The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #676
pdxhall

Re: Frankentruck

I'm late, but congratulations on your education achievements. I'm real interested in your side glass work. That is something I haven't done yet so I'll be paying attention.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #677
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I'm late, but congratulations on your education achievements. I'm real interested in your side glass work. That is something I haven't done yet so I'll be paying attention.
Thanks!
So far, the hardest part has been removing the vent window glass from the frames so that I could clean them up and paint the frames. I also took the opportunity to weld the broken vent window handle post back on to the driver's side. The passenger side one was ok. I'm about to run up to my local glass shop to have the door and vent windows set back in the frames. I figured it was easier for him to do that than me since I don't have the tools or setting tape necessary
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #678
cwcarpenter98

Good things come in green packages. So far, all the new seals are fitting nicely. I got these seals last Christmas and am just now getting around to installing them

I should have gotten the correct rivets though. The cheapie ones I used were a pain, but they are functional.

I should get my glass back from the glass shop tomorrow, and will hopefully be able to get it all back together tomorrow as well
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 12-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #679
88Stanger

Looking good!!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #680
cwcarpenter98

Well this was totally worth it. I haven't driven the truck yet, but there's a significant decrease in the amount of rattles when closing the door.

Everything went back together fairly easily, but the passenger side door window is hard to roll up and down. The window regulator looked pretty rusty, so I'm probably going to get a new one some time before summer when I'll need to roll the window up and down
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 12-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #681
roll_the_dice

Good job! I definitely need to do mine. My vent window handle stud broke a month ago...so I may need to get a new vent glass frame...but I want black and not chrome (I think) If I do black I only need 1, if I do chrome I feel I should have both sides match. But I may just buy complete new vent windows...but could use that $ elsewhere!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #682
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Sparky View Post
Flat surfaces are the worst.

You asked about the mirror mount from my donor door. I also have the vent window parts if they'd be useful to you. Otherwise, maybe Andy could use them.
Thanks! I will send you a PM so as to not gum up the thread.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #683
53Sparky

Good job on the installation. I think I like the black look a lot better than the chrome. I'm working on repairing all the previous mirror mount holes in my doors, and I'm contemplating going to a 1 piece window instead so that I can prevent the whistles and actually use the mirrors. How much of your view of the mirror is blocked by the vent supports?

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #684
SkinnyG

The 1-piece don't roll down all the way, do they?
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #685
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
The 1-piece don't roll down all the way, do they?
They go all but the last 3/4" in one area. I can't say I like the look part way up or down but I can tolerate the fully down position if it meant better visibility and no whistle.

Here's a video showing what they look like installed.

And a pic from this thread
Attached Images

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:40 AM   #686
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Good job! I definitely need to do mine. My vent window handle stud broke a month ago...so I may need to get a new vent glass frame...but I want black and not chrome (I think) If I do black I only need 1, if I do chrome I feel I should have both sides match. But I may just buy complete new vent windows...but could use that $ elsewhere!
Thanks Andy! The post was broken on my driver's side as well. It broke a few years ago, so I kept the post and handle all this time. Turns out that was a good thing for me to keep because I was able to weld it back on when I had my glass out of the window frame. Booger welds, but it's on solid and I have a handle again! I paid a local glass shop $30 to set all the door glass back on the frames for me after I cleaned them up and painted them. Don't forget, the 60-63 and 64-66 vent windows are a different shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Sparky View Post
Good job on the installation. I think I like the black look a lot better than the chrome. I'm working on repairing all the previous mirror mount holes in my doors, and I'm contemplating going to a 1 piece window instead so that I can prevent the whistles and actually use the mirrors. How much of your view of the mirror is blocked by the vent supports?
Thanks! I also like the black better than chrome and I don't have to keep it polished all the time
On the view, now that I think about it, I don't remember noticing any issue with the view being blocked. That's something that I definitely would have fixed if there was a major issue.
I thought about converting to a one piece window, but I'm glad I didn't

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 12-30-2020, 12:49 AM   #687
cwcarpenter98

Update after taking a drive tonight: I can hear myself think now!

Before, the windows rattled so much and made the truck so loud on the inside. Now, the windows are quiet, don't rattle, and I don't have to turn up my radio super loud to drown out the prior noise.

I only drove up to about 50 mph tonight, but I did not hear any whistling like I did with the old, cracked and missing seals. Much, much quieter now.

I still need to see how it sounds once I get up to highway speeds, but so far, I'm extremely happy with the new seals

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 12-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #688
pdxhall

Great work. I hope I can make mine look that good.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #689
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Great work. I hope I can make mine look that good.
Thanks! It looks good from a distance, but there's still some rust pitting and a few paint runs. It matches the rest of the truck

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 12-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #690
jhrusk

Just catching up on the thread. Vent windows turned out great. Super congratulations on your degree. That is something no one can ever take from you. Well deserved.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:48 PM   #691
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
Just catching up on the thread. Vent windows turned out great. Super congratulations on your degree. That is something no one can ever take from you. Well deserved.
Thanks Jay, I'm really stoked about it. Still have to get my Masters of Accountancy and then my CPA license, but I'm well on my way to that now

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 12-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #692
Johns 66

Vents look great Christian.....Truck coming along nicely!!!!
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #693
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Vents look great Christian.....Truck coming along nicely!!!!
Thanks John! Yours is coming along great as well

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #694
cwcarpenter98

Another update on the vent window seals: No whistling noise while driving with windows closed, but there is still some whistling when the windows are down or vent windows are open. The loudness is no where near where it was before though, so I'm still happy with it.

My internship starts this week, so I won't be doing much of anything with Frankentruck for a bit. Thanks for checking in!
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 02-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #695
Pick121

Master cylinder question

Hi Christian, I am new here, I confess I spent one night reading your entire almost 700 posts! I am a big fan. anyway I saw on another thread this photo of your master cylinder. I did not want to hijack that thread so, I have a 1964 with single MC and I want to switch to dual, I have read some people also add power booster and swear by it saying they are soooo happy they did it. My question is, are you happy without a booster? I am happy with how my truck stops even now, with single MC - but I want to add a dual MC for safety. Just wondering if whileI am doing it should I add the booster, or just the dual MC. I am keeping the truck drum/drum probly forever. And, I’m not crazy about how the booster looks in the engine compartment, I like it simple! What’s your 2 cents?
Attached Images

Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #696
cwcarpenter98

Re: Master cylinder question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick121 View Post
Hi Christian, I am new here, I confess I spent one night reading your entire almost 700 posts! I am a big fan. anyway I saw on another thread this photo of your master cylinder. I did not want to hijack that thread so, I have a 1964 with single MC and I want to switch to dual, I have read some people also add power booster and swear by it saying they are soooo happy they did it. My question is, are you happy without a booster? I am happy with how my truck stops even now, with single MC - but I want to add a dual MC for safety. Just wondering if whileI am doing it should I add the booster, or just the dual MC. I am keeping the truck drum/drum probly forever. And, I’m not crazy about how the booster looks in the engine compartment, I like it simple! What’s your 2 cents?
Hey Mike, thanks for reading about my rust bucket
I enjoy my manual brakes. Even though I swapped the front to discs, the manual master still works very well. As of this moment, I have not pulled a trailer with the truck, so that might change my opinion about needing power once I do. Currently though, the manual master can easily lock up the brakes with no problem.

If I decide that I want to add a booster, I'll be using member Captainfab's booster bracket and the rest of the braking system that I already have. I don't need to change the master to add a booster.

For your truck, since you want to keep it drum/drum, I would recommend swapping to the 67-68 c10 manual master. It's a factory, drum/drum dual line master. I know there's a thread on here somewhere, so if you use the search tools on the site, you should be able to find that thread

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 02-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #697
cwcarpenter98

Just a quick update for y'all:

Since the beginning of January, I've been working for an accounting firm in Warner Robins as a tax intern. Since I've been driving 500 miles a week to work there, I've been driving the Civic that gets 30+ mpg. I was planning on trying to get a ride back home this weekend with one of my friends so that I could bring Frankentruck back down to Milledgeville, but instead, I get to spend the next week and a half at home. Yup, I got the 'vid. So far, it hasn't been too terrible, just some nasal congestion, being tired all the time, and loss of my taste and smell. Hopefully that's all, but we shall see.

Anyways, the good thing is that I can work from home so I'm not bored all the time. Once my quarantine time is up, I'm going to try to get a ride back home so that I can get Frankentruck. I miss driving my truck

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 02-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #698
88Stanger

Prayers for you that all goes well.
Been there, right before Christmas. was not fun, like worst flu i ever had, smell still coming back, but over it in about 8 days. So awesome on the job, intern and such!
be safe, take care of yourself and every couple days let us know you are ok until you are over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Just a quick update for y'all:

Since the beginning of January, I've been working for an accounting firm in Warner Robins as a tax intern. Since I've been driving 500 miles a week to work there, I've been driving the Civic that gets 30+ mpg. I was planning on trying to get a ride back home this weekend with one of my friends so that I could bring Frankentruck back down to Milledgeville, but instead, I get to spend the next week and a half at home. Yup, I got the 'vid. So far, it hasn't been too terrible, just some nasal congestion, being tired all the time, and loss of my taste and smell. Hopefully that's all, but we shall see.

Anyways, the good thing is that I can work from home so I'm not bored all the time. Once my quarantine time is up, I'm going to try to get a ride back home so that I can get Frankentruck. I miss driving my truck
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #699
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Prayers for you that all goes well.
Been there, right before Christmas. was not fun, like worst flu i ever had, smell still coming back, but over it in about 8 days. So awesome on the job, intern and such!
be safe, take care of yourself and every couple days let us know you are ok until you are over it.
Thanks! So far, it's been very mild in comparison to others, so I am very thankful for that.

On a happier note, I decided to order some parts that I needed for Frankentruck. I don't have to spend any money on a girl right now, so why not spend more money on my truck

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 02-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #700
The Rocknrod

Stay Well. Great work on your truck.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote