The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Up dating the tank

Well the gas tank in the Ramp truck needed some much needed maintenance. I took it out disconnected the fuel line and rubber hoses all the way to the motor. I will blow out the hard line inside the frame good and shoot some cleaner through it with air. I ordered a new sender and filler neck grommet for it. I cleaned this tank good with a bicycle chain and a sock full of rocks with acid tone and water mix. Looking with a flash light it looks pretty good. This is the tank out of the 68 step side I sold. I put a rear frame tank in it. I think it will be good to go with a new sender unit and in-line filter and Bronze filter, I may add a in-line filter under the truck also.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Up dating the tank

Well I just dropped off the gas tank to have it boiled out. A radiator shop is doing it for me. Say's it will be ready tomorrow. Later I'm taking the carburetor to my guy to rebuild it also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
richards72chevy

Re: Up dating the tank

Nice to have shops that still offer that service.All the radiator shops disappeared here.Are you going to coat the inside afterwards?
richards72chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Up dating the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
Nice to have shops that still offer that service.All the radiator shops disappeared here.Are you going to coat the inside afterwards?
After talking with the guy he said unless it was leaking are really bad not to mess with it. As long as I kept gas in it it would be fine. So as for now no but he has called me yet.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: Up dating the tank

Well Friday wasn't a good day at all for me.

Went to crank the 64 Impala to take it and have the AC vacuumed & recharged after I fixed the line that blew off. The ignition decided to not work. Couldn't get the starter to cut off. I had to take the coil wire loose. So I spend all morning trying to get the switch a part with paper clip. I finally tore it a part with 2 pairs of big channel locks. Couldn't find one local so I had to order it. Waiting on it to show up.

Gas tank is still at the radiator shop they said they had to much to do Friday and it would be Tuesday at the earliest! The sender for it want be here until next week I hope. I haven't gotten a confirmation on it yet!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Must be the Full Moon. Friday, I went grocery shopping, got home, unloaded, kicked back for a while. Later, when I went to put the '68 Orange Stepside in its stall, it wouldn't start. 11.88 vdc. Had to bring around the '71 GMC so I could jump start the pickup...
OK. I parked both trucks and knocked off for the night.
Saturday, 11.8 vdc. I pulled the batt and brought it into O'Reilly's for a test and check. They had to charge it overnight. It's probably waiting for me now. They never called back.
Anyway, since the battery was out, this was a good time to pull the battery tray and try the '76 Nova overflow bottle that fits in the fenderwell, next to the battery...
My battery tray was busted. The RH support had come off the bottom of the tray. Also the lower weld nut in the radiator support had unwelded itself and was a spinner. Had to pull the pass side headlight bezel to get to it with a needlenose vicegrips.
Now to get the 3 body bolts holding the inboard half of the battery tray, I had to pull the fingerguard, the upper radiator brackets and lean the radiator back to get to them.
No sweat, I'm thinking, I'll call my redneck mechanic buddy, and a 6-pack later he'll weld it back together for me, and we'll have a good time -- maybe a BBQ like always. I call him up and he say's he's had a fever for a few days, and doesn't want to travel even cross-town. I tell him to take care of himself and get well. I'll have to buy a new Batt tray and fix the old one later, for another project.
The GMC's showing a bad Power-steering Gear Box leak, and is way out of alignment, so I don't like to drive it more than to the store and back if necessary.
So my main rig, the Stepside, is down until I get a box from GMC Paul with a new Battery Tray and other goodies.
Mission Creep. I knew better, but there it was.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Well I just got back home from a 2 week stay at our placee @ the beach. I called the radiator shop about the tank. It's ready to be picked up in the morning and they said it cleaned up nice so no use in sealing it.
$60.00 not bad price to have a nice clean tank again. Called the guy who has the carburetor and it's ready to. So it should run really good now.

Like new tank, sending unit, sock, gasket, fuel lines & filters, carburetor rebuilt and fuel neck gasket. Should be good to go.
I'll post picture of all of it tomorrow.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Tank is in and waiting for the carburetor to get done. Hope it will be running by tomorrow. I took and strained the old gas out and this was how it looked. I will mix this up with fresh once I get it running.
I did this twice. I think it's good now.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Tank is in and waiting for the carburetor to get done. Hope it will be running by tomorrow. I took and strained the old gas out and this was how it looked. I will mix this up with fresh once I get it running.
I did this twice. I think it's good now.
I might use that stuff for cleaning parts, but I wouldn't run it in an engine.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I might use that stuff for cleaning parts, but I wouldn't run it in an engine.
I've decided not to run it. I may use it in the old push mower though!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I've decided not to run it. I may use it in the old push mower though!
Cool.
I've done that mixing down. Usually an old forgotten Jerry can of 91 Octane or real Leaded, and cut it down with fresh. Mostly not worth the mess.
With Sta.Bil being good for 2 years now. My reserve gas gets used up in good time.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

It's back to running. Steve said the bottom of the carburetor was full of rust.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 01-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #13
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Yep, I had the same with my C10 after my brother finished the Engine/Transmission rebuild and it was time for me to drive it back down to Kyle (from Kilgore) Texas. I couldn't get 30 miles without loosing power but then it would drive okay after a bit. That crap you got on your rag ended up all inside a new Carb. Though the "new" carb ended up being a POS too, to the point when the seller got it back they said they were going to put it into the trash. The replacement (actually the 3rd one), I sent off to Quadra Jet Power down the road from me in Boerne, TX.

So just like you, my tank is all cleaned and lined - done by some radiator shop in Longview Texas. I think buying a new one would have been cheaper but then I'd have some Chinese tank - so IMO it a good call having my cleaned/sealed!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Yea that tank caused me some head ache for sure. I cleaned the carb filter and in line filter twice before I had the tank cleaned out. I had the radiator shop do mine as well but he said it didn't need sealing. ???? I wished I had it done anyway though.

It runs really good now though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 01-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #15
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Not getting it sealed was not an option for my brother! Though personally, the next time I ever want that tank to come out, it will be for a recollection to the bed ha!

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 01-16-2021, 03:35 PM   #16
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Oh forgot to say, the fuel sending unit had to be replaced (fuel gauge no workie), which looked like yours but also had 1/3 of the float rusted away - that should have been our clue to pull the tank out too!

Old 01-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Well I just did a quick look at the old gas cap & new one. They are both the same cap but the new one says it's vented. So with a little work and a thread I found on here I took the old one a part and cleaned it up and cut the spring in half to make it vent with less pressure. We will see what happens. I took and bent the 2 small tangs and got the ring out. The plastic just pops apart and the spring is inside it. The plunger is just sitting on the rubber gasket. Put it back together and your done.
The new cap I couldn't get the ring out it's not got the 2 small tangs.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club