The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Shyguy

Re: swappin a 292 for a 350

I am not an expert, but I have heard that the V-6 and the I-6 are different as to how they set in the engine compartment and have different mounts.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
I am not an expert, but I have heard that the V-6 and the I-6 are different as to how they set in the engine compartment and have different mounts.

Danny
That is true the v6 and I6 have different motor mounts and towers, but they both sit have the tranny in the same spot which is farther back than the 350. This is because the I6 and v6 have a longer overall length so they have to move the tranny back to avoid radiator interference. I know it sounds funny that the v6 is longer than the v8, but the v6 is a huge monster! It is also true that the 292 has motor towers that sit offset from each other, so one is the same as a 250 and the other is unique to the 292.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
raycow

I can't speak for GMC, but on Chevy trucks with manual transmissions the V-8 and 6 cyl bellhousing crossmembers are all in the same location. On my truck a PO did a 6 cyl to V-8 swap and the crossmember was not moved.

Some rodders doing V-8 swaps like to put the front mounts in the forward set of holes on the front crossmember to gain more room for the distributor or valve covers. All of the swaps that I have seen like this were either automatic or had hydraulic clutch linkage. If GM had allowed for the stock clutch linkage to work with the engine in the forward position, I am sure at least some of these swaps would have used it.

The forward set of holes is used the right side only with the 292 because on that engine the locations of the mounting holes (on the block) and the fuel pump were reversed when compared to the 230 and 250 engines.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
I can't speak for GMC, but on Chevy trucks with manual transmissions the V-8 and 6 cyl bellhousing crossmembers are all in the same location. On my truck a PO did a 6 cyl to V-8 swap and the crossmember was not moved.

Some rodders doing V-8 swaps like to put the front mounts in the forward set of holes on the front crossmember to gain more room for the distributor or valve covers. All of the swaps that I have seen like this were either automatic or had hydraulic clutch linkage. If GM had allowed for the stock clutch linkage to work with the engine in the forward position, I am sure at least some of these swaps would have used it.

The forward set of holes is used the right side only with the 292 because on that engine the locations of the mounting holes (on the block) and the fuel pump were reversed when compared to the 230 and 250 engines.

Ray
So are you saying the four speeds all sat back? it was my understanding that all of the v8 (except 4x4) sat in the forward holes. If so it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong...just ask my wife

The only reason I didn't change to the front holes is because I didn't want to have to get a longer driveline. I didn't even think about the clutch linkage, as a matter a fact I had to modify it to work in my current setup.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's

Last edited by Jacfourteen; 05-31-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
So are you saying the four speeds all sat back?
Sorry, I wrote that badly. I should have said "on all the factory installs that I have seen". However, you did bring up a good way of finding out. If anyone here has access to a parts manual, it should certainly tell if the 6 cyl and V-8 driveshafts are the same length.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to mod your clutch linkage if you installed your engine in the stock location? Was it needed to clear headers?

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you have to mod your clutch linkage if you installed your engine in the stock location?
Ray
Now that I'm thinking about it I didn't have to modify it, it just doesn't sit straight. When you are looking at it from front of the truck with the hood open bellcrank isn't square with the engine. IIRC the ball on the engine sits farther back than the notch in the frame bracket, making it crooked. I was gonna modify or move the frame bracket, but have had bigger bugs to work out first (like hooking up the E-fan, you can see the dangling plug in the picture a few posts back). Sorry for the confusion. It seems like when most people do a v8 swap they throw in an auto, so not to many are sure about how to make the 4 speed work. I know I did alot of research when I was swapping mine and the info is hard to come by.