The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
Dragonslayer

Exclamation Wanted: 71-72 Blazer, CST, 4x4

Finaly Got The Go Ahead!

I am looking for a 1971 or 1972 Blazer, 4x4, CST model, with little damage or rust. My dad and I have owned several, so I know exactly what I want. I am willing to travel for the right truck, within reason. Please let me know if you are selling or know of any for sale in your area. My price range is around $4,000.00.

Thanks is advance for your help!

Brian
Dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
72blazercst

i have one right here

http://<a href="http://rover.ebay.co...2468931263</a>
72blazercst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
Dragonslayer

Thanks for the reply. I saw that one and was a little interested. However, I am hoping to find one in the same shape or better a little closer.

Thanks again!

Brian
Old 03-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There are quite a few for sale in Oregon-Washington on http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
Chevy Muscle
< 69 Blazer

Quote:
Originally posted by bouncytruck
There are quite a few for sale in Oregon-Washington on http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/
I agree!

I'm looking for the same thing but I seem to only find stuff in Orgon or Washington
Chevy Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #6
Dragonslayer

I think I may have found the one. It's an original owner rig and everything is there. There is no major rust or damage, has orginal paint and carpet, and the top is perfect condition and has never been off. He is asking 5,500.00, that includes the pto winch and bumber.

My only reservation is the 300k miles on the rig and the manual transmissioin. The motor has 80k on the rebuild. The owner installed, when the rig was new, a Fram oil filter, which he says allowed him to never have to change the oil. The filter is a roll of toilet paper. Has anyone heard of this? Does this sound a little fishy to anyone. He said that he got 240k on the original motor.

I will post more information with pics in a few days.

Brian
Old 03-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
bpmcgee

Dragon,

I think that's BS and here's my reasoning -- even if you assume that the TP can filter out all the JUNK, the lubricating power of oil is broken down as it slowly gets mixed with fuel. Once it no longer lubricates, there will be accelerated wear on rings, valve guides, etc.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:06 PM   #8
Dragonslayer

Thanks Mr. mcgee

You are not the first to say that. I have heard that from a couple of other people. With that said, he said that he got 240k out of the motor and never changed the oil. Every 3k miles he would change the TP and add 1quart of oil. Either it really works or he lying. To be honest I am clueless bouot this and can only guess. I will say that after 80k miles the motor sounded tight, no nocking or wierd sounds, no smoke from the exhaust. It drove nice both in town and on the interstate. Since their 30 year old rigs, I am figuring this is a bit of a roll of the dice.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

One other note, he also stated that when these came out on the market he sold them and bought two for himself. They are installed on the Blazer and a Monte Carlo the he bought the same year and also still has. Apparently, GM bought the patents from Fram and then took the product off of the market. I don't know if that is true. Makes for interesting discussion.

Brian
Old 03-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

If that is the rig I'm thinking of, the guy has been trying to sell it for at least 6 months.

My dad's 1948 Cadillac uses a roll of Toilet Paper as an oil filter. FRAM did not invent that filter. It is really old technology and they still need the oil changed. I would be suspicious of this rig.

Don't rush your purchase! You'll know when the right one comes around. There are nice ones appearing all the time. Just keep your eyes and ears open. Watch all the online classified sites, especially for the "free" papers. I have found a lot on http://www.littlenickel.com/

Have you looked at this on yet? - http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/68291944.htm
Old 03-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
Dragonslayer

Since we have gotten a little off topic on the rig itself, I will add another thread with more information on the Frantz oil filter (not Fram).

Brian
Old 03-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #11
Dragonslayer

Thanks Bouncytruck for the information. You are probably right, just got a little excited about getting a Blazer.

BTW, I did see that Blazer. I called the owner. By the sounds of it, it's a little rougher that the other.

I am not sure why the other is not selling. It's a nice rig but the price is a little high and he is firm on the price of $5,500. If he keeps the winch, does $4,500 seem to high? Because of the little rust, I really interested in this rig. Should I keep looking? Do you think there are quiet a few Blazers with little rust in my price range?

Brian
Old 03-30-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Not seeing the truck, I can't tell if the price is high. I just know he has been trying to sell it for a while. Honestly, I'm a little surprised it hasn't sold.

I paid $4K for my truck and it has very minimal rust. It came with new tires, hard & soft top I think I got a good deal. The down side is, a PO replaced the original 307/3spd/Dana20 with a nicely built 350/TH350/NP203. I agree with everything but the 203. It also has the front disk conversion. The seats are in pretty bad shape as well.

The $4000-4500 price range seems to be where most of them are at. I have seen some real junk listed for a lot more, but some really nice rigs for less. Your going to have to go with your gut on this one. Maybe you could get a local board member to go with you to give you a second opinion.

Check the rocker boxes and windshield frame for rust. Pop the top off and check under it on the top. Also, consider taking it to a mechanic to have them check it out. Tell the guy that you'll pay for the mechanic if it passes, but if a bunch of hidden issues arise and you don't buy the rig, he should pay.

As far as the wench goes, you can pick up a new one for $1000. Are you planning on doing some serious off-roading? Do you really need a wench?

I sent my dad (he owns an auto parts store and was an engineer for Garrett for 23 years design turbochargers) an e-mail asking him about the filter with the link you posted. I'll let you know if he has any info on those filters.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:02 PM   #13
72blazercst

heres one from bouncytrucks lil nickel,

1972 BLAZER CST, 350, 4x4, aluminum wheels, Michelins, restorable, mechanically sound. $3,500. Kennywick@aol.com Ken 503-789-0694*
• Posted: 3/25/2004
• Paper: Nickel Ads, OR
• Save this ad to your favorites list
• Email this ad to your email box.

but i still think mine is a good deal, and i need the money
Old 03-30-2004, 07:06 PM   #14
Dragonslayer

Thanks 72Blazercst!

I will check into this one.

Dragon
Old 04-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
Dragonslayer

I found the one!

I purchased the one here in Portland for $4,500, excluding the winch. I am very satisfied with the rig. I liked the fact that it is an original owner, very little rust, and the top has never been off (no leaks). I will be picking it up this week and will have pics for everyone as soon as I get it home, below is a link.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/68736536.htm

Keep in mind, the winch is coming off and he has the original bumper, which was removed 3 weeks after he got the truck.

Thanks for everyones help! BTW - very nice board!

Dragonslayer
Old 04-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #16
72blazercst

thats a bumper, damn
is that color olive green,
Old 04-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #17
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

congrats on the purchase. That is the one I've seen online. I'm surprised it was for sale for so long. It looks pretty close to stock, with the exception of the deck, I mean bumper on front. You could put a hot tub on that thing!