The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
zden

66 Burb Build

Hello! I have had my suburban now for about 1.5 years. I have had quite a few projects and different year c10's over the years. I got tired of only having one seat for anyone to ride with me. That is why i settled on the Burb. I chose 1966 because the wheelbase is the same as a swb pickup.

I spent the first year I had my burb just driving it and doing small stuff. During that time I gathered parts and a 96 vortec 350 to rebuild for it. I already had a stage 2 700r4 with a few hundred miles on it. The 350/350 combo that was in the Burb ran great just had a nice oil leak. I ended up pulling that combo and dropping into to a 69 stepside I had and sold it.

Ok. That is most of the history on this project. I will list my plans and then try to catch up to where I am today. I have been moving pretty slow.

Build Plans
rebuilt 350 w/ vortec heads & small cam
Holley sniper 4 bbl
700r4 stage 2
bucket seats
fix the rust
primer until I maybe decide a color
drive

Pics how i got it straight off the truck and started washing and a pic out cruising it locally.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
zden

Re: 66 Burb Build

I finished the engine assembly and got everything ready to start the tear down for the swap and rust repair. I couldn't help myself and sprung for a pretty nice serpentine system. I also picked up some 22" wheels on marketplace really cheap. on to the pics!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
zden

I started the tear down several months ago. I used the 350/350 combo from this in another truck project so i finished that one first and sold it for more build funds. I acquired some bucket seats I plan to use. I will paint the interior some shade of Tan/brown. still trying to decide.

some random pics of tear down and seats
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
zden

After the engine was out i went to work smoothing the firewall. Welded up at least 30 holes. I thought it would never end lol

I went with a hydro boost setup for the brakes with a wilwood master. wasnt the easiest to fit to firewall but not too bad in the end. ran new lines on the front and tied into existing rear line. all the lines looked to be only a few years old.

I used tall valve covers on this engine and they ended up hitting the firewall. I had to move the engine forward about an inch. I ended up using the existing trans mount holes which moved the engine stands forward an inch. it was way easier drilling engine mounts than cross member holes!

also in the last pic i swapped out the steering box for a CPP close ratio one and frame reinforcement mount.

on to the pics!
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
jweb

Looks like you've made some good progress. This makes me want to get going on my '64 Suburban that's been sitting for about 5 years.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
zden

Made a little more progress.

pulled the front glass and have some small repairs to make.

I have the dash close to where I want it but still need to fit the lower dash extension on.

I chose a flat brown to paint the interior to match the seats.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
zden

I have been slow on the Burb partly because like everyone else I need more room haha. My current shop is 30x30. I added a 24x24 pad on the front with a nice drain for washing, sanding or wrenching. I add 30x24 to the back to extend the shop. I will basically make a room to work on projects and keep the front cleaner for quick in and out stuff. I attached some before and after. The front has been a great addition so far. I am still working on the back and hope to start putting up structure next week.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
zden

I have the engine in its final resting place so I had a post a few of it sitting in the frame. I wish I could wire it up and fire it up but I still have a lot to do before that
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
Southcity

Nice looking Burb and great work so far, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #10
kev2809
low n' slo

that looks like a nice solid truck...what are your plans for the suspension?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #11
zden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
that looks like a nice solid truck...what are your plans for the suspension?
Thanks!! I will most likely get it back to driving on the current setup of 2/4 drop. It is still six lug currently. I picked up some really cheap 22’s locally that will do for awhile. Long term plan is 3/5 coil over suspension, nice brakes and 20’s. I like to do stages so I don’t lose interest so trying to get it back to driver status hopefully by summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
zden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
kev2809
low n' slo

ya avoid the snowball effect. the more stuff u take off, the longer that truck will be down! its coming along nicely

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #13
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Sweet burb! Man, I'm jealous of your shop!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #14
zden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Sweet burb! Man, I'm jealous of your shop!
Thanks man! It is coming along!I have pretty much shut down on the Burb to get the shop addition completed.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #15
zden

I finally found some time to make some progress after doing basically nothing for almost a year. I got the 4" lower dash extension welded on. I body worked it all close and went ahead and sprayed the dash color. I was not sure I was gonna like the color but it matches the seats pretty good. I sprayed the floor with raptor liner and then covered that with Kilmat and carpet. I am about to move again so I had to pack it all up and get ready for transport. i hope to get back to work by Christmas. I plan to assemble everything and shake it down for awhile and enjoy before deciding if I wanna paint it.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #16
zden

Smile Re: 66 Burb Build

Finally making some more progress after almost a year of nothing!! I did gather more parts while not working on it though. I got a couple of days in the shop over the weekend and got a lot done.
I got the new Lokar billet pedals installed. The gas pedal was pretty straight forward and the install was not too bad. I did end up reversing the side of the mount the pedal and pull arm are on to get it in the best spot. a slight bend on the upper arm lined up the cable perfect. The brake pedal was another story. I had to hole saw some clearance in the mount so the return spring arm could clear. I also had to add a small additional spacer to what was included to get enough room on the gas pedal side for what i felt was safe clearance for my foot. I am happy with the finished look though!
I also got the Lokar floor shifter mounted. pretty straight forward as well. i still had to add the shift rod but that will be when all wiring complete and its the last time i need in the high hump.
This Burb had a painless harness in it when i purchased and I had originally planned to reuse it while doing my "engine swap" haha. When i laid it out and started looking I was going to need to do a few add on's to cover everything like I wanted. I decided to just purchase a new harness from painless that had everything and all the connectors. so far I have mounted the fuse box and terminated the gauges and all the dash switches. I need to do reverse lights and neutral safety switch and will move on the starting the engine bay. I made alot of boxes disappear this weekend and things were installed for the last time!!
I am off work for Thanksgiving week and hope to accomplish a lot more!!

On to the pics!

edit: I forgot I got the Bowtie Overdrive kit mounted to the 700r4 and final mounted the Holley sniper.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #17
Southcity

Nice progress and updates, thanks for sharing with us. I'm loving the interior work, that dash looks so nice and all that killmat is the unseen hero, you'll be thanking it every time you drive this Burban. I can certainly relate to all the work, joy, pain, patience, delays, heartache with a project like this. I've restored one 66 Suburban and am currently restoring a 66 K10 Suburban. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-01-2022, 11:54 AM   #18
zden

I got a few things moved forward last weekend.

The interior wiring is complete minus radio, wiper motor and ac. I will finish that stuff later. Also got all the holes drilled and nutserts set for the high hump to bolt in.
I routed and terminated most of the engine sensor and sniper wiring. I prob could and spent more time trying to hide everything but it is a driver at the end of the day. I was also nervous about unpinning the sniper plugs to route them differently. I am looming every wire and even hear shrinking long runs of single wires. I a making it as neat as I can.

One issue I ran into was something making contact when I rolled the engine to install distributor. turned out to be the mini starter. I had to order a body shim kit and will get back on that one. I really do not want a factory dragging when hot GM starter.

to do list this weekend:
Install the fuel tank. I purchased a CPP 29 gallon EFI tank kit. I need to find the fuel pump box and get the tank prepped and ready to go in. hopefully the filler neck is slight to no modification . I will run the fuel lines to the sniper while doing this. I also bought an access door to cut in floor above fuel pump in case I ever need to swap I can access it.

on to the pics!
Attached Images