The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
dmjlambert

j-nuts on inner fender

On the passenger side inner fender, all of the j-nuts broke and spun freely as I was taking off the inner fender, and I reached inside and held the broken j-nut with pliers to loosen the bolt. The only j-nut that did not break is the one at the top of the inner fender, which happens to be the only one I could not reach from inside. So I was lucky. I replaced all the j-nuts with new ones when I put the inner fender back on.

Now onto the driver side. The top inner fender j-nut broke and spins. Here are pictures. I don't think there is a way to reach in there and hold it from spinning so I can take out the bolt, for this one bolt. I can probably reach all the other j-nuts that are going to break. Any tips from you experienced folks? I would rather not damage the inner fender (or fender). I just want to do some work that is easier with the inner fender removed, and then I'm going to replace the j-nuts and put it back on.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
Pro299

Re: j-nuts on inner fender

When mine did that i just used a cut-off disc on my die grinder to remove the head.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
franken

Of course, spray lube on any you can hit. I'd try loosening them just a bit, then tighten. Repeat while loosening just a bit more each time. I have a little 3/8" breaker bar for this exact purpose. No suggestions for the one already broken.
My understanding is the nuts break because the crap on the bolts jam things so the tighten loosen process allows the junk to clear off...

Last edited by franken; 08-07-2020 at 01:41 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:56 PM   #4
ho70

i just replaced my heater core and removed my inner fender.....all the j nuts broke and 4 I had to grind the heads off. I was nervous, but it was easy. I even brokee the top bolt to the fender off and had to drill it out and retap it. good luck
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:21 AM   #5
Richard

Agree with previous post. Grinder would be my choice if nut is not accessible. Use a fresh wheel with a square edge for more precision.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
BigBird05

I would try to drill the head off the bolt. Hold the bolt head with vise grips and use a lot of drills. Starting with 1/8th and working on up.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #7
toolboxchev

Happened to me. Used a locking jaw needle nose vise grip thing from Harbor Freight.

cutting it off would be easiest.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:39 AM   #8
Getter-Done

This little Dremel is my best friend when it comes to stuff like that.
You have to be very careful cause the cutoff wheels are thin .
They can fit between stuff that others can't which makes for less damage.
Link:https://www.harborfreight.com/rotary...-pc-63235.html

Name:  dremel.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  28.3 KB

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
dmjlambert

I have that exact same tool with some cutoff wheels, but haven't used it much because the motor is so weak. I'll give it a try. I also have a good drill and great drill bits, locking pliers, etc. so I'm going to try a variety of things you folks have suggested. I appreciate the input on this thread.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What Getter Done said, a must have in my garage, used constantly. Just be real careful, sparks fly, but more than that it's probably too easy to disrespect how easily one can remove a finger.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
dmjlambert

Update: I used Vice Grip locking pliers on the bolt and pulled on it and turned. I had a very small gap created before the j-nut broke, so I wrapped a nice new and sharp hacksaw blade with a rag, and while holding the bolt head sawed into the gap. I was able to saw the head off the bolt. That took care of the most hard to reach bolt at top of the fender. The other j-nuts broke, but I was able to reach each one with Vice Grips or open end wrench and hold from spinning while I turned the bolt. A couple of them took an hour each, but most took 5 or 10 minutes each. The few j-nuts that were incredibly easy to access from the engine compartment didn't break, of course. Thanks for everybody's input and ideas.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #12
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Update: I used Vice Grip locking pliers on the bolt and pulled on it and turned. I had a very small gap created before the j-nut broke, so I wrapped a nice new and sharp hacksaw blade with a rag, and while holding the bolt head sawed into the gap. I was able to saw the head off the bolt. That took care of the most hard to reach bolt at top of the fender. The other j-nuts broke, but I was able to reach each one with Vice Grips or open end wrench and hold from spinning while I turned the bolt. A couple of them took an hour each, but most took 5 or 10 minutes .each. The few j-nuts that were incredibly easy to access from the engine compartment didn't break, of course. Thanks for everybody's input and ideas.
Glad you got it done

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote