The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Your ultimate road trip?

I've taken road trips in these trucks many times. The longest one way trips were CA to MD. Nothing too exciting to report,except a mishap here or there and some fun side triips taken when stopping in on friends along the way. We had the family camper for 18 years ('71 Cheyenne Custom Camper/20),so lots of trips up and down the East Coast to the mountains or beaches.

The all time best road trip was out west. My wife and daughter flew to Santa Fe to visit her friend after she graduated nursing school. A couple weeks before they left it hit me...screw being practical...screw the work...I'll be miserable if I stay here. So,I called my dad and invited him,then got the truck prepped. My son,father,and I hit the road to Santa Fe! My oldest and youngest sisters lived in Taos,so after spending some time in Santa Fe were trucked on up to my sisters' for a visit. Had a great visit there,my dad stayed for a longer visit with his girls before flying back on my wife's ticket.
We headed north to Chama the first night. The Cumbres &Toltec Railway had just (re)opened,which we knew nothing about till we got there. So,the next morning we hopped aboard for a ride of a lifetime. We left there for Pagosa Springs,CO to visit a friend. Over Wolf Creek Pass and out to Cortez,then Mesa Verde,Four Corners,Painted Desert,and down to Page,AZ at Lake Powell/Glen Canyon. We camped on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon,checked out the Arches & Moab before heading down to Flagstaff. We camped up on Mt. Humphreys for a night. We went down Oak Creek Canyon and enjoyed slide rock and camped the night. We checked out Sedona before heading back up to Mountainaire,where I had lived before meeting my wife. I still had a Blazer and pickup stored at my buddy's. He was driving them occasionally to keep the juices flowing.
The only mechanical issue the whole trip was descending the North Rim an exhaust manifold blew out. It was coast,brake,coast brake for probably about 10 miles and I guess it was too much on the old cast iron. And,I had just had dual exhaust made for it before leaving. So,once back in Flagstaff it went to an exhaust shop. We couldn't locate a manifold so we went with headers (and doglegged the new exhaust). While the truck was in the shop,my buddy let us borrow his boat. We hooked it to the Blazer and headed to Lake Powell for the day.
Once all squared away with the exhaust issue we started back east by way of Petrified Forest,Meteor Crater,then hit the hiway. We hopped onto Rt66 here and there and went to some of those famous roadside attractions. We camped at White Sands one night,and pretty much bolted home from there because our time had run out.
I have a couple pictures on the computer. This was before digital and I still need to convert the rest. I've shown these before,but one more time along with the story:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
tommys72

I only took one pic on the trip, it was heading into the mountains in Tennessee
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiddle View Post
i want to cruise route 66 all the way across the country to cali. Then cruise us-1 north all the way.
x2
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and photos. By all means, keep them coming too! I really enjoy going back through some of the "road trip" posts here.

Mister-B - deal, and thank you for the kind offer. I really enjoyed your recent thread with all the photos.

Special-k - what a great story and thanks for sharing those photos.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
Rich916

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedchevy View Post
Sturgis bike rally
X2, It's an awsome trip!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #31
FLDBRED

Just want to take my 71 4x4 SWB to Deer Camp, which is about 4 hours away! These trucks bring back a lot of old memories of hunts long ago, whitetail bucks and Chevy trucks just go together!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

The top thing on my bucket list is a cross country trip over at least a month. I guess this will have to wait at least 20 years until retirement. I figure I'd go out west by a northern route and return by a southern route, or vice versa. I could list a million things I'd like to see along the way. My truck itself has never been more than 100 miles from home in the 9 years I've owned. Not that I don't trust it, I just don't own a full tanker truck that I'd need to follow me!
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Here's the general map of that trip,as far as a straight shot goes:
http://mapq.st/15SziZF

Here we are on the Hatteras to Ocrakoke Island,NC ferry on another road trip to the beach. The next picture is down the coast at Edisto Island State Park,SC. That was a great camping location (truck was parked elsewhere in pic). The campsite was at the tree line right at the edge of the beach. I backed-in and the sea breeze blew straight into the camper. We rented wooden lounge chairs,so the beach was like our patio out back. I want to go back!!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #34
HSRACER

There is a power tour between DesMoines IA Goodguys event and the Columbus OH Goodguys stop a week later. I have done it a couple of times and it was great. Two planned stops a day where a shop hosts you or you get to see someone's private collection.

There is a coordinator that sets it all up and the groups stays together all week. You get to meet some great people and share the experience together. Check it out on the Goodguys website.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #35
CParnell

I have 2 that I would like to do. The first would be to leave Calgary and head west to Vancouver. Then south through Seattle and all the way down the coast to Hollyweird. Then East to Vegas and Bonneville, then North again into Saskatchewan to the family farm and home again. The other would be coast to coast in Canada. Both trips would have no schedule, just easy cruising and sight seeing.

1974 Olds Cutlass
CParnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #36
docstheman

Well, My 71 Blazer is in a million pieces in my garage and my 70 lwb is a work truck that I am not sure that I would take out of smith county at the moment, but reading y'alls posts makes me so much more anxious to finish the blazer. I have always wanted to scoot out to California and ride up the coast with the top off and the salty breeze blowing. Maybe next year. I had never heard of HRPT and I am so upset to find out it left this year from Arlington which is only a couple hours from me. I totally could have took the vette up there if I had known enough in advance. It is on my radar now and I will have to do that one day. I have taken the vette on several road trips to Austin and Galveston. It was great riding it on the seawall blvd with the top off.

Click Here for my Blazer Build: 1971 Blazer 4x4

Click Here for my Work Truck Build: 1970 C10 LWB

Toys: 1970 C10, 1971 Blazer 4x4, 1976 Corvette Stingray L82, 2011 Cadillac CTS 6 speed, 2008 VTX 1800F
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #37
lil hoodlum

I think this is a great thread!

I would also love to travel down of what is left of Route 66! Will be taking a road trip in 2 weeks to drive the Texas portion of it at least!

I would also love to travel to New Mexico, on up to Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #38
mmiddle

When you get out west of Albuquerque it looks like the movie Cars.

Keith, Enjoy the 300 mile boring trip up 287 to Amarillo.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #39
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiddle View Post
When you get out west of Albuquerque it looks like the movie Cars.

Keith, Enjoy the 300 mile boring trip up 287 to Amarillo.

Boring! Not when you are riding shotgun!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #40
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Boring! Not when you are riding shotgun!

Keith
I've made that same trip many times over the years. Spent most of my life in Amarillo, until we moved to San Angelo a few years ago.

If you plan on stopping in Amarillo and like Mexican food, would recommend El Tejavan restaurant. Was one of our favorite places to eat when we lived there.

Enjoy the trip and be safe!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote