The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2020, 02:30 AM   #1
66_C20

Planning Out Electrical/Wiring for a Harness

Hello Everyone,

I think I am at the point in the build of my 1966 Chevy C20 that I need to get a wiring harness ordered. After reading through various threads that I have searched, I have decided to go with American Auto Wire’s Classic Update Kit but I would like to hear from those seasoned and experienced folks out there that have been down the road before and that can make sure that I have all of my “I’s” dotted and “T’s” crossed beforehand. The truck’s intended purpose is to be a reliable and fun truck that can be driven on a regular basis with some updated components here and there while retaining as much character from the 1960’s as possible.

I’ll lay out the current and planned future modifications that might apply to wiring and electrical components for ensuring that I not only have chosen the right harness but also am not overlooking something or doing things out of order. As for current modifications for the truck, it has a 454 big block mated to a TH400 transmission. I’m running an HEI distributor, electric fan, a high-torque starter and plan to keep a mechanical fuel pump on it and on the inside it has a Western Chassis tilt column in it.

As for future plans I’ll be putting an updated and new alternator on it very soon, will be putting an A/C/ heat setup from one of the major companies like Vintage Air eventually and am considering swapping the mechanical for an electric water pump in the near future. As for the inside, I’m still debating on either buying a used dash that has gauges for temp, oil pressure, etc. and having it freshened up and adding a tach and clock to replace mine with the idiot lights or purchasing a similar product that Dakota Digital sells. I’ll also be replacing the radio with one that looks fairly factory and period correct but has updated features such as Bluetooth along with adding a few speakers. The last electrical/wiring related modification that comes to mind is my plan to replace all of the existing lights such as headlights, tail/brake lights, etc. with LED versions.

That is all that comes to mind but I’m sure I’m forgetting things which is why I’m coming to you all for help and advice. Feel free to ask questions and offer suggestions as the time I have available to work on the truck is usually pretty limited since I am stationed overseas and the truck is back home in Alabama. I’d like make sure that I have a solid and thorough plan in order to gather plenty of parts and the correct parts at one time so that when I go home, I can make the most of my time working on the truck rather than getting halted because I have to wait on parts when I don’t have much time to begin with. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.
66_C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
pdxhall

Re: Planning Out Electrical/Wiring for a Harness

I used the American Autowire update kit on my 66 c10 and it is great. The instructions are easy to follow and all of the wires labeled. It was my first time wiring a truck. It's a big job but very rewarding when you're done. You will have all of the extra circuits you need for any electrical updates you are planning. Good luck.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #3
PGSigns

I have done a couple with that kit and have one for my suburban. Follow the instructions and make sure you have the crimpers before you start. Do the alternator when you do the harness. Get some wire wrap, electrical tape. adel clamps, tie wraps and some of the factory style wire wrap tape. Practice starting the wrap and tying of the ends. I use the plastic wire wrap for runs along the frame and places where I want to protect the wiring and the factory style wrap for under the hood for a nice original look.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:20 AM   #4
66_C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I used the American Autowire update kit on my 66 c10 and it is great. The instructions are easy to follow and all of the wires labeled. It was my first time wiring a truck. It's a big job but very rewarding when you're done. You will have all of the extra circuits you need for any electrical updates you are planning. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I have done a couple with that kit and have one for my suburban. Follow the instructions and make sure you have the crimpers before you start. Do the alternator when you do the harness. Get some wire wrap, electrical tape. adel clamps, tie wraps and some of the factory style wire wrap tape. Practice starting the wrap and tying of the ends. I use the plastic wire wrap for runs along the frame and places where I want to protect the wiring and the factory style wrap for under the hood for a nice original look.
Jimmy
Thank you both for your comments, I’ll definitely take your advice into consideration during the install. Is there a vendor for AAW here on the forum that I could use or would it be better just to order direct from them?
66_C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762688

Followed this on mine, very helpful.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
dmulally

I installed an American Autowire Classic update last year on my 66 C20. I really dislike wiring so it came as a pleasant surprise when it was pretty easy. Only drama I had was a bad earth on a rear light which is nothing to do with the kit.

One thing I did notice is that I have a fair bit of wiring left over. Not a bad thing. I just noticed it.

Also the instructions were wrong once or twice. But they were so minor it really didn't matter.

It is a nice feeling knowing that everything works as it should and should do for the life of the truck.
dmulally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Asshat

I was thinking about a wiring harness, but that looks like a lot of money and a lot of work.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
roll_the_dice

I had never wired a vehicle before. I bought the AAW wiring kit and have finished everything but the lights--front and rear. I was dreading doing the wiring, but as other have said, follow the directions and it is pretty easy and satisfying. Like was said...get the crimpers and life will be easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
I was thinking about a wiring harness, but that looks like a lot of money and a lot of work.
You get what you pay for with this harness. Plug and play and lots of room to add features to your truck...Not to mention fairly easy to install, even for a novice. They do sell an OEM style harness if you aren't adding lots of features for less money I believe. The last thing I want is to have wiring gremlins pop up after I spent all this time and $ making it right.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
nsb29

If you’re grommets need replaced order them when with the harness as there not included go figure but it’s a nice kit
Old 07-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
Southcity

I have almost the same setup as you except I am running a 700R4. Reach out if anything comes up during your project, happy to send pics or anything else for reference.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
REDROCKER652002

I, like others, have never done this before. I and my son, took our time, checked the directions and purchased a new higher output alternator first. I think AAW set up will have you get rid of the old setup and go with a single wire, internally regulated alternator. My advice, take your time, check your grounds and follow the directions. After that, it was a great father son project that we did. He drives the truck almost daily, and other than a few issue that I think are ground related, the truck starts and runs very well with the new setup. Any questions, please feel free to ask, but I am a weekend warrior at best.

Hey SouthCity, where ya at I am in SSF myself.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
Southcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
Hey SouthCity, where ya at I am in SSF myself.
For many years I was up on Spruce near the SSF letters but am now in the Mountains near Santa Cruz.