The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Sundrop

Rear main seal

Is it possible to put a 1 piece rear main seal in a motor that has a 2 piece rear main seal?
Sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Rear main seal

Simple answer is No. On 1 piece rear main blocks there is an adapter that holds the rear main seal which bolts on externally. Also the crank itself is different.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Sundrop

Ok thanks for the info!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

FWIW, I do know you can go the other way though. I am running an engine in a project that is a 1-piece block with a 2-piece real seal adapter. The reason for doing this is if you have a special crank (perhaps a custom internally balanced crank in a stroker for example) and you want to cheaply run it in a modern roller/vortec block. A high quality adapter won't leak and makes it easier to change the 2-piece seal if needed. Not saying running one of these is a great idea. Switching a 1-piece for a 2-piece is going backwards, but it does work if you need it for some reason. It used to be an old school (well late 80s & 90s) hot rod trick since it will expand your options if you want an internally balanced crank on a 1-piece block. Normally a 1-piece block eliminates some (or all) of the rear counterweight on the crank thus often forcing an external balance crank on 99% of the 1-piece projects. That's a little more history as to why it's hard to switch from one to the other.

Nowadays there are many more crank choices available, so it isn't as common to do the 1-piece to 2-piece conversion.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Sundrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
FWIW, I do know you can go the other way though. I am running an engine in a project that is a 1-piece block with a 2-piece real seal adapter. The reason for doing this is if you have a special crank (perhaps a custom internally balanced crank in a stroker for example) and you want to cheaply run it in a modern roller/vortec block. A high quality adapter won't leak and makes it easier to change the 2-piece seal if needed. Not saying running one of these is a great idea. Switching a 1-piece for a 2-piece is going backwards, but it does work if you need it for some reason. It used to be an old school (well late 80s & 90s) hot rod trick since it will expand your options if you want an internally balanced crank on a 1-piece block. Normally a 1-piece block eliminates some (or all) of the rear counterweight on the crank thus often forcing an external balance crank on 99% of the 1-piece projects. That's a little more history as to why it's hard to switch from one to the other.

Nowadays there are many more crank choices available, so it isn't as common to do the 1-piece to 2-piece conversion.
I was talking about converting a 2 piece into a 1 piece
Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
I was talking about converting a 2 piece into a 1 piece
Yeah, I know, hence the "for what it's worth" -- in case there were others reading who wondered if you can go the other way.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Sundrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Yeah, I know, hence the "for what it's worth" -- in case there were others reading who wondered if you can go the other way.
ok lol just making sure we was talking about the samething