The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Likeaboss302

My '71 Cheyenne Longbed

Hey guys, I'm relatively new here but after seeing the amazing things you guys do with your trucks I was ready to start working on mine! A little background before I start the pictures and stuff; I inherited this truck from my dad, who got it from his dad. It runs super smooth, only 83k on it, and is a few months hard work from being like new. The passenger cab corner has about a 1.5" rust hole in it and there's surface rust in various places along the body and the bed. I am a high school junior, my AP classes take up ridiculous amounts of time but I still have a few free hours a week. I've been reading alot of articles about the famous "$50 roll-on paint job" and it seemed to beckon me. I borrowed my friend's palm sander, got some supplies, and got to work. I got the bottom half of the hood sanded and primed in about 3 hours, pretty fast compared to what I thought it was gonna take!

The build album: http://imgur.com/a/cVQSU

I'll try to update this as much as I can, stay tuned!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Likeaboss302; 10-25-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Likeaboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
gdavis

Re: My '71 Cheyenne Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeaboss302 View Post
Hey guys, I'm relatively new here but after seeing the amazing things you guys do with your trucks I was ready to start working on mine! A little background before I start the pictures and stuff; I inherited this truck from my dad, who got it from his dad. It runs super smooth, only 83k on it, and is a few months hard work from being like new. The passenger cab corner has about a 1.5" rust hole in it and there's surface rust in various places along the body and the bed. I am a high school junior, my AP classes take up ridiculous amounts of time but I still have a few free hours a week. I've been reading alot of articles about the famous "$50 roll-on paint job" and it seemed to beckon me. I borrowed my friend's palm sander, got some supplies, and got to work. I got the bottom half of the hood sanded and primed in about 3 hours, pretty fast compared to what I thought it was gonna take!

The build album: http://imgur.com/a/cVQSU

I'll try to update this as much as I can, stay tuned!!
It looks pretty solid.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Likeaboss302

Got the bottom half of the hood done, so I started on the top. There are a ton of cracks and rust spots from a hail storm a long time ago, but I got most of the big spots out. The only that is gonna worry me is the cracks that I didn't get out; I thought they were small enough to get covered by the primer, but now that it's drying I am still seeing them. Hopefully the second primer and the paint will cover them up enough to make it unnoticeable! I've had alot of time this week so the progress is stellar compared to what I thought it was going to take.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Likeaboss302

Got a few coats of paint on, currently letting coat #3 dry. Started repainting the grille black while I had some extra time, It's looking alot better than what it used to.

When I took the headlight surrounds off, I noticed that they had a ton of dry clay and oxidation on them - any tip for getting that stuff off?? I've tried soap and water but I'm afraid to take the sandpaper to it.

Also, is there a way to remove the bowtie without taking the whole grille off? It needs some work done on it and the only way I'd feel comfortable working on it would be off the grille.

Another question, has anyone ever done plastidip? I'm thinking about doing it on the wheels (not on the chrome) but I don't know how it would look, or even handle being on the wheels.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Likeaboss302

I went to work this Saturday, got a good number of things done. I painted the rims and polished every chrome or aluminum thing that was worth polishing at the moment. The truck looks a hell of a lot better with the black rims on it. I also did some touch-up work on the back lettering.
Attached Images