The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
TrkEnvy

No Guts?!

I have been using the pandemic to make progress on my 71 and went to tackle the rear brakes to get her rolling and found this when I took off the driver side drum.. There is nothing in there but a wheel cylinder. I’m a newb when it comes to drum brakes. I can change shoes and springs, but I don’t know all of what I need to find or the best way to source what I need to make this drum functional again. Disc brake swap isn’t in the budget right now. Any junkyard suggestions? There aren’t any 12 bolts I’ve seen in my local pic a part.
Attached Images

1971 C10 - LWB shortened to SWB, welded in my C notch, reinforced trailing arms with 3/16 plate, new cpp 5" rear drop springs, 2" drop blocks, ece super panhard kit. Cpp drop spindles, 2 inch front springs, 5.3/4L80E

I call it Bruce Banner..
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
truckster

Re: No Guts?!

Scary. This is a pretty good diagram. Check the wheel cylinder for rust too.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
franken

Is the other side intact? If so, use it as a model. Don't pull the intact side apart until the bare one is rebuilt.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
palallin

After seeing that, I wouldn't bother trying to save the cylinder: they are cheap. Replace it.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
hamjet

Stepping on the brakes you would think brake fluid would be all over blowing out the wheel cylinder. interesting.....
Old 07-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Stepping on the brakes you would think brake fluid would be all over blowing out the wheel cylinder. interesting.....
Yeah, we need more story here. Was this rear just installed? Ever drive the truck? A c-notch in frame but no rear brakes? Is the other side the same? You had no parking brake, right?

You need to look on the parts board for a C'10 being parted or contact a Hi octane member who keeps parts inventory for many of the parts. A lot of this stuff isn't available in replacement parts or restoration

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
palallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Good point. The replacing probably needs to start at the rubber line to junction block on the axle housing and go all the way to the drums.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
liftlawssuck

Replace wheel cylinder and brake hose too. Get a complete hardware kit with adjuster. I believe the bar (can't remember the right name) and e brake lever are separate items. Also that pic above isn't exactly the same as what you have there. Check other side and use it as a Chinese blueprint if it's all together. They are super easy to put back together.
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
toolboxchev

one two syllable word

RockAuto
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
jayoldschool

First step is figure out if fluid is getting to the back. Start with disconnecting the hard lines at the rear cylinders, then work forward. Lines to block. Flex line to block, etc, etc.

Always the best how to with images:

https://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake

And the first pic with everything:

jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
TrkEnvy

My apologies for the lack of context. I haven’t driven the truck. My dad and I tore the truck down to the bare frame and C notched it while it was stripped. When he sold his house I had to move it out of his 2000 sqft shop into my 3 car garage. 12 bolt that came with the truck was thrown back under the frame and I am doing my best to make it a drivable truck again this year since I am a Realtor with a fair bit of extra time lately. When I took the roller wheels off it and removed drum I found this.. I appreciate the diagram posted. That’s great info. Now I just need to find the drum bar I guess. Most everything else comes in a full rebuild kit I believe, but I haven’t been able to find one of those in a kit. I appreciate everyone’s help with my truck.
1971 C10 - LWB shortened to SWB, welded in my C notch, reinforced trailing arms with 3/16 plate, new cpp 5" rear drop springs, 2" drop blocks, ece super panhard kit. Cpp drop spindles, 2 inch front springs, 5.3/4L80E

I call it Bruce Banner..
Old 07-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You can try the parts for sale board here, and maybe buy the parking brake strut from a vendor like LMC if none pop up here. That piece doesn't look like the factory piece, though. You can find new springs for them at most parts houses, though they may have to order them.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
TrkEnvy

Thanks!! I am gonna watch the classifieds on here. I am thinking if i can just buy everything short of the drum from someone who is parting a truck with a 12 bolt that may be best. I would hate to buy it piece by piece only to learn I missed something when I go to put it together.

I call it Bruce Banner..