The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
67C10Step

Re: What does the future hold - For these trucks

These trucks were very popular where I grew up in north central AR when I was a teenager, 30+ years ago. They were more plentiful and WAY less expensive, but popular.

They are still as popular if not more but availability and price is now limiting those that can get into the hobby. The rise in prices of everything old and automotive can be directed back to the internet. Everything went from local/regional to national and international marketplaces. Used to it was the local newspaper and possibly a printed catalog, or possibly even word of mouth. Now look at us, trucks shipped all over the United States and world.

I think the popularity of these trucks will continue for a long time but will continue to be available to less and less folks as the "good" ones dry up and prices of everything continues to increase.

I couldn't care less what you do to your truck. It's not mine and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Build what you like and can afford. I see some things I'd like to do to my truck and other things I'd never do. I have some buddies that came and looked at my truck and started the whole "you need to do this and that" and I finally just said "you do that to your project, I have other plans for mine." I want a decent truck to hop in and run to town, not smoke tires, do donuts, or drag race. If that's your thing, cool just not mine. If I can get a truck with a 30 foot paint job that runs and drives well you will see nothing but smiles from me.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #27
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
As much as certain people want it the technology is still not there. Without government subsidies it does not make sense. With the subsides it barely makes sense. They invested in this is the only reason the subsides exist.
I am afraid I don't understand your statement. The technology is here. There were folks throwing electric motors and 8-D batteries in Pintos and Vegas the 1970's. Today people are wrecking thousands of Teslas and Prious' every day. It's way better technology and easy to get.
Ten years ago (pre- hybrid car) I was at the local drag strip and saw 30 plus converted electric vehicles racing. I'd wager that today there would be 3 times that many converted vehicles there. If you do an interweb search for how to make and electric car you will have several days of reading.
I am pretty sure there are no subsidies for the folks who modify a vehicle to replace the IC engine with an electrical motor.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #28
tutone

Based on the past, the future is bright. Only if you already own one. You want a bargain, you better know how to fix rust. The "future buyer",needs to know how to spot a faked trim level truck. Especially since there is lots of money difference in base vs super. The "future seller", well he's in good shape. Long beds are bringing short bed prices from 5 years ago. Hardly anybody dislikes the 67-72 body style, no matter their taste in vehicles. I say they are a good investment now, fun to drive, and easy to sell. Also, as far as the market price, they are still, at entry level, about the " cheapest" vehicle to buy into the market. There's my 02$
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71

Last edited by tutone; 07-10-2020 at 02:36 PM.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #29
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Do you know Shawn Parsons in Creswell, OR? He is C10flipper on Instagram. This red and white truck looks very close to one he did which converted a long bed C20 to a short C10.

When all the nice long 1/2 tons are gone, what's the option. Soon you will see more or this as the supply runs out.

Myself, I am a C20 long bed guy but would own a K20 if affordable, which they are not any more.

These guys doing these conversions from long to short, c20 to c10 and LS swaps are getting $10K -$15K. The truck is still patina or rotted, whatever you prefer to call it. scratched glass, ripped seats, no finish work at all.

My prayer is that the younger guys getting into these trucks do them justice and keep them going, long after we are gone. The probability is low but at least we can hope that our generation will help those young guys grow some interest.

I believe it is stronger now than even 5 years ago. Facebook has probably 100 different Chevy truck related pages to choose from.

I am very old school but have to understand the age of LS is here and its not going away. Embrace it or not.
Wow, Junction City
Years ago we had property at the end Of High Pass Rd.
Developed a vineyard, though we would eventually move up there
But never did. Ended up selling the property.
Yes,
I do know Shawn
I actually bought the truck from him to save it, a while back
Since I’m always playing with these trucks, I decided to have him
‘Chop and Drop’ it. As he says
One thing leads to another
Through several discussions and trade deals
He ended up getting the truck back
As it should be....
I was really in the mood of selling off trucks
And he has the market those buyers
I also still really like stock, original trucks.
But I get less bent out of shape when people do their mods
I do however question how a built truck like that
Can command close the the same money as an original
‘To each his own’

Just think of how many trucks we lost in the good old days
When so many were parted out ! (Not by me)
If I Posted all the spids of those glove boxes on the wall
It would make you cry
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #30
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I am afraid I don't understand your statement. The technology is here. There were folks throwing electric motors and 8-D batteries in Pintos and Vegas the 1970's. Today people are wrecking thousands of Teslas and Prious' every day. It's way better technology and easy to get.
Ten years ago (pre- hybrid car) I was at the local drag strip and saw 30 plus converted electric vehicles racing. I'd wager that today there would be 3 times that many converted vehicles there. If you do an interweb search for how to make and electric car you will have several days of reading.
I am pretty sure there are no subsidies for the folks who modify a vehicle to replace the IC engine with an electrical motor.
I've always thought that if someone invented an electric drop-in small block it might actually save the hobby. And if you don't like electric, hey, more gas for the rest of us.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #31
dagnabbitt

When I got my drivers license in 1991, these trucks were already scarce: where I lived, anyway.

It's a testament to how much people love them that you can still find them at all.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #32
tim_mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I've always thought that if someone invented an electric drop-in small block it might actually save the hobby. And if you don't like electric, hey, more gas for the rest of us.
Like this one from Webb:
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/33258/...small-block-v8
https://www.webbmotorworks.com/
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #33
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Do you know Shawn Parsons in Creswell, OR? He is C10flipper on Instagram. This red and white truck looks very close to one he did which converted a long bed C20 to a short C10.

When all the nice long 1/2 tons are gone, what's the option. Soon you will see more or this as the supply runs out.

Myself, I am a C20 long bed guy but would own a K20 if affordable, which they are not any more.

These guys doing these conversions from long to short, c20 to c10 and LS swaps are getting $10K -$15K. The truck is still patina or rotted, whatever you prefer to call it. scratched glass, ripped seats, no finish work at all.

My prayer is that the younger guys getting into these trucks do them justice and keep them going, long after we are gone. The probability is low but at least we can hope that our generation will help those young guys grow some interest.

I believe it is stronger now than even 5 years ago. Facebook has probably 100 different Chevy truck related pages to choose from.

I am very old school but have to understand the age of LS is here and its not going away. Embrace it or not.
At 31 I’m sure I’m once of the younger ones here. I’m doing my best to keep them going and I know there are others around my age who still have interest in them. It’ll be interesting to See how things are in 10-20 years+.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #34
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
‘To each his own’
Our truck world is basically the opposite of what the vette world was 20 years ago. I have no idea what vette world is like now but 20 years ago originality or at least not being modified was king for value. Modified vettes, unless built tastefully by a renowned shop never got near recouping their investment.

These days there are a lot of people turning to our trucks because they are priced out of the muscle car market, even wagons can be really pricey and few want 4 doors. These people probably read magazines that espouse the greatness of their advertisers products for lowering, disc brakes, overdrive, fuel injection etc. These would be muscle car buyers want cool, grandpa’s bone stock truck doesn’t always meet that definition. So modified trucks end up being popular and worth a bit o cash.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:12 AM   #35
70c10-08

Cool Re: What does the future hold - For these trucks

Quote:
If we're talking the future. I predict we will be seeing electric conversions. I had a conversation a while ago with a guy who walked past me and my Burban about how he would love to make it electric powered. Lots of room for battery banks for extra long range coupled with what he felt are decent aerodynamics made him excited about converting a 67-68 Suburban.
I agree with the seeing electric conversions on these trucks in the future and, it seems like everybody wants a clean shortbed with all the amenities AC, LS engine, tilt wheel ect. and wants them to handle like a vette or, fast and easy, to each his own. I'm 30 and I don't mind still working with the old points style ignition, manual steering and no air conditioning. I'm sure glad I got into these when I did lol. The 67-72's I believe will always have a big cult following hey, the 48-54's once were the classic truck to have and, and the squares were old vehicles you couldn't give away. There's a truck for pretty much any taste, concourse resto stock longbeds to heavily modified shortys with Toyota 2JZ engines in them. Only time will tell what the future holds, I believe they'll be extremely popular for a while
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:24 AM   #36
OregonNed

I'm enjoying mine improving and upgrading in more of a restomod approach..
Old 07-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #37
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
Our truck world is basically the opposite of what the vette world was 20 years ago. I have no idea what vette world is like now but 20 years ago originality or at least not being modified was king for value. Modified vettes, unless built tastefully by a renowned shop never got near recouping their investment.
IMO, what happened in the vette world will eventually happen to the truck world. Originality will be the king, the best of the best original well optioned time capsules,( example Joesjunk collection ) will steadily increase in value without costly re doo's. Every truck is different, but a well optioned and maintained vehicle in this era will perform great right out of the box. There are simply fewer time capsules out there than the much more common restored or restomods which rarely recoup their investment.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #38
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
-Everyone has there own truck
-It’s America
-So they can do what they want with it

This site leans more towards originals
-
Instagram leans more towards modifying

My favorite is probably a nice
Stock c10 longbed
I just like how they drive

I started this thread kind of to get the discussion off the
‘Facebook Marketplace finds’ thread

When I posted this truck that I modified

Everyone has an opinion
Let’s here it
And
See if we can keep it a ‘friendly’ conversation
Remarkable truck Chevyland. I like LWB too, and was going to cuss-out who chop them, but then you mentioned friendly conversions

I see both sides, though my preference is original by far. Sure, I'm building one not quite to the SPID, but same color, deluxe where it was only a white top, and I lost the camper mirrors and step bumper. Still factory parts and trim. I'm really not a points guy, and I'm not for a 2000 lb. starter when a 4 lb. works and the TCS is where it belongs in a box someplace. Ooops forgot, I did drop it 4/2.5.

I think it depends on what you start with too. If it's in great shape lean original, if not I can't really say. Be cool as heck to own a LWB 4x4 with an updated drive-train.

I was thinking about this the other day. These trucks are real popular, but strikes me the longer the duration the less desire for original. Speaking for myself I was 10 when mine were built, I like 70s vintage because I was there, appreciate history & quality. GM built some fantastic vehicles, same with the other two, but truck-wise for 67-72, there's no cooler than old Square body are real good too.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-12-2020 at 01:54 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #39
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

My truck is closer to original now that I have removed most of the J.C. Whitney-ish gewgaws off of it. I like the white/hugger orange/white 596 paint scheme it came with, and will repaint the lower section after some needed bodywork is done. My FiL had the whole lower body painted orange when he had it done, but that's not the "born-with. I'll probably put a trans temp gauge in the blank instrument panel spot, and put the tach that is mounted to the dash pad into the tach hole. I'd lose the vacuum gauge, but I don't need that, anyway. That would be about it, really. It does what it was built for and how I use it. Lowering/raising would be silly in my case. OK, I DID put front disc brakes on it, but that's a nice safety upgrade in my book. I'd also like to put in a '70 grill. The '72 egg crate just doesn't look right in there, since he chopped it up.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 07-12-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #40
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mc View Post
Personally I think this is very cool. And I think a little SWB C10 with an electric motor would be a neat ride for running around town and short jaunts. Probably still cost prohibitive to do though.

Motor Trend has a show about electric conversions done by a company over in England. I like what they do.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:43 AM   #41
Richard

Quote:
Forgot I posted here. Do not really want to start a debate as I feel this is not the place. Not saying this is not a cool idea. Lots of power, instant torque on demand. But the cost would be more than my extravagant LSA. Guessing I would have to fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the bed with battery's to gain the range of my 31 gal tank. Consider the weight of the battery's. Charging is not free. Battery's have a life expectancy and are expensive. Sorry, I feel this is not a viable option right now except for a short range small car. JMHO
I like stock and modified trucks. It is yours, do what you want. Anyone think that people in 2070 will be restoring 2020 trucks like the folks here do? Guessing that will not be an option.

Last edited by Richard; 07-13-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #42
cj847

Drop in electric "small block" at SEMA (direct from GM). Not my taste as I like noise and fumes from burning dinosaurs,,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEmDVvUDOQ

https://www.motor1.com/news/380420/c...-concept-sema/
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #43
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Wow, Junction City
Years ago we had property at the end Of High Pass Rd.
Developed a vineyard, though we would eventually move up there
But never did. Ended up selling the property.
Yes,
I do know Shawn
I actually bought the truck from him to save it, a while back
Since I’m always playing with these trucks, I decided to have him
‘Chop and Drop’ it. As he says
One thing leads to another
Through several discussions and trade deals
He ended up getting the truck back
As it should be....
I was really in the mood of selling off trucks
And he has the market those buyers
I also still really like stock, original trucks.
But I get less bent out of shape when people do their mods
‘To each his own’

Just think of how many trucks we lost in the good old days
When so many were parted out ! (Not by me)
If I Posted all the spids of those glove boxes on the wall
It would make you cry
I have heard (by Mr Barton) it was the gb door collection that sets the bar. It is a small world. I am one of the in the middle guys. I not a fan of 100 pure bone stock and not a fan of the LS conversions in these trucks but this is the world we live in and everyone has their idea of what they think is cool. I do not like herd behavior. I think a person should set up their truck the way they like it and not worry about what the masses think.

Shawn is a great guy. I see him about once a month or so.

Keep on truckin there sir. I love your collection.

Tiom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #44
LS short box

I record and then watch most of the car auctions. Mecums this last weekend. My .02 on all types of older cars or trucks is the completely original and the nicely done Pro-Tour style cars bring best money. The hot rods that in my opinion that are really taking in the shorts are street rods that were done in the 80's-90's. The typical at the time where everything was painted body color and now out style billet aluminum wheels.
Again just my .02.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #45
SCHRUMGMC

I got addicted to old trucks when I was 17, now I am 26 and I plan on being in love with these trucks til the day I die. What started my love for the old trucks is my grandfathers 1971 GMC Sierra

The future is bright for them in my opinion
Old 07-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #46
Cyanide93

26 here, had mine since 16, just had it painted.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #47
geunther

The truth is, everyone is right. I do like seeing the creativity in the modified trucks. How to you modify one of these in an original way? That is the challenge. I also agree that numerous electric motors will find their way to these trucks.

I personally appreciate the original trucks. I say that because of the effort it takes to keep one of these original. At least those that are driven to any degree. Arguably, it is harder to stay original than it is to modify, and likely just as expensive.

For example, I recently had my proportioning/combination valve fail. My truck is fairly original except for battery, tires, and such, so of course I went with rebuilding vs sourcing a replacement. It would have been much easier to replace, but I suppose I like the challenge.

I absolutely agree with to each their own. But, admittedly it kills me to see a survivor get modified. Now a basket case?, modify the heck out of it.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #48
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide93 View Post
THAT is a great looking truck
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:41 PM   #49
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
The truth is, everyone is right. I do like seeing the creativity in the modified trucks. How to you modify one of these in an original way? That is the challenge. I also agree that numerous electric motors will find their way to these trucks.

I personally appreciate the original trucks. I say that because of the effort it takes to keep one of these original. At least those that are driven to any degree. Arguably, it is harder to stay original than it is to modify, and likely just as expensive.

For example, I recently had my proportioning/combination valve fail. My truck is fairly original except for battery, tires, and such, so of course I went with rebuilding vs sourcing a replacement. It would have been much easier to replace, but I suppose I like the challenge.

I absolutely agree with to each their own. But, admittedly it kills me to see a survivor get modified. Now a basket case?, modify the heck out of it.

Agreed...... !
Old 07-13-2020, 11:57 PM   #50
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
I got addicted to old trucks when I was 17, now I am 26 and I plan on being in love with these trucks til the day I die. What started my love for the old trucks is my grandfathers 1971 GMC Sierra

The future is bright for them in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide93 View Post

Very cool
You guys are my kids age
I appreciate you both dig these trucks.
I, too fell in love with this era
In the passenger seat of my grandfather’s 72
In my opinion, that was the best
Dash designed, ever, in a vehicle !
Attached Images