The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #1
Mike80D

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

Sounds like a solid plan. That thing is going to be beautiful when you get done. You may not want to drive it!
Mike80D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80D View Post
Sounds like a solid plan. That thing is going to be beautiful when you get done. You may not want to drive it!
Hi.i'll drive it,no worries there.i think it'll turn out nice but it won't sit around the shop looking good.it's supposed to be used and it will.it already had a 25 year snooze.that's enough..take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:44 PM   #3
mr.mud1

not a great deal to report today,had a bunch of work to do around here but i did get the drivers side tank off my rad,it was a mess like the other side of course.i made a tool that fit inside the tubes and one at a time,cleaned every tube.i found a few that weren't clear at all and more only partially open.they're all open now and i did get the passenger side of the core clean of all the caked on crud.this core isn't in horrible shape,i may just be able to save it and solder it all back together.i'll decide tomorrow after i clean the other side,then the tanks.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
mr.mud1

a little update on what's been going on here over the last few days or week?i have mananged to make one step ahead,probably one or two in reverse?i was happy to find my rad core in pretty good shape once i had it all clean and rodded out,was in the process of soldering it all back together.i had one tank on,soldering the other tank on and only a few minutes away from being done,when the rad fell from how i had it situated so i was soldering left to right and letting the solder flow out smooth as glass.i don't know how i managed that but i had a torch in one hand,a roll of solder in the other and down it went.i don't know what it hit on the way to the floor but it crushed several tubes and a million fins and something managed to cut completely through a couple of tubes??i was sick.i turned out the shop lights and called it a day.i ordered a core from a rad shop several hours away from me,the same shop i got a core from to build the rad in my 39 Chyrsler.it'll be in next week he figured,so we'll try this again,with a new core.i picked up my new starter after seeing the condition of the old one,top burned off the solenoid switch,1 screw holding it on,1 missing,brushes worn right down the screws that hold them on and the armature didn't look to healthy,but it started the engine?i didn't turn in the old starter,i'll keep it and overhaul it someday.i painted the Cheyenne Super emblems from the front fenders,once the red and white paint dries well,i'll clean them up before they go back on.i have the "8 400" emblems to do next.i pulled out the 6 original exhaust studs and replaced them with new and painted the exhaust manifolds and baked on the paint in my wife's oven while she was at work today?i'm in trouble now?oh well i've been there before and i'm sure,will be again at some point.it's easier to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission.she said why would you do that?i said cause i don't have an oven in the garage??what's a fella to do?
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
mr.mud1

a few more pics
Attached Images