The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
rmneder

Fuses?

I just want to confirm the panel lights and cluster feed fuses are 3 amp fuses. For some background, the reason I ask is my panel lights stopped working. I believe its the headlight switch, but while checking the fuses I noticed I had what appears to be a much higher amp fuse in the panel lights fuse location. I looked up some old posts that had pictures of the fuse panel and saw some that also had a larger fuse in the panel lights location. The fuse block says 3A on it. Is having a larger fuse in the panel lights location an indication of a problem? Should I put in a 3 amp fuse? Thanks for any help.
rmneder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Fuses?

A fuse is used to protect a circuit and should be the weakest "link" in the circuit. The fuse's purpose is to protect the wiring, not the item. Never add an item to a circuit that requires a higher rated fuse than was originally in the circuit, the wiring probably won't support the additional amperage.. Burned wiring and/or a fire could be the results.. In your case, install a 3 amp fuse in the pnl lps position and see if it holds.. If the fuse blows, check the circuit for a short or other source of overload..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
sick472

Good Advice from Rusty! I'm no electrical whiz-bang, but the wires that make up the cluster lamp circuits are 20 gauge wires and should be able to carry, in the neighborhood, of 8 amps. The general likely sized those fuses to be on the safe side knowing that they were not pushing the circuit with only a few bulbs. That may be why a larger fuse has not caused any problems for you. Do what rusty says...put a 3 amp back in and see what that gets you.

Here is a recent thread of mine that will show all the fuse sizes and locations along with "our" conclusions regarding the SFE vs AGC styles....

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=808513

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20

Last edited by sick472; 07-10-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added link
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
rmneder

Thanks for the info. I will put a 3 amp fuse in there and see what happens.
Another question for Sick472. The picture of the fuse block in the thread you linked shows what appears to be a larger than 3 amp fuse in the panel lights slot. All the pictures I've seen of the fuse block show that same larger fuse in the panel lights slot just like I had. That's what had me questioning. In the cluster feed slot the fuse has a very thin wire I assume is a 3 amp fuse. Is it common for people to use a larger fuse in the panel light location for some reason. I don't think I have anything extra wired to my panel lights so I should be fine with a 3 amp fuse. Thanks again.
rmneder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
54blackhornet

I would think it’s because they could not find a 3 amp fuse. 10,15.30 being most common glass fuse.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmneder View Post
...Another question for Sick472. The picture of the fuse block in the thread you linked shows what appears to be a larger than 3 amp fuse in the panel lights slot. All the pictures I've seen of the fuse block show that same larger fuse in the panel lights slot just like I had. ...
The only thing I can think of, other than what BlackHornet said is that...the male connection right below the "Pnl Lts" fuse can be used for additional things like gage lights that you want to be dimmed with the light switch dimmer. But, your right, most of the photos I have seen have a large looking fuse in it. Now I have to go to the shop and check mine!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote