The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2020, 11:57 PM   #1
truckster

I Think I Found My Fan

I'm putting a 5.7 L31 Vortec in my 72, complete with the serpentine drive setup. I've been trying to figure out what to do about a fan, since the fan on the Vortec is 19.5 inches and my fan shroud opening is slightly over 19 inches. I considered an electric fan - member 71Rat posted a really nice conversion using a Jeep fan a while back. I really wanted to stay with the clutch fan for now, and I think I finally found the solution. I noticed in the wrecking yard yesterday that the 4.3 S10 has an 11-blade plastic fan, and it measures at 18.25 inches. Hopefully it will work well - I'll keep you posted with what I learn once I get it on the road.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: I Think I Found My Fan

If you can get some big block engine stands. Use those, they will move the engine back about 1.5'' which will be enough for the long water pump and a factory clutch fan (reverse rotation) with the big block shroud. Works out perfect. BUT the trans will move back the same amount along with the driveshaft being shortened. The big block stands will also allow you to use the later model "LOG" style manifolds
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
If you can get some big block engine stands. Use those, they will move the engine back about 1.5'' which will be enough for the long water pump and a factory clutch fan (reverse rotation) with the big block shroud. Works out perfect. BUT the trans will move back the same amount along with the driveshaft being shortened. The big block stands will also allow you to use the later model "LOG" style manifolds
It's in a 4WD K5, so I don't think I'd have any room to move the engine back. The HEI barely clears the firewall. I've measured and distance from the fan doesn't look like a problem.

Thanks for the response.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
gmc684x4

In a k series the engine is tight to the firewall this is for front diff clearance

Have you checked out a fan from 88 95 ?

The vortec 5.7 96 -02 depending which vehicle it comes from
The fan screws on to a threaded hub on the water pump

You may also have to change pumps too
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
truckster

I have a new water pump on it and the fan clutch with the 19.5 inch fan. The fan won't fit in my fan shroud.