The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
jmbstudios
Pickin' and a Grinin'

Grounding Strap

After going through 2 control modules in my distributor, a mechanic told me that I probably have a ground problem.
He said he had a 71 swb truck with the same problem. He found that he had to put a better ground from the engine to the frame. He also ran one from the engine to the battery. Problem solved.

So does anyone have a location suggestion on where to put this ground that would be easy for a newbie?

I know I need to find a bolt on the engine somewhere.

Whatcha think??????
jmbstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Re: Grounding Strap

When I add a ground strap I usually go from a bell housing to block bolt on the passenger side to the frame usually through an existing hole...The always seems to be one near by. There are 1000 different ways to do it but down there it's a short distance and easy mounting points.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Frizzle Fry

Put it somewhere out of sight, mount it solid, and be sure it has enough slack to allow the engine to move without pulling it. Oh, and be sure to scrape the contact surfaces clean. Maybe stating the obvious, but you asked

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 06-08-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:40 AM   #4
GMCPaul

For your motor you should have the ground wire from battery connected to the passenger side front of cylinder head, then at rear of both V-8 valve covers going from last bottom rear bolt on each valve cover should be a groundstrap running from these bolts on both sides attached to the cab firewall, on passenger side front inner fender lower edge where it meets frame as it curves down should be another fround strap running from inner fender to frame, you should have a 4th ground strap running from frame to passenger side front cab support, and a 5th strap from rear bed cross-sill to frame, without all the proper grounding straps you can have a ton of odd electrical problems from some lights working intermintaly, to poor charging, electrical parts failure, etc....
We carry the 5pc electrical ground strap sets with hardware to install on the following page of our web site if interested,
http://www.gmcpauls.com/Electrical.htm
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

GMC Paul, Thanks for the info on the straps. I was looking for that in the assembly manual and could not find it. I was looking for the bed to frame strap for my 100 pt. restoration and could not find it. Not wanting to drill another hole in the frame...I had to cobble up something to make it work. Now I know where it is supposed to be. I love this board!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
jmbstudios
Pickin' and a Grinin'

Great!!

I am not a mechanic, so the advice on this board really helps me out in doing this myself...

I really appreciate it.

By the way, do you have the measurements for the 5 straps, so I can go down to the local NAPA and get them on today??

Thank You

Jeff

Last edited by jmbstudios; 06-09-2006 at 02:58 PM.
jmbstudios is offline   Reply With Quote