The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
roj2323

Thumbs up Lowes

Over the last few months I have been searching for a store to buy tools and the other supplies I need for working on my truck. Like most of you when I’m going out locally to get something I’m looking for something basic like a grinder or various abrasives. Well believe it or not I had the hardest time finding what I needed when I needed it for the price I wanted. Pretty typical I know but here are a few examples.

I had been looking for a 4.5in grinder for 2 months. My requirements were simple somewhat cheap but not crap with a warrantee. Here’s what I found:

Menards - high end $80+ or junk $10
Home depot - high end only
Ace hardware - medium quality for high-end prices
Lowes - medium quality 39.95 with a 3yr warrantee

Sheet metal
All 4 stores carry it but Menards and ace are the high priced ones. Home depot actually has the best selection but Lowes seems to have better quality.

Flap disks
Out of the 4 stores only ace hardware and Lowes carries them. Ace hardware's price is $3 more and the quality is crap due to a metal backing. Grits ranging from 40-120 are available at both however Lowes is the better of the choices again.

Ease of finding things
Out of the 4 stores I would say there all pretty much the same however you'll find that home depot and Lowes are less likely to move things around.

Availability of odd things
I found surprisingly that Lowes carries tons of things we use that are rarely found elsewhere. Here are a few examples:
A large variety of welding sticks as well as a well stocked welding section, ingersol-rand air tools, a decent selection of paint guns, a good variety of safety equipment, tools that are clearly displayed and within reach for seeing how they feel, oh and most importantly Lowes employees who actually give a dam and know what there talking about instead of acting like it.

Anyway the short story is,
Give Lowes a try you may find it to be a great place to find what you need at an honest price.

Ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote