The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2020, 01:01 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Harbor Freight recalling replacement jack stands that replaced recalled jack stands

.....Yikes. All fun and games until a jack stand busts on you.

To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
tim_mc

Re: Harbor Freight recalling replacement jack stands that replaced recalled jack stan

Wow...scary. Even with jackstands, I also leave the floor jack under with tension just in case. My dad has some blocks cut from railroad ties with old screen door pull handles screwed onto the end for easy handling. We use them often at his shop.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #3
toolboxchev

Re: Harbor Freight recalling replacement jack stands that replaced recalled jack stan

Wow! Well I just feel they are doing a funtaxstic job. Good thing I got my 3rd set replaced already.

I am on set 4, so I feel safe.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

It's good to know that when one of these mass marketing merchants discovers a flawed and very dangerous product defect that they pull it. It's a comfort to know the product that replaces it has been tested and inspected with great scrutiny to avoid a repeat of the same issue . This is not ridiculous, this is pathetic and actually could be seen as criminally irresponsible. What did they do, change the color???

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
toolboxchev

Dealing with China comes at a great cost that is unseen. This is why the general public gets it in the rears.

They lie, cheat, fraud, steal, the list goes on and on. Ends up the American company who sells the product stateside passes on those costs.

Lots of companies out there willing to take that risk, instead of being prudent from the getgo.

I have worked in manufacturing and am now owed by the Fed Gov. and the company I worked for a College Education due to shipping jobs overseas.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
mr48chev

The problem with the first batch that were bad was worn out equipment in that particular factory. Shoddy manufacturing processes on the rest I'd think.

The reason we see several part numbers listed for some items that HF sells that look the same is those part numbers tell HF what factory the piece came from.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
AussieinNC

So much more than shoddy welding here....

There have been failures of both welds and material adjacent to the welds

See pic...

While HF may be ok for some tools, I wont buy any safety related equipment from them ever again.

Attached Images

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mc View Post
Wow...scary. Even with jackstands, I also leave the floor jack under with tension just in case. My dad has some blocks cut from railroad ties with old screen door pull handles screwed onto the end for easy handling. We use them often at his shop.
RR ties is a nice idea. I like blocks as well, and jack stands for everyone. I top most of my blocks with 1/8" sheets of rubber or barn stall mats. Trailer and frame friendly.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 07-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
RR ties is a nice idea. I like blocks as well, and jack stands for everyone. I top most of my blocks with 1/8" sheets of rubber or barn stall mats. Trailer and frame friendly.
If by "blocks" you mean cement blocks - they are unsafe. They work fine right up until they crumble, and kill you or whoever is under the truck. Quality jack stands are really the only way to go. Now, unfortunately, nobody is sure whether what they are buying IS of any quality. You may not have meant cement blocks, but mentioning just in case someone interpreted it that way.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
If by "blocks" you mean cement blocks - they are unsafe. They work fine right up until they crumble, and kill you or whoever is under the truck. Quality jack stands are really the only way to go. Now, unfortunately, nobody is sure whether what they are buying IS of any quality. You may not have meant cement blocks, but mentioning just in case someone interpreted it that way.
Agree, I use wooden blocks, generally 2x 8-10" stacked, though have a few out of plywood too & they're stout. Glued and screwed. The rubber helps the grip too, I nearly learned a very hard lesson using painted blocks, SEMI-GLOSS. Don't do that either, less than level your trailer can end up in the river with you on it, dirt was like concrete.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-11-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #11
tim_mc

Maybe HF should market recycled sections of railroad ties with handles on the ends and rubber mat on the face? I'd buy those.