The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Bad Jackson

Too Much Rust???

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a bit now & this is my first post. I have been looking for MY truck & I finally found it. By "My Truck" I mean the exact truck I want!!!!! But one reason it's affordable is that it has so much rust. Should I buy it anyways??? My perfect truck would be 71/72, 4x4, V8, 4 spd, LWB, A/C cab, panoramic back window, 2 tone (orange/white), steel bed floor. This truck is IT!!!! But I'm not wanting this for a project (yet), I need a truck I can drive. Some day I'll restore it, but for now, just need a truck. (I just sold my 96 Cummins)

(So, I'm having trouble uploading more than 1 pic.)
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Bad Jackson

Re: Too Much Rust???

It has rust in both kick panels, both cab corners, AND the drivers side floor board is RUSTED THROUGH!!! I can see daylight through it!

Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
leddzepp

Rust never prevented anyone from driving a truck. If it is mechanically sound, priced in your budget, and you like the truck, get it, drive and enjoy it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Bad Jackson

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a good rust free A/C cab while I'm driving this one...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Bad Jackson

Here is the same side as the other pic...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Actually the rust you posted could be classified as stock.Every truck has it,unless it's been restored.Floorboards,cab corners almost always need replacement.Rockers are like your youth,don't last nearly long enough.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
67ctener

Just a little on my experience. I bought a 67 project... I'm now into my 6th cab and its 'fair' IMO if your rust is kick panels down its worth fixing. If you have drip rail, roof, cowl rot etc that's a pretty big job but still fixable. Is see fair k20s around here go for 1000-2500
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

Ya, that's about where I am. My truck saw a fairly serious bondo job in the early 90's but the paint is coming up. I have cab corners that need help along with drip rail and that seem above the driver's side of the windshield......oh geeze!

Man, I really don't know much about these trucks but if that is the truck you want, starting saving up your money, learning as you are on here, and get ready to just fix it all at once. Keep your eye open for new cabs though.....Jeremiah King (a member here) has a junkyard out in CA and his outfit seems really good to deal with. I just bought a couple of parts from them and if need be, will try and get a cab from them in the future.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
lha1992

If its only got rust in the inner and outer rockers, cab corners and lil in the kik panels go for it like everyone says. Its common for even clean low-mileage trucks to have rust there. Nature of the design of these trucks being the drain holes would get clogged up and what not.

Cowl repair is kinda a biggie but not near as bad in my opinion as drip rail and roof channel repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Just a little on my experience. I bought a 67 project... I'm now into my 6th cab and its 'fair' IMO if your rust is kick panels down its worth fixing. If you have drip rail, roof, cowl rot etc that's a pretty big job but still fixable. Is see fair k20s around here go for 1000-2500
Posted via Mobile Device
Where are you finding these K20s in our area?? I'm down here in Everett not too far from you!

Last edited by lha1992; 09-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Bad Jackson

I looked for rust up high, and didn't see any. It all seams to be from the lower moulding down. The tailgate has some holes too, all at the bottom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Bad Jackson

So, as a newbie, what brands of replacement cab corners, rockers, kicks, & floor boards are the best? Obviously I'd prefer to NOT get anything made in CHINA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
67ctener

Quote:
Originally Posted by lha1992 View Post
If its only got rust in the inner and outer rockers, cab corners and lil in the kik panels go for it like everyone says. Its common for even clean low-mileage trucks to have rust there. Nature of the design of these trucks being the drain holes would get clogged up and what not.

Cowl repair is kinda a biggie but not near as bad in my opinion as drip rail and roof channel repair.

Where are you finding these K20s in our area?? I'm down here in Everett not too far from you!
Hello neighbor. Cl has become an addiction of mine and come across fairly priced k20s. I search all the way to Oregon and as far as Idaho. More times then not they seem local
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
leddzepp

You are SOL unless you buy NOS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
lha1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Jackson View Post
So, as a newbie, what brands of replacement cab corners, rockers, kicks, & floor boards are the best? Obviously I'd prefer to NOT get anything made in CHINA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Personally i would check out the vendors here on the site. Wes and Classic Heartbeat is a really nice guy and is south of me here in Washington in Olympia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Hello neighbor. Cl has become an addiction of mine and come across fairly priced k20s. I search all the way to Oregon and as far as Idaho. More times then not they seem local
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha CL has become a addiction of mine also! I've only searched the Seattle Cl only. I'll PM you.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
swamp rat

If you get it or any truck, if you have any cracking at all in the rain gutter (drip rail) get all the sealant scrapped out, wire brush and spray the area down with some acid to kill the rust, then re seal it with a product made for drip rails get it at a body paint supply store.

Same for the area above and below the outside windshield on both sides, pull the cowl as the seam below the windshield extends underneath it, same treatment. Look at all the body panels under the cowl and make sure they are sealed too, i had a 1/8 gap at the widest point where 3 panels came together just below the windshield, came that way from factory, seal all the seams with seam sealer.

Pull the vent flapper doors and clean out the area just below, it fills up with all kinds of crap, make sure you find the drain hole and make sure its not plugged

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Oh boy.....from what I just read...I have a huge job ahead of me!

Pics to follow in its own thread.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote