, and its up to about 79,000 already and im only 16. The truck is immaculate, and im sometimes scared to drive it. but i figured if by the time im done with it, if the paint isn't faded, and the new 383 isn't tottally worn out, i havent driven it enough.

...what you see is how i bought it.
Attached Images

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #103
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

This might be a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

I bought my '69, long stepper from my son when he relocated from CA to AZ, and didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it with him.
The engine came out of my Uncle Bob's 1 ton (that was totaled by a cousin, and board member, who shall remain nameless).
I just bought it for sentimental reasons.

As for my '72 GMC 3/4 T; I broke a ball joint in the '69 and later my '72 Fury spit out the timing chain; so I was out of DD's.
The GMC belonged to a friend of mine. He was having problems getting it to run so he limped it to my house with the proviso, "I'll work on it when I have the time."
Well I got it going and it sat here in my back yard for, I dunno a year and a half, 2 years.

I would take it out every few weeks and drive it, just to keep it "exercised."

I called my friend and told him about my predicament (broken timing chain) and asked if I could use his truck.
"Sure; as long as YOU have insurance."

After a week, or so, I asked him if he wanted to sell it.
He'd tried to sell it to me before, but at the time I didn't have the money.

He gave me the old, "These trucks are getting more valuable."
I countered with, "Rich, that truck has been sitting in my back yard rotting away and losing value."
We finally settled on a price.

The sad part is, when it was 1st offered to me, I could have had the truck, with an 11' slide in, cab over camper, for about $2500.
I ended up giving him $3500 for the truck alone.
But the good side is; when i bought it it had less than 30K original miles It's now approaching 40K miles.
BTW, I'm the 3rd owner.

It looks like crap (never been garaged), but damn, it's straight and runs like a raped ape.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 06-04-2008 at 10:39 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #104
rogergodding

Actually gave a broken vcr to my brother-in-law for my 72 in 1995 or so, it had a stuck valve on one head. I drove that until I got run into by a guy running a stop sign. I was on my way to the junkyard to get parts to fix the truck when I saw my 71 gmc in a driveway with the bed halfway off and the back end of the frame resting on the auxillary gas tanks. I decided I would stop and ask the guy if he "wanted to get rid of that thing". At that time I thought the $900 I paid for a truck with half an engine and no rear axle was a bit high, but I loved what I saw....... well, I ended up selling the 454 block that was in it for $500, so I got it for $400 and whatever it cost to tow it back in 98..... so, what you see in the pic below minus rear axle and engine for $400........ deal or no deal?
Attached Images

rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #105
jdodd68

Talking Re: How did you find your Truck -and-Why did you buy your truck?

I just got my 68. I had been looking for a truck to haul trash and odds an ends. One day my wife and I had over her Papa over and he told me his brother in-law wanted to sell his truck for 500.00. I thought to myself what would hurt to go look at it. Well I get to were the truck is and I see this blue 1968 Chevy C10. I had always loved those trucks but really didn't think at first that it was the one they were talking about. Well to my luck it was. After looking it over and clearing it with the wife. I drove it home.
jdodd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #106
dznucks

saw the movie 'dazed and confused' and of all the bad cars in that movie i fell in love with the black truck. i found mine in new hope, al for sale at a little repair shop of a 2 lane country road. it was all original in near mint condition and the owner of the repair shop was the second owner and it had 83k miles on it.
i've never thought of owning anything different or even considered parting with it. i plan to give it to my son....if i ever have one.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #107
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Mine was a passed down to me.

My grand father *mothers dad* was one of a hand full of mechanics in the country to get factory trained on automatics. He ran a trany shop his whole life.

Well he bought this 69 396 CST LWB from a guy who brought it in with a blown motor. So he had a couple buicks sitting around and swapped out the 396 for this 455.
My dad was helping him at the time, and told me that the wierd dent on the front fender that was bondoed up was from when they put that motor in and the jack colapsed. I'm still working on smoothing that dent out. So they repained the whole turck after the motor was put in, about 2 weeks later a guy with NO BRAKES coming to the shop to get his brakes fixed, plowed into the back of it. Well another bed and another repaint it was going again.

Well my grandfather drove it his whole life untill 99 when he passed. My aunts and mom wanted 1500 for it, but i didn't have the cash. So they sold it to my Dads sister for her son, my cousin. He thrashed 2 tranys in it, with me rebuilding and swapping them out each time. So the 3rd time the trany thashed, my aunt just gave it to me. Said i had more then 1500 worth of labor put in the thing anyway. So i've spent the better part a year off and on getting it back in shape.

When my grandfather passed, my borther and i split what tools he had left. So i'm working on his truck, with his old tools. Kinda cool.

Best story of him in the truck, Sitting at a stop light one moring before work durring a run to Alsups for coffie, he pushes in the cig lighter. When it poped out he just took off. The light was still red. Too much on his mind for the day already, he was just waiting for Something to happen right then. LOL.

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"

Last edited by jayharrell; 06-05-2008 at 01:12 PM.
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #108
heavy71chevy

well It started for me in about 04 when I test drove a 69 cst and fell in love with it...couldnt afford it and over the next couple of years I built a two door diplomat hotrod and it burned to the ground so I started looking for an older chevy to fix up and I heard about this one at my old job and chris wanted 1000 for it but I haggled with him and brought it for 500 running and driving...it was rusty and bondoed but I love the bucket lol what it looked like when I first got it...
Attached Images

heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #109
OrangeCrush1970

I was sick of making car payments and in the process of selling my Ford so wanted to find a Camero or Chevelle to start beating on; one day while looking through Craig's List I came across her. I went and looked at her the next day and 2 days later she was sitting in my driveway while my Ford was driving off w/ it's new owner. It all worked out pretty well I must say.
Attached Images

1970...71...72 C1500 aka Orange aka Sideshow Bob
540 BB Straub Roller Cam, AFR Magnums, XP 950, TKO 600
2 Tons of Fun
OrangeCrush1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #110
special-K
Special Order

Which one?The first one was at an OK Used Car lot in`73.My friend`s dad knew the sales manager and could get a good deal and push a young boy`s loan application through.The one I bought was cool because it was short,yellow,and had a V8.I`d buy it today for that same reasons only more.I had no Idea how special it was:`72 CustomDeluxe Highlander short fleet 402 3spd posi ochre solid paint power brakes 5,500 miles no scratches in bed $2,500.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #111
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

The latest one I found on here. Still out of the country for the time being so I haven't actually bought it yet but first weekend I'm home she's mine. Great guy named Chris that's on this board is keeping his word that he'd hold it so I'm super excited!
Blue Dragon: 72 K-10 SOLD!
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

panhandler62: Just don't search for "trannys" no matter how hard yours shifts -- you just won't get what you are looking for.

I Made The Official So Cal Board Meet
semperfidoordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #112
sbuck

My mother in law's neighbor got divorced she told her ex to get it out of her garage or she would. I told my wife that I would like to have to rebuild and so to make a long story short I had a set of keys under the Christmas tree this year. And the best part she only paid $500.00 for it
Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #113
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Great thread to bring back! Long story short, I was in Iraq, had a bundle of money, and wanted something old and cool. Found my truck on eBay, it was 240 miles from my parents house, and he said he would deliver up to 250. Now I'm in Kansas, have no money, and own a bucket of bolts

I had to wait 10 months before I even got to see, touch, and smell her, but it was worth it! Before and now:

Mind you, I was not looking for one of these trucks. I was actually looking for an old Cad. I knewtwo things about these trucks. One, the cab corners always rusted out. Two, they had a goofy rear suspension. I think 90% of my love for this truck comes from this website. Never have I seen such a helpfull group of people in my life.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #114
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

My first one , a 69 short fleet wood bed in the early 90's , I followed the previous owner from the grocery store to his house . It had a for sale sign on it . He wanted $1400 for it . I bought it for $1250 cash . I just had a biker buy my 78' trans am I was getting in trouble with . I drove it for 2 years and was in the auto parts one day and itraded it to the parts guy for a 79 Trans am . Dumb move i always missed that truck .

The second , a 68 short fleet , I bought from a board member here that was buying a house . I got it almost together and found and bought my 68 RS Camaro without the wifes permission . She basiccally forced me to sell it . After about 6 months she felt bad and told me i should try and find anotheer one .

The third , 67 short step , I bought from Spray bombs dad Lee . Im still working on it and it is staying around .

These trucks have classic lines and everyone has a story to tell about one .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583

Last edited by hotrod 80; 06-06-2008 at 12:02 AM.
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #115
70C10Step

I got my truck after trying to jazz up two f-100 trucks. I overheard some guys at work talking about a chevy stepside. I wrote the address down and at lunch I broke out to see if I could find it. Well I found it and bought it on the spot. I am Ford guy but I love my Chevy C-10.
1969 C20 3/4 Longbed - Beast!
1966 Mustang Fastback - Daily Fun
1965 Mustang Fastback - Money pit!

Last edited by 70C10Step; 06-06-2008 at 01:17 AM.
70C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #116
Rokcrln

Simple the owner called me several times about getting it from him and finaly just gave it to me along with a 67 parts truck. Sad that he had to talk me into getting the truck from him All he wanted was to see me do somthing that could help out other people so here is the build thread and here is the finished (well almost finished) truck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223158

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 AM   #117
heavy71chevy

lot of cool storys...keep em comin
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #118
drivethechevy

well the reason i got into 67-72 is cause of my dad and my papa, my papa way back when my dad was a little tyke bought a 1969 chevy shortbox nothin real special about it but he kept it throughout the years and my dad fell in love with the body style, in 89 my dad helped my papa restore that truck and decided he needed his own so after getin maried and me bein born my mom let him get one me at 3 months old me my mom and my dad drove out to the nw corner of south dakota in my dads 64 nova2 and i rode home with my dad is his brand new truck a 1971 beat up olive/white 71 chevy custom deluxe 10 with 350, auto, posi,wood bed, 4x4, it used 8 quarts of oil to get home, from day one of my dads build i was around, i helped do 3 engine swaps, a trany swap and was with for nearly all 400000 miles sice its resto, naturaly i fell in ove as did my older brother, when my older brother turned 15 my dad found him a 70 chevy shortbox with a 396bb and 4spd with posi and buckets i watched and helped as they restored it feuling my love for the trucks even more, when i turned 16 we were finaly to the point after moving where dad let me take on a project, we found it 20 miles from my papas house it was a 68 chevy c20 with a 250 i6 and a th350 with a wood bed as the only remaining option, it was origanly a 350 with a hd 4spd, it was the 3rd truck we looked at that day, we came back aweek later and i gave them the 50 bucks for the truck and i drove it home, its slowly in transformation to my dream truck right now.

this is a pic of the day i bought it with me gettin ready to take off in my new truck april 2007

the blue smoke in the background is the exhaust which came out right under neath the drivers floor with 3 feet of block and the a chery bomb it made lots of noise haha

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #119
2bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergodding View Post
so, what you see in the pic below minus rear axle and engine for $400........ deal or no deal?
If/when I get another longbed, I hope it looks exactly like yours. The color, the Cragars, awesome truck man. I'll look for ya in Plano, that's where I work. I'll be in my truck...
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #120
short wide 4x4

I went to a garage sale, I never go to garage sales. Just so happens I went to this one with my wife, after looking around and not seeing anything that I needed, I just happened to look in the back of this garage and there sitting under a tree was the truck of my dreams. I asked about the truck and found that it was for sale, it belonged to the mans son who was getting ready to take off for college. He needed money to help pay his way. Needles to say I came up with the money as fast as I could. I've had her now for 9 years, Wow!!
short wide 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #121
Pont406

I always liked 67-72 trucks. One day I was looking on ebay and saw a 69 c-10. It didn't sell so I offered $1200 for it and we agreed on $1400. I bought it before I knew about this site. I believe I got riped off but I still like the truck. The day I brought it home.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #122
haysonj

I bought mine off Evilbay and was really taken bad. Learned a valuable lesson and don't shop Ebay much anymore. Guy said it was a AZ truck but after I got it home found out it was in Col. most of its life. All I kept off the original truck was the frame and Dana 44 front axle. Bought a parts truck for the air cab and proceeded from there. I have so much time in this truck it will never be sold by me maybe my kids will after I'm gone.
Attached Images