The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
dmcclanahan

Fuel PSI Problem

I have a 1974 C10 with a 1988 350 which has a carburetor on it. My problem I'm having is, there is still pressure in my fuel line after the truck is shut off. I can see the pressure because I have a PSI gauge just before my carb. My main tank is need to be cleaned out (it is located on the passenger side), so I'm using my auxiliary tank as my main tank now (which is on the driver side of the truck).
-I just installed a new electric fuel pump and two new fuel filters.
-The pump is rated to have 5-9 PSI.
-The auxiliary tank has a filler nick and one outlet at the bottom of the tank
And for some reason the PSI gauge holds at 6 PSI after it has been shut off. An hour or two go by or when I remember to go check it, it has gone back to 0. The pump I had before did not do that (which was connected to the main fuel tank). I know that I need to clean my main tank but for the mean time Im using my auxiliary one. Any idea's why this is happening?
dmcclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
JMac11

Re: Fuel PSI Problem

The pressure is being relieved in one of two ways:

1) Fuel seeping past the needle and seat, the needle is closed when the engine is not running, but fuel can bypass slowly. Does your oil smell like gas? may not be a big deal, but the floor of the intake would be wet.

2) Pressure is bleeding off through the pump. Just like any pump, liquid can go both ways when they are off. This should not be a problem, as long as the pump stays primed.

One thing you might do is run a bypass regulator back to the tank. This will keep a constant pressure while cycling fresh fuel through the pump all the time, keeping the pump cooler. I plan to do this on my 84, I do not trust the adjustable regulator I have inline as a patch.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
dmcclanahan

Re: Fuel PSI Problem

I also didn't state that, the when I take the gas cap off it releases pressure. So is there any way to add a vent to the tank? The gas cap I just bought is suppose to vent but doesn't look like its working quite right.
dmcclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote