The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2016, 01:24 AM   #26
hdff

Re: Whiplash

Dave if you are that concerned about getting rear ended and whiplash you should probably give your truck to me. I have never even thought about that till now, I track my Z06 and have rode my Harley 40K miles in the last 4 years, had kids raised em and am getting old. Enjoy life , take a few risks, you only live once. And if something does go bad wrong(which I hope it doesn't) while you are having fun, you will never know it! Don't mean to sound like a dick just like to live life and encourage others to do the same. Life is to short.

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

What year did people start rear ending trucks? Millions of people have driven these trucks millions of miles with a smidgen of a percentage resulting in serous injury from rear end collision.

There's a thing known as calculated risk. I've enjoyed many things in life other would never do... ride MCs, rock climb, whitewater kayak, surf, sky dive, camp in wilderness for weeks far from any help, walked down a major city street, etc. I have lived my life where if I die today I feel I've had a good one. I've driven these trucks since '73 and never worried about getting rear ended. While newfound safety awareness is hard to ignore, I guess that's what I'm doing. The fact is, just because we mandate a safety device it doesn't mean those without have any more likeliness of having an occurence than before.

I accept the calculated risk of driving a vehicle built decades before all the devices implemented in today's vehicles that seem to be resulting in a false sense of security causing far more dangerous drivers. "My car will protect me", seems to be the mentality. I see cars mangled up far worse than ever before. I just take the slow lane and let the buffoons rip on by to their next tragic accident.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #28
BILT4ME

How about a padded gun rack with a headrest? (Officially call it a headache rack!) Make it so it clips over the bottom of the body edge right above the gas tank, then bolts in behind the dome light. It has crossbars to create support across the window opening and a pad to act as a headrest. If you make it attach to existing points, it is easily removable without drilling holes.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #29
AnotherWs6

I actually kind of like the idea of something that attaches to the factory seat belt mounts. That would give me two high points and two low ones. Fab a bar up that stays below the bench seat except for where the driver and passenger heads would be. Throw that one on the list of good ideas that will probably never happen! But I like it. Was eyeballing it on the way home from work last night. Can someone now come get it out of my head and into reality?
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #30
bMr

Is it not possible to incorporate a more period correct and OEM headrest into the metal structure of the seat frame? Surely something like the below could be modified and attached, then it and the seat could be upholstered accordingly?

http://www.justdashes.com/wp-content...31-photo-1.jpg
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
Dave if you are that concerned about getting rear ended and whiplash you should probably give your truck to me. I have never even thought about that till now, I track my Z06 and have rode my Harley 40K miles in the last 4 years, had kids raised em and am getting old. Enjoy life , take a few risks, you only live once. And if something does go bad wrong(which I hope it doesn't) while you are having fun, you will never know it! Don't mean to sound like a dick just like to live life and encourage others to do the same. Life is to short.
Safety equipment just means you want to have the fun AND not wink out in a flash not knowing it...

I want my cake and eat it too. I want to drive the old truck AND survive it. Nothing wrong with "and". People talk about a "calculated risk". I like to calculate my risk, multiply it by some fraction, and then move on. I've always made my own luck, to the extent I can, and this is no different.

I never said "these trucks are too dangerous to drive, I'm staying home". I just pointed out a glaring safety issue with them and would like to mitigate that, as the manufacturers did a couple years later (40 years ago!)... not hide under the bed.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #32
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What year did people start rear ending trucks? Millions of people have driven these trucks millions of miles with a smidgen of a percentage resulting in serous injury from rear end collision.
My father, 1992.

My best friend, 1994.

Both survived, both rear-ended in 67-72 trucks requiring medical attention. In both cases the trucks were OK at the frame (bumper mounts twisted only).
Old 08-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #33
Grumpy old man

Are you turning your NOS Build into a restomod ? late model wheels ,4l80, flashing leds,headrests ,overloaded options ? May as well just add 5 point restraints ,late model seats ,and drop it . With the longhorn bed the impact (heaven forbid) would never make it to the cab . Your truck looks great the way it is ...

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #34
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Are you turning your NOS Build into a restomod ? late model wheels ,4l80, flashing leds,headrests ,overloaded options ? May as well just add 5 point restraints ,late model seats ,and drop it . With the longhorn bed the impact (heaven forbid) would never make it to the cab . Your truck looks great the way it is ...
No, but as I bet you'd tell me if I asked: I'm not building it to suit anyone else but myself.

When the original wheels and NOS caps go on this week it'll look more correct than most, which is good enough for me. Externally and internally and underhood it will appear stock. Which is why Hemmings Classic Car is coming to photograph it for their mag/calendar!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #35
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
Is it not possible to incorporate a more period correct and OEM headrest into the metal structure of the seat frame? Surely something like the below could be modified and attached, then it and the seat could be upholstered accordingly?

I dunno bMr, would be nice. Metal fab is one thing, upholstery is another. How comfortable would you be slicing into my perfect, fully restored benches?!!??!? Cuz I'm not comfy at all about the thought.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #36
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
No, but as I bet you'd tell me if I asked: I'm not building it to suit anyone else but myself.

When the original wheels and NOS caps go on this week it'll look more correct than most, which is good enough for me. Externally and internally and underhood it will appear stock. Which is why Hemmings Classic Car is coming to photograph it for their mag/calendar!
I agree with davepl in general. It is a basic safety feature that is glaringly missing. It's not getting crazy with modern things. It's just part of basic common sense - keep the passengers restrained. That means forward and backward. It wouldn't take a semi plowing into you at sixty mph to do damage to your neck. I think a head restraint is perfectly reasonable.

And sometime we do have to make some choices that don't look very aesthetic for safety. I'm talking about car seats. My two year old daughter can't just sit on mommy's lap when she's in the truck. I WISH she could. Hey, I wish she could just bounce around all over as she pleased as we cruised down the road. But I of course love her enough to make sure that she is ALWAYS buckled in to a proper, modern car seat.

Anybody know where the kids and the dog went when Dad took the truck into town or fishing or something? (You'd be pulled over on site around here, good chance of getting arrested too)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #37
Metaldoc

F450 tow truck hit me doing 55mph, I was stopped to turn . Even with a shoulder belt I went out the back window and bounced my head off the bed cover. The seat broke and I stayed in the truck because of the lap part of the belt. I braced myself just before the hit and had no whip lash. I was very lucky. I lost over a 1 1/2 years of working on my 67 as I couldn't wear the welding helmet. It's about paying attention while driving, The guy that hit me was CAA towing, with an Impala in tow, was on his computer. But in Ontario we have no fault insurance so I got nothing, they where going to replace my t-shirt if I had a receipt that I used to stop the bleeding.
Attached Images

Metaldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #38
AnotherWs6

My gosh, that's awful. Your obviosly lucky to be mostly OK.

Can you clarify what this means....?

But in Ontario we have no fault insurance so I got nothing
Old 08-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post

This is the best idea yet. The perfect solution. Headrests were mandated in cars beginning in '68, so would be period correct, just not factory correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
I dunno bMr, would be nice. Metal fab is one thing, upholstery is another. How comfortable would you be slicing into my perfect, fully restored benches?!!??!? Cuz I'm not comfy at all about the thought.
Just because you already did your seat doesn't make it a bad idea. If you are so concerned about this safety issue, why didn't you use a little foresight and do this first? There are plenty of custom metal fab shops and plenty of "full service" upholstery shops everywhere. The three generation upholstery shop I have used for 40-ish years does seat frame work...welding/fab. I feel a real upholstery shop could handle this task. Mine could. But, I'm not worried about it.

I control my risk by living in a rural setting where I don't hit back-ups on major hi-speed hiways and very seldom sit at traffic lights. I mostly use backroads. I hate interstates with heavy traffic. Even getting out to own or beyond to the interstate, I take my country road that becomes a town street that hits main street. There is one light between town at the state road (not hiway) the interstate replaced. Both roads are 30 mph roads and I have never heard, in 30 years, of such an accident there. If I run up to the state hiway that bypasses town (50mph) I have 5 or 6 lights and there are often serious accidents at those intersections. You can't eliminate all risks, but you can make the probability far less with the right decisions. I also constantly tap my brakes and watch my mirror as cars approach, ready to move out if necessary. This comes from riding motorcycles all my life. I had an old rider tell me when I was very young, "If you have an accident riding your bike it's your fault". Might not always be true, but ride like it is and you will be a safe rider. Drive defensively at ALL times. Never assume someone will stop just because they are supposed to. It has saved my life several times I am sure.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #40
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
This is the best idea yet. The perfect solution. Headrests were mandated in cars beginning in '68, so would be period correct, just not factory correct

Just because you already did your seat doesn't make it a bad idea. If you are so concerned about this safety issue, why didn't you use a little foresight and do this first? There are plenty of custom metal fab shops and plenty of "full service" upholstery shops everywhere. The three generation upholstery shop I have used for 40-ish years does seat frame work...welding/fab. I feel a real upholstery shop could handle this task. Mine could. But, I'm not worried about it.
That would have taken a looooot of foresight. The previous owner had the seats done, lived several states away and I have never met him. BUT!!! - If I knew of him and this truck I surely would have suggested it.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #41
Metaldoc

Quote:
My gosh, that's awful. Your obviosly lucky to be mostly OK.

Can you clarify what this means....?

But in Ontario we have no fault insurance so I got nothing
My insurance covers me and his covers him. I would need to rack up 25000$ in rehab before I could sue for damage or loss. Then I would have to pay a lawyer to fight my case, and have to sue for three times the money. I'm on disability for migraines and during this didn't receive a dime because I'm off work already. He was charged for careless and won a lesser plea of following to close. It's Canadian Eh. The system here is for the guilty not the good guys.
Metaldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #42
Grumpy old man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunpiking

I control my risk by living in a rural setting where I don't hit back-ups on major hi-speed hiways and very seldom sit at traffic lights. I mostly use backroads. I hate interstates with heavy traffic. Even getting out to own or beyond to the interstate, I take my country road that becomes a town street that hits main street. There is one light between town at the state road (not hiway) the interstate replaced. Both roads are 30 mph roads and I have never heard, in 30 years, of such an accident there. If I run up to the state hiway that bypasses town (50mph) I have 5 or 6 lights and there are often serious accidents at those intersections. You can't eliminate all risks, but you can make the probability far less with the right decisions.

I've been a Shunpiker all my adult life . one nice thing about living out in the country ...NO TRAFFIC .

Old 08-10-2016, 11:26 PM   #43
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
That would have taken a looooot of foresight. The previous owner had the seats done, lived several states away and I have never met him. BUT!!! - If I knew of him and this truck I surely would have suggested it.
Alrighty then. Hadn't figured on that possibility. Looked to me like it was you who had it done, but I guess I ass-umed that . The cover could be removed and something done. Now this member below had a headrest and still came out badly. You just can't eliminate the what-ifs. Knocked the truck right out from under him is what it looks like. Just awful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldoc View Post
My insurance covers me and his covers him. I would need to rack up 25000$ in rehab before I could sue for damage or loss. Then I would have to pay a lawyer to fight my case, and have to sue for three times the money. I'm on disability for migraines and during this didn't receive a dime because I'm off work already. He was charged for careless and won a lesser plea of following to close. It's Canadian Eh. The system here is for the guilty not the good guys.
Had a conversation with someone here in the lower 48 from a state with that no-fault nonsense. Dumbest buncha crap ever. No-fault protects the distracted multi-tasking idiot doing such a thing with a car in tow while it makes it like it's your fault for sitting there doing the right thing. How they come up with this crap and why baffles me to no end. Just plumb stupid! Sorry for your strife, pain, inconvenience, and the list goes on. You know, like the list a lawyer rambles off in a law suit for far less negligence in a trivial non-traffic situation for far more money than ever possibly worth...and gets it

Tim

Old 08-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #44
Grumpy old man

Tn just in the last few years requires basic liability auto insurance but most don't have it and you don't need to show proof when you title and tag a car or a drivers license so we keep a high level of uninsured / under insured coverage and even higher medical coverage . I don't know about Canada But here you can sue your own ins company if you need to .Good insurance is expensive until you need it then it's worth every penny you pay for it, AHY ?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #45
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I was rear ended in my 67 back in like 2006 or 7. I had been sitting stopped at a redlight for at least 30 seconds before I was hit. I have 3 point belts. My head never hit the back glass, but I wasn't hit very hard either, just did some bumper damage and bent my exhaust, I even reused the bumper brackets. With my small window, I would probably hit the metal of the cab anyway? Ouch...

One of the biggest things I do while driving is to leave a ton of space in front of me. If I never have to slam on my brakes to stop, that gives the idiot behind me not paying attention even more time to stop. Nothing you can do about the idiot that hits you after you've already been stopped for a fair amount of time like I was above.

I understand your sentiment. I have a 65 Mustang that I've driven all over the country the past 3 years. It has disc brakes, a 5 speed, A/C, and I also added bolstered seats (keeps you from sliding off those flat 60's seats!), head rests and 3 point belts. While I could still go out in a bang in this car, I'd like to think my chances of walking away have been significantly improved. And... it all blends right in.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #46
AnotherWs6

Looks nice^^^^^

I am shocked and nervous dozens of times every single day. The 70-75mph dance people do is insane. There is no such thing as leaving space in front of you. People cut in and out of any space 10 inches longer than their car. It's literally terrifying. Same commute, same people every day witnessing accidents EVERY day. No one learns. The main highway I take is littered with crosses and flowers. People are constantly getting killed. No one cares, no one learns.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #47
Grumpy old man

Lets take away abs,airbags,crash avoidance notification , auto stop, and shoulder belts and then turn them loose ! I'd be willing to bet texting and talking on the phone would decrease fast . when they start dropping like flys they just might drive better ,And who exactly is it that you need to talk to driving 80 down the interstate ?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #48
joeydurango

Quote:
I am shocked and nervous dozens of times every single day. The 70-75mph dance people do is insane. There is no such thing as leaving space in front of you. People cut in and out of any space 10 inches longer than their car. It's literally terrifying. Same commute, same people every day witnessing accidents EVERY day. No one learns. The main highway I take is littered with crosses and flowers. People are constantly getting killed. No one cares, no one learns.
This is why I walk to work, and drive my truck (slowly, on back roads) on the weekend. I'm lucky to live close enough to make that possible.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote