The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #101
Iron-Butt
454 club

Re: pdx-sanity66

nice build
1963 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl automatic with dual exhaust, pb, ps and 17's.
R.I.P "I will miss you.
1967 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl Custom lwb
1939 Chevrolet Coupe, 350 v8 automatic.
1935 Chevrolet 2 Dr Standard in the works.
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
2023 Chevrolet Stingray Z51 Convertible.

I never want to grow up.
Iron-Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #102
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Butt View Post
nice build
Thanks. It's a long journey but I'm having fun.

Here are a few pics of my cab lights and steering wheel all epoxy primered and the test fit of the outer rocker. I've got one more small spot rusting from the inside that I'll patch and then I'll tack it in and test fit the door.
Attached Images

pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #103
Bomp

Really like your build. After my cab is back together I'm going to do the floor sections. Ive read your post over and over again and again. You really got things turning out NICE.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #104
pdxhall

Well, I had to go to page 3 to find my thread so I guess I've went too long without an update. Anybody following is going to start thinking I"m never going to get this passenger side rocker on but I think I'm finally ready. I have put more time on this than if I'd just bought a new after market rocker and massaged it to fit. I had a couple of places that were pitted that I just couldn't let go and with my lack of skill at welding it has taken me some time. I also coated the inside areas of the inner and outer rockers with rust encapsulator for protectiion and then weld-thru primer on the areas to be welded. The primer is drying and I'm out of time for this weekend. I go to work tomorrow so I will start the final welding on Wednesday. If things keep taking me this long to do I'm never going to get Sanity done. I need to step it up!
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #105
66farmer

Looking good
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #106
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Nice work man! I'm pretty stoked to see how those buckets turn out when they are upholstered.

So when are all of us Portland guys going to get together for a meet up?
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #107
DoubleL

Nice work! Looks like we're not too far from each other. I have started my own thread build. This next weekend it is rewiring for me. My trucks a daily driver but I hope to start a frame off in a year or so. My main focus right now is stopping the existing rust and making it as reliable as possible to get me to work. I think the bucket seat idea is awesome. I am trying to keep my truck "period" but not necessarily stock. I am 47 and feel like I know so little about restoring a vehicle with you learning new skills it really inspires me! Subscribed !

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835095
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #108
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Nice work man! I'm pretty stoked to see how those buckets turn out when they are upholstered.

So when are all of us Portland guys going to get together for a meet up?
Thanks Cort. I'm a long ways off before upholstery but I really want to see how they turn out too. There are quite a few of us withing shoutiing distance. I think a get together would be cool.

[QUOTE=DoubleL;5684954]Nice work! Looks like we're not too far from each other. I have started my own thread build. This next weekend it is rewiring for me. My trucks a daily driver but I hope to start a frame off in a year or so. My main focus right now is stopping the existing rust and making it as reliable as possible to get me to work. I think the bucket seat idea is awesome. I am trying to keep my truck "period" but not necessarily stock. I am 47 and feel like I know so little about restoring a vehicle with you learning new skills it really inspires me! Subscribed ![/QUOTE

Thanks, man. It looks like you've got a great truck to work on. I don't know how much inspiration I can be but thanks. I'm also going for the period correct look, that is why I decided to go with the bucket seat idea. Kinda like what chevy would have put in the truck if they went with a bucket seat option. Very similar to the seats that were put in the panel trucks without the high cost that those and the "buddy buckets" are going for. I've change my plan slightly, though. I'm going to use the custom seats instead of the standard seats to make them. The first one I made was mostly just a mock up to see if it would work. Now that the rainy season is here I may start working on them again soon. Stay tuned.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #109
Bomp

I know the feeling of never getting time to work on your ride. When you do get time it just makes it all that much more Special.
Your doing great.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #110
pdxhall

Thanks, Bomp.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #111
DoubleL

.....and we got plenty of rainy season here!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #112
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Excellent work on the floors and rockers, I wish I had your welding skills. That steering wheel is going to look great when its finished.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #113
pdxhall

Mark, you probably have my welding skills and just don't know it. I just got a welder, bought a book, watched u-tube videos, and started practicing. I'm a long way from knowing what I'm doing, that's why it takes me so d#$m long to get anything done. With your skills, I'm sure you'd do great.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #114
pdxhall

Just a quick update. I worked a lot on Sanity this weekend but I'm still just as crazy as ever. I know I didn't save any time on reusing my original outer rocker but at least it's good steel and I knew it fit when I took it off. But, it took a lot of patching and fitting all the same. Most of the spot weld holes I drilled when I took it off were just welded back up on installation but I had to cut and fit several small patches to get everything aligned properly. The factory assembly on these trucks leaves something to be desired in many areas. I am smoothing the rocker into the door posts for a cleaner look so that also took extra time. I am finally finished and I hung the door again for one last fit check and it is good. I'll post some pictures later. Now I need to get busy on the drivers side and tear into it and see what patch panels I need to order. I know the floor is worse and the kick panel is about the same. The outer rocker looks good on the outside but I'll have to see when I get it off if it is reusable. No idea on the inner rocker or front lower door panel until it's apart.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #115
mark 66

Congrats on finishing up on the one side.The other will be a walk in the park.cant wait to see the pics. maybe that will get me going again on ours.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #116
DoubleL

You're about where I want to be in 6 months.....starting on the rust repair and having some fresh knowledge in welding. I will be interested in your pics!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #117
pdxhall

Here are the pics of the completed patch on the passenger side. I also hung the door once more to double check the fit and get it out of the way for now. It still needs some epoxy primer and then a little body work later, but the metal work is done. On to the driver's side.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #118
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Have you welded the vent cover back on yet?
If so, did you do anything to seal this seam within the red line?
I will need to dig into my 65 cab to do something about this area.
I recently found a leak coming through in this location.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #119
Solo2002

Very nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #120
Bomp

Very Nice. Verrrrrrrry Nice! You had mentioned about doing a tad bit of body work left on the passengers side. I take it that you will be putting in seam sealer too.,? and covering it with epoxy to keep all your work safe from rust.??
Low Elco mentioned on my thread #251 (LORD Fusor 800EZ) is what he uses for a seam sealer.
Hope the info on patch part numbers was of some help.
Great job.
Keep it up.
You keep me motivated to keep working on the '66.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #121
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Have you welded the vent cover back on yet?
If so, did you do anything to seal this seam within the red line?
I will need to dig into my 65 cab to do something about this area.
I recently found a leak coming through in this location.
Yes I have. I had to weld a patch right there so I welded up what was left while I was at it. I could tell it had been leaking through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo2002 View Post
Very nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Very Nice. Verrrrrrrry Nice! You had mentioned about doing a tad bit of body work left on the passengers side. I take it that you will be putting in seam sealer too.,? and covering it with epoxy to keep all your work safe from rust.??
Low Elco mentioned on my thread #251 (LORD Fusor 800EZ) is what he uses for a seam sealer.
Hope the info on patch part numbers was of some help.
Great job.
Keep it up.
You keep me motivated to keep working on the '66.
Yes, I'll be doing seam sealer and epoxy. I've got to get it warmer in may garage before I can spray anything, though, but I'm working on it. Thanks again for the heads up on the patch panels, I'll be ordering from them when I start on the driver's side.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #122
DoubleL

Nice work, I'm a few months behind you on the patch work but I'll be looking back here for inspiration. My truck just lost daily driver status and I ended up getting a commuter. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, it will take the pressure of having to have everything done by a certain time.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #123
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL View Post
Nice work, I'm a few months behind you on the patch work but I'll be looking back here for inspiration. My truck just lost daily driver status and I ended up getting a commuter. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, it will take the pressure of having to have everything done by a certain time.
I've been following your thread and it looks like you're getting a lot done. Wiring is one of my biggest fears. Be careful now that it's not a daily driver, next thing you know it will be scattered all over your shop.

My first day off today so I was back out working on my Sanity (truck that is) Here are a few pics of the driver side rocker removal. Now that it's off I know what I need to order for patch panels so I'm kind of in limbo on this phase until a get some. I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy, though.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #124
pdxhall

I worked on the toe board/firewall a little today. I had a big piece of floor patch panel that was left from the passenger side repairs so I made use of some of it today. I needed to put a patch across one of the indents in the toe board and I really didn't want to try and fab one up but the floor piece had one in it that was just begging to be used so this is what I did. The last pic is just a rough in as I'm waiting on patch panels to go any further but I think it worked out well so far.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #125
Bomp

Nice use of the leftover tin.