The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 PM   #1
Toro

Does this look right? Body Mount Install

So, I'm changing the body mounts for the first time on my '72 Blazer, and I think this is correct, but I just want to make sure.

The bushing is inside and in between the upper and lower cushion, so I'm guessing that determines how tight should they be? I pulled them down until I could feel the bushing meeting the top and bottom. Once tightened, it bulged the bottom cushion. The old mounts were so far gone, I really didn't have anything to go by. Here are some pictures before they were tightened, and after. Again, sorry if this is pretty basic, but I wasn't sure, thanks!
Attached Images

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
caseyfromMO

Re: Does this look right? Body Mount Install

I dont think they are supposed to be that tight, I think I read that somewhere before.
caseyfromMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
Toro

I'm not sure. But if they aren't tight enough for the bushing to meet in the middle, they would still be loose, which is the purpose of the bushing correct?

These were only pulled down by hand (no power tools) until tight enough for the bushing to be snug.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:43 AM   #4
PDXk5

I think there is supposed to be a metal sleeve that goes inside the lower bushing which allows you to tighten the body mount but prevents the rubber bushing from becoming too compressed.

Here is a pic and some links.

Here is a thread on replacing body mounts on a 67-72 truck. Should be similar to Blazer. Look at the PDFs. PDF 6, shows the original body mount being loosened, notice how it’s not compressed as much as how you have it. PDF 8, shows the lower bushing removed with the metal insert sleeve still in place.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=body+mounts

Wes sells a high quality rubber body mount set for Blazers. Post 64 shows the set with metal sleeves included.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=721801&page=3

Do you still have the original body mount parts? Maybe you can reuse the sleeves.
Attached Images

PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:37 AM   #5
Toro

My kit came from GMC Pauls, and yes it included the metal sleeves/bushings that go in between the upper and lower cushion. The sleeves/bushings are in place on each mount. Each mount was tightened until the sleeve inside was snug with the top and bottom mount. My original question was, is that correct? It seemed to me that was how they should go on, otherwise they would still be loose, and that also would answer how tight they should be put on.., basically just tight enough until the steel sleeve inside was snug. I hope that description makes sense. The photos in the first post show the mounts with the nut just started, and then what it looks like until the sleeve in the middle of the mount is snug.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #6
k-nuts

I got my rubber mount kit from Wes. Looks like same kit. I emailed Wes with the same question you have. Basically he didn't have a torque spec and my back (bed) mounts look like yours after hand tightening them. I sent him a picture. Since the back mounts don't effect door gaps etc he said just snug them up. I did what you did, but then backed them off a little because they just seemed to compressed.
k-nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #7
Toro

There is another thread started by truckster, and his mounts look almost the same as mine. I posted the photo above on that thread too. Regardless of specific "torque" settings, it seems they should be tightened until the sleeve/bushing in the center of the mount is snug with the washers on the upper and lower cushions.