The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Lift it or Lower it??
Lift! 5 29.41%
Lower! 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Truthamedia

1970 C10 LONGBED project "scarlet"

Hello, I have been stalking this site for years until I finally got my C10 stepside longbed and figured I would register to get good ideas. So I will be doing this build thread to get ideas from all of you guys and get opinions on some of my ideas.

so first off, the background:
I am sixteen and since I was thirteen I have spent about an hour to three hours on craigslist (god bless craigslist) looking at trucks for sale with no money to actually buy one. I saw ALOT of great deals pass through there but again, since I had no money I had no chance.
During this time I learned more about trucks and cars than I could have ever learned by reading a book. AND it was more entertaining.

My first truck was a jury rigged wheeler that I found on craigslist for 500 dollars. I was told it was a 350 engine that needed a carburetor. Dana axles front and rear. F*** Ranger body (gross) moved onto a 1972 1/2 ton chevy chassis with a 205 t case.

What it REALLY was was a 305 chevy, chevy axles, and a chassis that had been cut in the rear for a bed bob.

This is obviously my donor truck. I wouldnt drive anything that says f*** on it. (scrapper is getting the body tomorrow)

Now here is the story of me getting the stepside truck:
During my craigslist phase, I got a job at my aunt's feed store. Every weekend while i drove to work, I passed this truck for sale. But for over a year I never decided to stop by. Until about a week ago. I talked to the guy (boy was he a talker) and he was redneck to the core and hated money. If he were to sell the truck then he probably wouldve sold it for maybe 1200 or so. BUT since he did hate money and he needed the truck gone, he told me I could have it if I could replace the heater core, muffler, and rebuild the carb on his F*** F-250. I have a heater core from the F*** ranger that will probably fit. And the carb rebuild kit and the muffler ran me 128.00 from summit. So I got a basically complete truck for 128 bucks + some labor!!!

The specs on the truck:
-NO TITLE : (If any of you have gone through the process of getting one in Washington state please contact me and let me know what to do. I hate talking to the government.) It did come with two registrations from earlier in it's life if that helps.
-Green paint coated with yellow pollen (thats washingotn for you)
-Longbed with spare tire mount
-inline six 250 (not currently running)
-2WD
-1970 C10

My Plans:

1. I am going to swap in the 305 when it is finished. I will be putting half of my pay into the v8 build and half into the truck.
2. While overhauling the 305 (don't hate on the 305) I will get the inline six running.
3.Fix or replace the brakes
4.get the truck in good running order to be able to drive it down the the washington state patrol to get it inspected to get a title.
5. Take the truck apart and start my quest to rat rod it as I cannot afford to restore it.

So thats the basics of it. I now need to decide whether I am going to eventually lower it, or take off the front axle of the 4WD chassis and put it on the truck and then lift the truck six to eight inches. If i remember correctly, the four wheel drive and 2WD chassis are pretty much the same for chevys so if any of ya'll know if thats possible please let me know and give me ideas on if it would look best to lower or lift it.

Enough talking. here are some pictures
Attached Images

Truthamedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Truthamedia

Re: 1970 C10 LONGBED project "scarlet"

More Pictures
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Truthamedia

Here is a lifted version and a Lowered version (I would stagger the lowered one instead of it being level like that) Both of these photos i found on here so i hope noone minds me using them.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Tinkermc

voted
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
69 gmc

Well I voted for lower, but I'm on an iPhone and big fingers don't help so I accidentally voted lift....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
SS Tim

"The specs on the truck:
-NO TITLE : (If any of you have gone through the process of getting one in Washington state please contact me and let me know what to do. I hate talking to the government.) It did come with two registrations from earlier in it's life if that helps.
-Green paint coated with yellow pollen (thats washingotn for you)
-Longbed with spare tire mount
-inline six 250 (not currently running)
-2WD
-1970 C10

My Plans:

1. I am going to swap in the 305 when it is finished. I will be putting half of my pay into the v8 build and half into the truck.
2. While overhauling the 305 (don't hate on the 305) I will get the inline six running.
3.Fix or replace the brakes
4.get the truck in good running order to be able to drive it down the the washington state patrol to get it inspected to get a title.
5. Take the truck apart and start my quest to rat rod it as I cannot afford to restore it..."

Might be a good deal or a can of worms. If it has been setting a year it might be for good reason. I'd hate to see you get burned in the deal. So I'm suggesting you get some help on this and make sure you can get a title and that any fees are acceptable before you buy a part or turn a wrench. Here in California a lot of vehicle sit and end up parted due to fees and fines often much more than the vehicle is worth.

IF things work and you can get a title then start planning mods.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Truthamedia

yeah I figured I would do that. I am a kid so i plan things out anyways. Its fun spending money in my head. I applied for a release of interest and if the registered owner signs it and sends it back then i can get a replacement title for it. so hopefully itll al work out. Seems like anything I do the government will find a way to make it less easy on me
Old 06-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Truthamedia

Damn DOL never makes it easy for you. I have to do alot of paperwork and go through an insanely long process. I guess that gives me time to save up some money
Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Truthamedia

question for those who are more experienced with suspension and brake (i can lift things but lowering is new to me) I want to take the disc brakes off of the 72' axles from my parts truck. would that be possible to do a straight swap? or would something not add up? the parts truck is 4wd so idk if that changes anything.

Also, I want to know if I could do a straight swap to power brakes that are connected on the ford ranger to replace my manual brakes on the c10. they worked with the discs when they were on the 72 chassis so would there be any problems there?

AND power steering. Ive got power steering on my 72' chassis and a steering rack on the c10. straight swap? and should i even do it?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Tinkermc

I like the direction this is goig
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote