The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
raidmagic

Are there different calipers?

I bought some drop spindles from a friend. He threw in some rotors. I then bought a parts truck (1981) . The rotors from the parts truck wont go on the drop spindles. The spindle is too big. No big deal I used the rotors he threw in. Now the calipers bolt on without pads but won't fit with pads. Are there different calipers and if so what would I be asking for at the parts store? Is it a years difference? The drop spindles are aftermarket and I have no clue what year these rotors came off. The are about a 1/4 thicker than the ones on the parts truck. Thanks
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
shortstep60

Re: Are there different calipers?

They make two different drop spindles one for a inch rotor and one for a inch and a quarter rotor. looks like you need the inch wide rotor to make it work. Check the rotor you have now and see if it is a inch and a quarter if it is you need to get a inch wide rotor to make it work.
shortstep60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstep60 View Post
They make two different drop spindles one for a inch rotor and one for a inch and a quarter rotor. looks like you need the inch wide rotor to make it work. Check the rotor you have now and see if it is a inch and a quarter if it is you need to get a inch wide rotor to make it work.
Ok mine are for the inch and a quarter rotors. I have them installed. So I need calipers for inch and a quarter rotors?
Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
red211

You will need the wider calipers and mounting pins since they are longer. I found used ones at the local pull Your own part yard on several vans of later varieties. They are not hit on as hard as trucks and are the same up through 95 ish.
red211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Lil Loafer

I am pretty sure that the 1 inch rotors started being optional in 1981 (someone correct me if I am wrong). Before that they were all 1 1/4 inches. If going to a part house just ask for calipers for a truck older than 1981 to avoid confusion of multiple rotor sizes for a year
Lil Loafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

If you are using the 1 1/4" rotors, you need what is called D52 calipers. That might help your search if online, otherwise, look for calipers from '73-'79 just to be safe.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Loafer View Post
I am pretty sure that the 1 inch rotors started being optional in 1981 (someone correct me if I am wrong). Before that they were all 1 1/4 inches. If going to a part house just ask for calipers for a truck older than 1981 to avoid confusion of multiple rotor sizes for a year
You nailed it dude. Went by the "good" parts store in my town today and got it straightened out. 81 is the year they swapped to smaller everything which wouldn't be a big deal if I were using all the parts from that truck. Here is the difference in the calipers. Learned something new today too so that's good.