The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
88Ironduke

Wifey wants added shoulder strap seatbelts

Need some help here. My wife has refused to ride in my truck (some might think this is good) if I don't add shoulder seat belts to all three seats on my bench seat.....

My 72 fleet side came with lap belts only and I would like to add shoulder straps for added safety that is relevant to what GM has been using thru the 80's and 90's. My truck has two points in the B pillars (up high and down at the floor) for passenger and driver shoulder straps but there is obviously nothing for the center passenger on my bench other than lap belt.

For the passenger and drivers side, can I pull from a late 80's/90's Chevy or GMC and bolt the assembly up or do I need to fab up custom brackets. Options for center seat belts? Any info is appreciated before I go junk yard shopping.

Thanks
88Ironduke
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
FL71C10

Re: Wifey wants added shoulder strap seatbelts

I know there are companies that sell kits to add shoulder belts to the outboard seating positions, but I'm not sure what you would do about the middle seat.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
cdowns

most vendors could sell you new shoulder belts to fit // a lap belt in the center is easy to install

me i would rather spend the money on new hi quality belts rather than take a chance with 30 year old junkyard stuff with an unknown history
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
leddzepp

A lot of guys use belts from an S-10. You need a 7/16-20 (fine thread) bolt for the pillars.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

You might mention to your wife that even new regular cab trucks do not have shoulde belts for the center position.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

I added shoulder mount belts, primarily because I wanted my grand kids to be able to ride in the truck and for their safety.

I used the Retro Belts for shoulder harness setup and kept the original stock center seat belt.

Was actually stopped last summer for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. My grand daughter was riding center and using the center seat belt. She was seven at the time. My grandson, who was five at the time (almost six), was in a booster seat with the shoulder harness strapped in.

Officer did not say anything at all, they were both buckled in per the law. In fact, let me off with a warning and said "really nice job on the truck, like that bumper sticker too!" You can look in the build thread for my '72 to see what bumper sticker he was talking about!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Steve Hafner

. . . .

I got my shoulder belts from Morris Classic Concepts:

http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com/

They were great people to work with . . . I got exactly what I wanted.

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Ironduke View Post
Need some help here. My wife has refused to ride in my truck (some might think this is good) if I don't add shoulder seat belts to all three seats on my bench seat.....

My 72 fleet side came with lap belts only and I would like to add shoulder straps for added safety that is relevant to what GM has been using thru the 80's and 90's. My truck has two points in the B pillars (up high and down at the floor) for passenger and driver shoulder straps but there is obviously nothing for the center passenger on my bench other than lap belt.

For the passenger and drivers side, can I pull from a late 80's/90's Chevy or GMC and bolt the assembly up or do I need to fab up custom brackets. Options for center seat belts? Any info is appreciated before I go junk yard shopping.

Thanks

88Ironduke
When I was building my truck I wanted the 3 point harness as well. The bolt that goes into the upper hole on the B pillar is for that belt. It is shouldered and is a grade 8 bolt. the only source I ever found for it was Juliano's Hot Rod Parts. He also has the reels and bracketry needed to convert your lap only set up to a three point. You can find them here:
http://www.julianos.com/
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
88Ironduke

Thanks for input guys! There are some really good looking projects out there. On the short term I will most likely go the S-10 route until my funds are replenished. A new bench seat is in order and what ever the donor is will most likely have the seat belts I need.

This is a really good forum and I have been finding tons of great info and people on here.

Thanks
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
68shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
A lot of guys use belts from an S-10. You need a 7/16-20 (fine thread) bolt for the pillars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you maybe know what year(s) of S-10 work? Standard cab or extended cab?
My 99 extended cab S-10 does not look like they would work very well....
68shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote