The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Derecho Out Of Iowa

Has anyone been affected by this "direct wind"? I heard it reported to exceed 100mph! The one we had out of Missouri was 85mph and it was very damaging

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Derecho Out Of Iowa

I'm council bluffs. We had a lightning stand down for less than an hour, but no wind damage. Came and went fast.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
A lot of damage around here. I lost all of the Peaches off of 4 trees, two medium size limbs, and a piece of fascia on the west side of my house. But my whole barn is now leaning to the East 2 feet. It wasn't in real good shape to start with but I have a lot of parts stored in it. I need to figure out how to brace it up enough to get the stuff out of it. Some of the support posts inside are cracked. It is a big barn (50x50 feet)

A friend just told me that two 100,000 bushel grain bins are laying across the railroad tracks 7 miles North of me . They were just built about 3 years ago.

106 mph wind 17 miles north of me. My weather station registered 74 mph.

Luckily I had just cut down all of the tall trees around my house about a month ago. They were all dead from the Ash borers.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
67C10Step

I am the local Fisher control valve engineer for Arkansas and was informed the factory/headquarters in Marshalltown, IA was hit pretty hard and out of power.

Hope all are safe up there.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Really outrageous winds up there. Cat 3 hurricane strength. Real strange. And that big blow extended on over to Indiana.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
A lot of damage around here. I lost all of the Peaches off of 4 trees, two medium size limbs, and a piece of fascia on the west side of my house. But my whole barn is now leaning to the East 2 feet. It wasn't in real good shape to start with but I have a lot of parts stored in it. I need to figure out how to brace it up enough to get the stuff out of it. Some of the support posts inside are cracked. It is a big barn (50x50 feet)

A friend just told me that two 100,000 bushel grain bins are laying across the railroad tracks 7 miles North of me . They were just built about 3 years ago.

106 mph wind 17 miles north of me. My weather station registered 74 mph.

Luckily I had just cut down all of the tall trees around my house about a month ago. They were all dead from the Ash borers.

LockDoc
I feel for you Leon ,,that has to be thought out very carefully ..I can see big pole props put up on the side leaning ,but until there is no more winds ,,best to just stay out of the barn.. it was 1962 when winds of 100 mph in my area in Oregon .. took down a lot of barns.. be safe my friend .

Last edited by GOPAPA; 08-11-2020 at 04:24 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Best of wishes to everyone affected by this. Leon, hope you can get everything situated quickly. I remember when one of these derecho’s came thru northern va in 2012 or so. We lost power for 2 weeks up on top the Blue Ridge. That was one hell of a lightning/wind storm when it came thru. These things are no joke.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #8
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

In my town we didn't get the 100mph winds so minimal damage to my house and stuff.
But parts of our town lost huge trees and limbs etc. My Dad lives 8 miles NW of me in Mitchellville. He lost several trees and fences. He currently has no power. My in laws live roughly 15 miles north of us outside of Valeria, and they lost around 15 trees and are still without power. My brother Scott lives in Mingo and he lost nearly every tree he has on his property. Luckily none of them damaged his house or vehicles.

I was in Altoona Iowa when it hit there and I've never been in a wind storm quite like that. It has straight line winds but also swirling winds too. The winds were over 100mph so driving a mini van load full of kids was not my idea of a good time. It was literally like driving in the movie Twister with more rain.

The top 2 pics are my Dad's place. The bottom left is a farm just west of my in laws. The bottom right pic is a farm 2 miles south of my brother's house.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That bottom right pic in the last post is a real shame. That building was brand new last summer. It's been so dry here that a lot of trees got up rooted too. Here are some pics of my in laws back yard. And one of my car. It was setting at their house during the whole thing. I didn't know we were getting any hurricane type storms other wise I would have driven the truck. I bet I stopped 10x or more to move branches and trees off the road to get to work.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #10
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Wow! I’m you guys are ok. I don’t remember ever reading anything like this happening in Iowa.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Wow! I’m you guys are ok. I don’t remember ever reading anything like this happening in Iowa.
Me either! But I do recall a crazy tornado in Kansas that swept some girl and her dog away in her house.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
best view

Well that one will be hard to beat
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Derecho: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

I thought of each of you Iowa members and wondered who might have been in it's path. I also wondered who else in the states to the east might have been caught in it. Leon, it sounds pretty bad for you. I have straightened leaning bldgs. before, up to 18" of lean with a twist was the worst. Let me know if you need a brain to pick.

That one that came through this area, and it's path cut straight from Missouri about 750 miles away, was in June '12. I never heard of these before. I have a story, as I was caught in it's path, yet below it's direct shot.

It was a Friday evening just after dark. I had set up at the Harpers Ferry Flea Market that evening, gone into the Mexican restaurant for dinner, and was checking out the cruise-in at Home Depot. The DJ said something about shutting it down due to the weather and I didn't know what he meant. Then my girlfriend called saying severe weather was coming. I thought, ok, thunderstorms so I headed back to the flea market. I was in my '85 Jimmy with soft top, sides rolled up. On my way back it started spitting rain and I hurried back and put the sides down. It wasn't hardly raining, so I kicked back against the folded rear seat with a beer, tailgate down, rear piece of the top flipped up, and was looking at the light show of lightening across the mountain in Maryland while talking to a truck site buddy in KY a while. Then came hard rain sideways and a lot of wind. I closed the back all up and told my buddy I thought I better get off the phone, some severe weather was coming on. That Jimmy was rocking like a cradle. The flea market was on an old drive-in movie site, so nowhere to go like a basement. Best thing to do was stay put and hope the Jimmy didn't start flying. I felt like I was in a tent held down by a Jimmy. All I could do was hope it landed on all 4s if it got lifted. It went on so long I laid down and tried to sleep with it rocking back and forth. As it started to weaken I fell asleep.

I always wake up early. I headed out to get coffee toward Charles Town. The first light was working and the convenience store was lit up, seemed normal. Got my coffee and went back. By then the vendors should have been starting to show up, but nobody. I noticed a lot of small branches on the ground. Finally a couple vendors showed up way after the sun was up. They didn't live far away and they told couldn't get there from here stories. A whole string of powerline poles down, tree across the road, etc. And no shoppers at all. I think it was around noon before things got somewhat rolling, but very few vendors and shoppers.

You had to be in it's path to be affected, and on a certain elevation. Low placed still had plastic lawn chairs sitting upright. High places had trees uprooted and not much of anything unharmed. My girlfriend just west of Charles Town had no evidence in her area. When I went home on Sunday, nothing happening in my area. I had all the house windows open and nothing got wet. It had traveled into Washington, DC and knocked power out thread and everywhere in it's path. The whole grid was destroyed in it's path. Took a couple weeks to get all power restored. A crazy kind of storm to be sure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2...erican_derecho

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #14
pritch

Dang. I hope everyone is OK!

We had a thing come thru here many years ago and I always wondered what it was. I have a mountain just west of me, the peak is probably 10 miles or so, maybe less. But from where I lived at the time I knew that when storms come over that peak, you got about 20 minutes to get everything you don't want wet put away.

This day, the peak disappeared and 5 minutes later it was blowing really hard and hailing to beat the band. After a while it was over and we went to check things out, Coalville was kind of on the north edge of it and where I live now, 4 miles south of Coalville was kind of on the south edge. I'd say the thing wasn't more than 5 miles wide, but in the center it tore stuff up! Pretty much knocked down everything it encountered. A few days later, me and a buddy went up in the Uintahs fishing, and we came to a place where we could could look out over maybe 50 miles of forest and every single tree was broke off about half way up it's trunk. We just stood there in slack-jawed amazement. I was still only maybe a half mile wide or so where the major damage was, and I am sure that nothing could have lived through it had they been where them trees was all broke off.

So I just looked around the web for a minute, wondering if it was the same thing (because it looks like this is mostly a flatland kind of thing) and I think I found it. Apparently, there was another one back in June, and this meteorologist speaks of that one but she has tracked others, and the one from May, 1994 would have been around that time. I hope this link works:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/derecho-u...amage-colorado

Scroll down some and there's a tweet or whatever from Elizabeth Leitman. The picture in the upper left corner of her tweet thing shows the one from '94. Pretty wild stuff. Very rare around here.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:42 PM   #15
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Derecho: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

I thought of each of you Iowa members and wondered who might have been in it's path. I also wondered who else in the states to the east might have been caught in it. Leon, it sounds pretty bad for you. I have straightened leaning bldgs. before, up to 18" of lean with a twist was the worst. Let me know if you need a brain to pick.

That one that came through this area, and it's path cut straight from Missouri about 750 miles away, was in June '12. I never heard of these before. I have a story, as I was caught in it's path, yet below it's direct shot.

It was a Friday evening just after dark. I had set up at the Harpers Ferry Flea Market that evening, gone into the Mexican restaurant for dinner, and was checking out the cruise-in at Home Depot. The DJ said something about shutting it down due to the weather and I didn't know what he meant. Then my girlfriend called saying severe weather was coming. I thought, ok, thunderstorms so I headed back to the flea market. I was in my '85 Jimmy with soft top, sides rolled up. On my way back it started spitting rain and I hurried back and put the sides down. It wasn't hardly raining, so I kicked back against the folded rear seat with a beer, tailgate down, rear piece of the top flipped up, and was looking at the light show of lightening across the mountain in Maryland while talking to a truck site buddy in KY a while. Then came hard rain sideways and a lot of wind. I closed the back all up and told my buddy I thought I better get off the phone, some severe weather was coming on. That Jimmy was rocking like a cradle. The flea market was on an old drive-in movie site, so nowhere to go like a basement. Best thing to do was stay put and hope the Jimmy didn't start flying. I felt like I was in a tent held down by a Jimmy. All I could do was hope it landed on all 4s if it got lifted. It went on so long I laid down and tried to sleep with it rocking back and forth. As it started to weaken I fell asleep.

I always wake up early. I headed out to get coffee toward Charles Town. The first light was working and the convenience store was lit up, seemed normal. Got my coffee and went back. By then the vendors should have been starting to show up, but nobody. I noticed a lot of small branches on the ground. Finally a couple vendors showed up way after the sun was up. They didn't live far away and they told couldn't get there from here stories. A whole string of powerline poles down, tree across the road, etc. And no shoppers at all. I think it was around noon before things got somewhat rolling, but very few vendors and shoppers.

You had to be in it's path to be affected, and on a certain elevation. Low placed still had plastic lawn chairs sitting upright. High places had trees uprooted and not much of anything unharmed. My girlfriend just west of Charles Town had no evidence in her area. When I went home on Sunday, nothing happening in my area. I had all the house windows open and nothing got wet. It had traveled into Washington, DC and knocked power out thread and everywhere in it's path. The whole grid was destroyed in it's path. Took a couple weeks to get all power restored. A crazy kind of storm to be sure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2...erican_derecho
Yes sir, I was a few miles easy of you on route 9 just past sweet springs store. Dad and I had to cut 10+ trees up just to get back to Shady Lane from his driveway. we lived on a couple generators for a few weeks. I’ve only seen rain that side ways before when the lower strength hurricanes have come thru in the past. I bet that storm lasted every bit of an hour+ and it was nonstop, no lulls at all until it was gone. I remember 9 on the West Virginia side looking like a war zone the next day on my way to Berryville where my grandparents live. By the time we got to 340 in West Virginia it was like nothing happened. Might I add that all happened while my in-laws were on there first visit to Virginia from New Mexico? I’m amazed they ever came back. We ended up having to stay at the hotel at Hollywood casino while they were there because they couldn’t handle the crazy humidity and high heat that came after the storm with no ac in the house. It was a miserable situation all around.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #16
notsolo

Some how this developed somewhere near S. Dakota and ran east at 60 mph,100 + mph winds.... Iowa and Indiana got the worst of it,
saw some of this on the farm report this morning possibly a million acres of crops leveled....and alot more silo's, houses, barns that probably have not been reported
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here are some pictures of the huge grain bins North of me. They already had the main line tracks cleared by the time the wife and I could get up there.

First three pictures are of the South side & last two pictures are of the North side. The last picture is the where the one that completely blew down & blocked the tracks was standing.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #18
Greg58

Those pics are amazing, we had the storm come thru here (near Omaha) with only 65-70 mph winds. I lost a branch from my apple tree. Some trees down and power lost in the area.
Our Power company has gone to the Des Moines area to help.
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

A million acres of farm ground damaged, that is just craziness. The shortage of storage problem farmers were worried about for this harvest just went away. Now there will be a shortage of both crops. Those bins don't look to be that old Leon. What a bad deal. I'm really curious if any wind turbines got damaged? I heard a cell phone tower up by story city came down across the interstate. We had a semi get blown over in Cedar Rapids. The lightning from this storm was severely crazy as well. The bolts looked double the width of typical thunder storms.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #20
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Man that’s crazy how they folded up like tin cans. (I guess that’s essentially what they are)
Old 08-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #21
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Leon.. did you also have your classic cars and trucks in the barn? hope they came out ok if you did.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #22
1976gmc20

Yeah, I heard about this yesterday on "Adams On Agriculture".

Said soybeans were mostly okay, some corn was broke off and ruined, other corn was just blown down and would be difficult or impossible to harvest.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #23
Old Truck Man

Likely had the grain bins been full they would have faired better. they are designed to hold stuff in not withstand outside pressure. We has a 100 MPH wind over a decade ago. Tore stuff on the higher elevations never harmed anything in the valleys. Expect more of these weird events. We are having a Magnetic Pole shift. and that effects the plate Techtonics. The Jet stream briefly even flowed from east to west a few years ago. We are in the beginning stages of an End of a Age Earth change. Its not caused by mans activities and cannot be mitigated. It would still occur even if man had never walked the planet.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #24
72supr

Crap happens.Always has always will.Sixty mile an hour wind here but no damage.Never heard it called Derecho we always called it the damn wind.Gonna be tough going for the people affected for sure.Combining that corn is going to be painstakingly slow if at all possible .If you make your living from the the land you always say next year will be better.
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #25
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
All I have in the barn is extra parts for the cars and trucks. (lots of them) The mowers, a 4 wheeler, & extra siding and trim for the house. All of the vehicles are in buildings and garages with no damage. I am in the process of bracing the walls so I can get the parts out of the haymow/hayloft. I'm sure if that thing decides to go over nothing is going to stop it but I think it will slow it down enough to give me time to jump out of one of the doors up there. There are 2 doors on the South side and two doors on the North side. We shall see.

LockDoc

-