The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2020, 03:36 AM   #2201
ajgriffin

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Getting the Hill’s Rod and Custom (now Stoner Speed Shop) inner fenders installed, and boy, lemme tell ya, what a pain. But, man do they complete the “stock, but not” theme in the engine bay. Still lots more to do to get everything fitting perfectly on this side before moving to the driver’s, which should go a little smoother now that I have some clue of how to attack it. Bonus: the billet hinges fit with plenty of room to spare

Undecided on the cut fender edge treatment, I’m tossing around leave as-is, weld in a rolled edge, or use press-on door edging...
Check out what Rob did on one of his builds a while back. Its a long shot, but maybe he still has the bucks? 🤔

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=657
Old 05-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #2202
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Wow! I didn't realize aftermarket (fender mounted) hinges would clear the HR&C/SSS tubs. That's great to know. I didn't want to have to cut the cowl on my 67/68 RetroRod for PB's style hinge.
These are the only ones I know of that will. They were designed by Brandon Sisco for his 2-door Tahoe using Slosh Tubs. I haven’t seen anyone else do it with these, so I took a (somewhat researched and calculated) gamble that they would work and can happily report lots of clearance. I’m with you on the cowl cutting and prefer the more “stock” look of fender located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
Check out what Rob did on one of his builds a while back. Its a long shot, but maybe he still has the bucks? ��

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=657
Thanks, I remember that, and I do like the look. It would drive a slight modification to my hinge mounting, but nothing that couldn’t be overcome.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #2203
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Thanks, ajgriffin, for the reminder. A quick text to Rob and it turns out the wooden bucks still exist and are headed my way next week I love this place...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #2204
ajgriffin

Quote:
Thanks, ajgriffin, for the reminder. A quick text to Rob and it turns out the wooden bucks still exist and are headed my way next week I love this place...
Awesome!!!
Old 05-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #2205
nlped

Tell me more about these hood hinges, please!

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #2206
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
Tell me more about these hood hinges, please!
Sold by All-American Billet, made to reside in the stock location but out of the way of the tires on slammed trucks. I found out about them after seeing them installed on the Ghoesst “Tahoe”.

https://shop.allamericanbillet.com/a...uctid=-8534758
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 06-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #2207
knomadd

Quote:
Thanks man! Still lots more to go...

No belt with mine, but I bought bracket only, not the kit. From reading, it sounds like the DD compressor is a knockoff and I found a good deal on a new Sanden. I did finally get a belt on it after measuring twice and only two trips to the LAPS
Huh, weird. I didn't buy a kit with the compressor either, but I got a belt with mine. Brackets, tensioner, hardware and belt.
Sorry it took so long to respond, haven't been on since my last post and your thread has added 4 pages of stuff since then. Glad you didn't need the part number.

Quote:
It was supposed to just be a simple coilover upgrade... ...the snowball is in full effect...
Snowball??? It's about the size of that boulder from the Indiana Jones film now, isn't it?

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #2208
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Snowball??? It's about the size of that boulder from the Indiana Jones film now, isn't it?
...and just as ominous. I knew better, but I did it anyway...

Few little things I’ve been able to get knocked out: first, I ordered the Dakota Digital mounting bracket from Dead End Garage. It comes raw and undrilled, so I tapped it for stainless hardware and slapped some rattle can satin black on it. Mounts up nice and saves me having to make something; in this case it was deemed worth the money.

Also got started on the exhaust; now that all of the other major components are in place, I can figure out where to snake it through. I decided on an x-pipe this time, and it was a chore threading it around the trans x-member, driveshaft loop, and through the cutouts in the trailing arm x-member. I’m calling it good enough for now, and it is stubbed and ready to start the rear (difficult) section.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #2209
TA_C10

That trans x-member the way it zigs and zags sure is nice creating that perfect clearance for long tubes. I wish I new about that one. I'm half tempted to modify mine but I will wait for phase II. Everything is already done and I need to move on the paint.

So one thing I noticed, that I have not ever seen before, is how you put the x pipe sideways like that. I assume you did your research on that and it should flow, but my first thought seeing that is "will if flow properly"?

It looks great under there like that man.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #2210
smbrouss70

Looks good! I wish I could fit an X-pipe on a Blazer.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #2211
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
That trans x-member the way it zigs and zags sure is nice creating that perfect clearance for long tubes. I wish I new about that one. I'm half tempted to modify mine but I will wait for phase II. Everything is already done and I need to move on the paint.

So one thing I noticed, that I have not ever seen before, is how you put the x pipe sideways like that. I assume you did your research on that and it should flow, but my first thought seeing that is "will if flow properly"?

It looks great under there like that man.

Thanks! Yeah, I had the same concerns with the X rotated 90° from what is ‘normal’, but that’s the only way I could make the angles work with all of the other stuff crammed into that area. Looking through the inside of it, it’s basically a wide-open chamber, so it looks like it will flow well regardless of position.

I’ve looked and scratched my head a bit and have come to realize that the gasses would still be flowing through the X the same way, it’s just the bends in the ‘legs’ that are at different angles, if that makes sense. Guess we’ll see how it works out?

The trans crossmember is an ECE (or POL, or CPP, can’t remember) that I modified. Works great for what I needed. See how I did it here:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...&postcount=314

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #2212
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Looks good! I wish I could fit an X-pipe on a Blazer.
I think we can make it happen, I have a few ideas on how

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #2213
smbrouss70

I'll drive it to your house and we can crawl underneath and discuss. I'd love to hear your ideas.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 07-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #2214
TA_C10

Oh shoot man, I remember that post now. So it was YOU!!! lol. That gave me that idea. We have the same crossmember. I shoulda coulda woulda.

Yeah it's those angles that concern me. I realize the actual X is a wide open chamber, but the air/gases moving along the pipe bends coming into the X will be angled toward the opposing side instead of into the X like normal. So essentially the left and right banks will be angled "against" each other(like a head on collision), more violently than if they were angled parallel "with" each other. I think of those wind tunnels they build to test aerodynamics of cars, or I think of porting and polishing heads and gasket matching ports to create a smoother flow of air.

I don't want to say this "isn't" going to work, my brain is just having a hard time imagining it will work efficiently is all. I see turbulance in your future

"It's only money".
Old 07-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #2215
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
I'll drive it to your house and we can crawl underneath and discuss. I'd love to hear your ideas.
How much room between the trans x-member and the trailing arm x-member? This one is 12.5” long, probably 7-8” wide: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-sxp4

I think one of these “sideways” and four mandrel 90s and we’re in business.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #2216
TA_C10

Quote:
How much room between the trans x-member and the trailing arm x-member? This one is 12.5” long, probably 7-8” wide: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-sxp4

I think one of these “sideways” and four mandrel 90s and we’re in business.
Now look at this x-pipe picture above compared to yours. This one would work sideways as you can see the angles of the pipe work no matter which way you turn it. Your X however isn't angled like this. It's not "universal" to angle/direction...

Then again, i'm no expert, i could be wrong

"It's only money".
Old 07-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #2217
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Now look at this x-pipe picture above compared to yours. This one would work sideways as you can see the angles of the pipe work no matter which way you turn it. Your X however isn't angled like this. It's not "universal" to angle/direction...

Then again, i'm no expert, i could be wrong

Me either, dunno. I’m just hoping it will help smooth out some of the glasspacky-ness of the Magnaflows. If it sounds like a can of bees, then I’ll have to re-think it

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #2218
TA_C10

Quote:
Me either, dunno. I’m just hoping it will help smooth out some of the glasspacky-ness of the Magnaflows. If it sounds like a can of bees, then I’ll have to re-think it
I didn't mean to go on and on about it.... I may have had too much coffee this morning. I will be interested to hear it/see how it turns out. Mainly because I did an H pipe for reasons of clearance issues and would love to find out sideways works. I would change my configuration if so.

Keep up the good work gringo.

"It's only money".
Old 07-10-2020, 03:51 AM   #2219
ajgriffin

Quote:
Thanks dudes! Moved on to final clean, prep, and paint on the engine. Gotta say, I’m digging it
Sorry for bringing up old stuff, but it seems like you weren't too concerned about paint in the threads or fluid passages. Did that work out well for you? I'm getting ready to paint my engine so I thought I'd ask. Also, what was your prep process before you painted the valve cover adapters? Thanks for the info - really enjoying your build!

Name:  81A771BA-B078-4E3B-8A25-7EEF7BEDD999.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  096BCBC8-A4CC-47E0-B010-E5D7C692B92C.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 07-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #2220
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
Sorry for bringing up old stuff, but it seems like you weren't too concerned about paint in the threads or fluid passages. Did that work out well for you? I'm getting ready to paint my engine so I thought I'd ask. Also, what was your prep process before you painted the valve cover adapters? Thanks for the info - really enjoying your build!
No worries and thanks for checking in. I wasn’t super concerned, but you could stuff some paper in the holes or carefully tape them off. I did have rags in the intake ports and covered any areas that I thought might get paint into oil passages. Personal preference really, can’t hurt to be overly cautious. I like to run a tap into all of the holes I’m using, too, especially with an *ahem* gently used engine.

Valve cover adapters I simply sanded and used a self etching primer to help the paint stick to the aluminum.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 07-11-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #2221
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Took some time to get the exhaust plumbed over the rear axle. Im using mandrel bends for everything and “snapper” bushing hangers. I had to replace the magnaflows with these Borla pro-xs, due to the outlet configuration; hopefully they sound decent, hard to tell from YouTube clips. It’s all tacked and ready for final weld tomorrow
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #2222
Kronald_70GMC

Great work. Ive heard Borla exhaust before on a cousins 2019 silverado with the 5.3. It sounds pretty good.

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #2223
smbrouss70

That's the same mufflers that B.O.B. has on it. I think they'll sound good on there.

Are you ready to be invaded?

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 07-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #2224
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I had Borlas on my 83 and they sounded really good.

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #2225
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC View Post
Great work. Ive heard Borla exhaust before on a cousins 2019 silverado with the 5.3. It sounds pretty good.
Thanks, and good to know. I’m a little concerned, but no going back now
Quote:
That's the same mufflers that B.O.B. has on it. I think they'll sound good on there.

Are you ready to be invaded?
Definitely! We may not get this turd driving, but at least we can drink beers and talk trucks.

I do like Bob’s tone, but a big Ford will sound different than my little Chevy. I looked at venom 250s, but they’re just so loud. (I think I just got old)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I had Borlas on my 83 and they sounded really good.
Thanks for the input. I’m still torn, but if they get rid of the glasspack-sounding “clap” that the Magnaflows had, I’ll be happy

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)