The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
76C10Stepside

'89 Long Bed Dimensions and Canopies

I've been looking for a used canopy for my '89 S-10 long bed (89 inch long). Found some free/cheap aluminum and fiberglass canopies for the 6-foot short bed, but no luck so far finding a canopy for the longer 7-foot, 5-inch bed.

The long bed is 89 inches (7', 5") lenght I.D., 91" O.D.
Bed inside width at wheel housing is 40.3 inches, 60" O.D.
(O.D. measurements are approximate with bed liner in place).

Are the 2nd gen S-10 fleetside bed dimensions the same as 1st gen?

Are there any other trucks (e.g., Dodge Dakota) that have the same dimensions (or close enough) to the 1st gen S-10 fleetside long bed?

If I can't find one that fits, I'll have to modify a short one or make one from scratch. No easy way to modify either type (alum or glass) that looks good.
Anything I build is going to cost a LOT in raw materials look pretty funky.
Any and all suggestions welcome!
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
BlackedOut67shorty

Re: '89 Long Bed Dimensions and Canopies

I believe the one I had for my long bed s10 was origionally off a longbed Dakota.. good luck finding a longbed cap, took me ages to get one and when I finally did I just ended selling it
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
BarryB

There is actually one for sale on the local craigslist here. But the shipping would be killer. good luck finding one, since there are kinda a rare bird by themselves. Sorry can not help you with the dimensions.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
76C10Stepside

Thanks, guys! Just missed out on a really nice camper for long bed small truck, but what I really want is a canopy that I can leave on all the time. Won't be hauling any loads of gravel in this truck, ever. Just need a way to haul a covered load and a place to sleep when I go camping.

Found a place that claims to have tons of used canopies. Will drive down there some time and check it out.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
76C10Stepside

Hey, I found someone selling an S-10 long bed canopy. They say it's 87-1/2 inches long, 62 inches wide. Both dimensions are OUTER.

Remeasured my bed, and the actual measurements with bedliner in it are:

Length 87" I.D., 91-1/2" O.D.
Width 54-1/4" I.D., 61" O.D.

So, the canopy is only half inch longer than the INNER length of my truck bed, and one inch wider than the OUTER width of my truck bed. That's odd. Am concerned about the lenght. Have never had a canopy before. Will this canopy fit my '89 S-10 long bed?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
Hey, I found someone selling an S-10 long bed canopy. They say it's 87-1/2 inches long, 62 inches wide. Both dimensions are OUTER.

Remeasured my bed, and the actual measurements with bedliner in it are:

Length 87" I.D., 91-1/2" O.D.
Width 54-1/4" I.D., 61" O.D.

So, the canopy is only half inch longer than the INNER length of my truck bed, and one inch wider than the OUTER width of my truck bed. That's odd. Am concerned about the lenght. Have never had a canopy before. Will this canopy fit my '89 S-10 long bed?
I couldn't tell you if it would fit or not. Is it local? Maybe take a drive over and set it on your truck and see how it looks on your truck.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
76C10Stepside

No, it's not local and seller did not answer any of my other questions about it, like to the lift struts work, keys for locks, mounting hardware included?

What are the pros and cons of fiberglass vs. aluminum canopies?

How much heavier are fiberglass canopies than aluminum? Wondering if the heavy ones have more problems, like staying attached on bumpy roads.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Zane M

I had a Snugtop fiberglass on my '88. I never had any issues with it staying attached, and all that held it on was 6 "J" hooks.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
76C10Stepside

Thanks Zane! Good to know it will stay on once properly attached.
Will have to figure out how to get it home safely without the holes cut for the clamps.
Hoping it will be weather tight sitting on the plastic bed liner, which has a textured surface.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Zane M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
Thanks Zane! Good to know it will stay on once properly attached.
Will have to figure out how to get it home safely without the holes cut for the clamps.
Hoping it will be weather tight sitting on the plastic bed liner, which has a textured surface.
Take six C clamps with you. Three on each side should hold it down well enough to get home.

If you are really concerned you could supplement that with a couple of wratchet straps over the top. It might look funny, but it would be added insurance.

Last edited by Zane M; 06-15-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane M View Post
Take six C clamps with you. Three on each side should hold it down well enough to get home.

If you are really concerned you could supplement that with a couple of wratchet straps over the top. It might look funny, but it would be added insurance.
The ratchet straps are a good idea for getting it fastened down for the trop home. I'd like to hold off on cutting holes in the bed liner for the clamps until I've pulled the liner out to check for rust and see how the S-10 fleetside bed is constructed (I have no idea what's behind the liner). Don't want to cut holes only to find that the clamps can't go where the holes are because something's in the way or whatever. I've searched the web and not found a good picture of the inside of the bed on a first gen S-10 long bed that has not been altered.
Some of them have been skinned over (or is that how the second gen's are made?). Are there any pockets (for stakesides) or other obstacles I need to watch out for when positioning the clamps?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Zane M

First gens don't have stake pocket holes, but you probably will be best off to pull the liner and check that clearance is going to be good. I just can't remember what it looks like under the bed rails, it has been a number of years since I had a S10(looking to get another one though).
Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane M View Post
First gens don't have stake pocket holes, but you probably will be best off to pull the liner and check that clearance is going to be good. I just can't remember what it looks like under the bed rails, it has been a number of years since I had a S10(looking to get another one though).
Thanks, that's useful information! I'll see about pulling the liner ASAP and take some measurements and pictures. Guessing that the bed rails are just one layer of metal and are open on the inside. Need to see out the tie-downs are anchored, probably with pivoting anchors. The tie-downs are anodized extruded aluminum with stainless screws (except one that rusted). When I wiggle on them, it feels like just one (thin) layer of steel. I plan to keep the tie-downs because they are so useful. Would like to add some SS gussets behind them for added reinforcement.

Also need to measure the height from top of bed rails to top of cab and see if the back of cab is vertical. Not sure which small truck canopies are close enough to the gen 1 S-10 for a good fit. Thinking that cabs on mid-90s and later small trucks all slope in the back.