The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2020, 02:04 AM   #1
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Sometimes you expect the worst.

After many years of just getting my drivers license renewed through the mail I finally had to go to the DMV and take an eye test. With all this virus craziness I figured it would be a nightmare. I have been dreading this. But it was a breeze. Only 2 people in front of me. I was in and out with a new license in 15 minutes.

And I made the clerk smile. She looked like she was having a bad day. She asked me to read the eye chart and I said "What eye chart? I can't see it". Then quickly said that I was kidding. I didn't want to flunk my eye test over a dumb joke. But she laughed. That made me feel good to see her smile. And I aced the test and was on my way.

Every once in a while I have to remind myself not to be so pessimistic.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Sometimes you expect the worst.

Pleasant visits to the DMV are a rarity I guess. They are all humans too but have to deal with all types of people every day, many testing their patience.
It's been a long running joke that folks at the DMVs must have to possess a certain "attitude" to be hired there. When you walk in you have no idea what their day has been like up to that point. Much like a traffic stop.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Things have changed some and it is now possible to have a DMA clerk who acts human, even can laugh. The DMV experiences I had for many years had me convinced these people were bred for the job. They started out at opening time Monday morning with a stern unfriendly attitude. I've had them get downright nasty with me because the transaction I had spent the entire afternoon going from window to window to get to was taking right up to quitting time to complete. Not after quitting time, just getting close. And the matter I was there to deal with was when I went to turn a set of tags in it turned out they had issued me someone else's tags years before. I couldn't hand them in at my branch, had to run down to the main DMV, all this hassle over "their" mistake I could have gotten in hot water over had I been pulled over and the clerk was treating me like I was ruining his day... Sheesh!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Back in Oreogn where I used to live ,,there was two grouchy DMV workers and two good ones ,, along with others ,,,,sometimes we would go out side when our number was called and then come back in and get one of the good workers to help us..

Here in Idaho in a much bigger building with many more DMV workers ,,I have never had a unfriendly DMV worker.. and I hear this from eveyone when the subject comes up..
Old 07-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
67C10Step

I drive 3x as far to the DMV in Searcy (Boog's backyard) rather than use the one here in Beebe. Two old, grouchy ladies here and I've always gotten in and out in Searcy much faster. If any of you have read my story about transferring title on my 67 it was worth the trip that day for sure!
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Boog
laying low

I've only had a few bad visits to the DMV here over 30 years. I have witnessed many others though who left more than po'd. I am told the office in Jud or BKnob is even easier to deal with than ours.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Pleasant visits to the DMV are a rarity I guess. They are all humans too but have to deal with all types of people every day, many testing their patience.
It's been a long running joke that folks at the DMVs must have to possess a certain "attitude" to be hired there. When you walk in you have no idea what their day has been like up to that point. Much like a traffic stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
I drive 3x as far to the DMV in Searcy (Boog's backyard) rather than use the one here in Beebe. Two old, grouchy ladies here and I've always gotten in and out in Searcy much faster. If any of you have read my story about transferring title on my 67 it was worth the trip that day for sure!
This what I share is for both of you good ol boys from around Searcy Arkansas

I was just 18 years old and went into the DMV with my sister in Searcy Arkansas for License to able me to drive in your great state and as we walked in a guy who was trying to get his CDL license renewed . He said this over and over as he walked out towards the door.. :""I'm rooind ,,,I'm rooind ,,I'm just plain rooind "" To me,,,, hearing this Arky Accent for the first time ,,this much anyways ,, I never forgot it ...

Not making fun of the guy ,,just that I never heard the south accent like that before and thats after having two sisters marry two good ol boys from Arkansas

I left and went back to Possum Grape where I staying with my sis by a little old store along the highway there and working at a rock crusher up on a mountain .

Sorry every one ,,just had a an old memory come to life ..
Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Boog
laying low

Hey Larry. Fond memories of your time in Arkansas I hope. Well, we don't think we talk funny down here..

Old 07-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I thought it was ruint or roint

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Ruinated!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I took more than enough identification to the Oxnard DMV in September (well ahead of my October license expiry) because I wasn't able to get a local appointment until late November. I had an appointment but it still took 45 minutes. I'm not complaining, it'd been 15 years since I'd stepped inside a DMV office for a DL. The rest I did online.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:58 AM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I took more than enough identification to the Oxnard DMV in September (well ahead of my October license expiry) because I wasn't able to get a local appointment until late November. I had an appointment but it still took 45 minutes. I'm not complaining, it'd been 15 years since I'd stepped inside a DMV office for a DL. The rest I did online.
Same here. It had been about 15 years for me too. (or more) My drivers license picture doesn't even look like me. I was about 45 lbs heavier and had short hair and no beard. Plus I was at least 15 years younger. It looks nothing like how I look today.

If I had to show my ID I'd get weird looks.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:14 AM   #13
The Rocknrod

When I was stationed in San Diego I lived in Carmel Mtn Ranch and went to the DMV in Poway once, they had the place running like a top, no lines etc. Their new manager was great. I screwed up wrote a positive letter to the California state about how great it was - They fired him the next month.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

My son called the DMV to set up an appointment to come in and get his license reinstated, quickly, now that he paid the fine he had neglected. He got an October appointment. It sure seems these entities are using the excuse of the virus to be even more incompetent and inefficient than before.

I have an issue that I need to discuss with a human being, not a kiosk or computer program. I can't get through on the phone, instant busy signal. All this is fine if they would also follow through with taking all this into consideration from our end. at how things have been rendered nearly impossible to 'comply' which is the duty placed upon 'us'.

Tim

Old 07-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:

I have an issue that I need to discuss with a human being, not a kiosk or computer program. I can't get through on the phone, instant busy signal. All this is fine if they would also follow through with taking all this into consideration from our end. at how things have been rendered nearly impossible to 'comply' which is the duty placed upon 'us'.
Exactly. When I want to talk to someone, that is exactly what I want to do. Talk to someone. Not get referred back to their lame website. I've already tried that. It didn't work. That's why I'm calling. But no one is picking up.

That's what I appreciated when I actually had to go to the DMV. I didn't want to go. Who does?

But I spoke with a live person and finished my business faster than I could have done it online with their ridiculous system. And the DMV clerk was kinda cute too..And that never hurts either.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #16
GOPAPA

Quote:
That's what I meant to said,. hee haa
Old 07-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #17
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

That's what I appreciated when I actually had to go to the DMV. I didn't want to go. Who does?

But I spoke with a live person and finished my business faster than I could have done it online with their ridiculous system. And the DMV clerk was kinda cute too..And that never hurts either.
To leave there with a better attitude than you went in with is fantastic.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:04 PM   #18
Ziegelsteinfaust

I do a 4 hour one way drive to get to the only good dmv office i know of.

ND ITS WORTH IT.

Even on a turn around.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:40 AM   #19
pritch

I don't think I've ever seen one that one person in line ahead of me in our local office in the Courthouse in Coalville. One of the joys of living in a small town. Oh, there's a big fancy new office over to Park City, complete with long lines and surly employees but no one from here would ever go there if they didn't absolutely have to. Like the immortal Yogi Berra said (about a trendy new restaurant) "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too busy!"

Most times, though, since I work down in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake, I end up going to one of offices down there. I went to the Jiffy Lube near our shop this time and paid the extra ten bucks (X2-my car and truck both expire end of May). I should have thrown my typical fit about it, but took the high road this time, virus and all. and it was the middle of June after all, so I needed it done.

First time I learned about the extra ten bucks, it hadn't been too long since Utah allowed this kind of thing. I was at the tire store getting some new skins and the guy asked if I wanted to go ahead and get my new sticker since it was time. I quizzed him about it and he finally admitted that it cost more for the privilege. I looked him in the eye and said "Our leaders insist that privatization of Gov't services lead to lower prices. You don't suppose they'd be lying to us, do you?"
He started sputtering on about how much time I'd save yada yada yada.
I said "I have waited behind 5 other customers, and you have taken 3 phone calls during that time. I have never waited behind more than one person ahead of me at the Courthouse over to Coalville. Explain again about the time saving?"

Spoiler Alert: He could not.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:17 AM   #20
Killer Bee

fortunately we have a commercial drivers only DMV branch office in gardena that handles CDL business only, no class C, no registrations, etc.. it's nice n quiet, longest wait for a walk in is usually 10 minutes.. and since I can take my title and registration business to AAA and renewals online, no DMV long lines and grouchy clerks for me