The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2003, 02:41 PM   #1
krazy_texan

rockers

i need a step by step walkthrough prefferably with pics of how to replace my rocker panels any and all help would be appreciated.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
ginter

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of that process myself. I will have to do it eventually. Thanks for asking the question.
ginter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #3
Frank_Zeller

Me too :0)

Austin-Texas
Frank_Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
kxmotox247

When is efabman going to put out those how-to videos? Has anyone heard anything about those?
I would definately buy a video if he's still planning to make them.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Dido on the pics. I think I'm going to make Slammed67 help me with mine (shhhh, I haven't told him yet).

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
StingRay

I have a full series of pics that can be organized into a linear progression but I would need a good photo hoster. I don't think I want to make 20 or 30 seperate posts here to do it. Anybody know of a good host?
Old 06-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
Boones

Here is a host site that is used alot by guys on the HAMB message board, its free and will hold about 125 pics...
http://starphoto.starblvd.net
Boones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:09 PM   #8
rambler
MOVE OVER

I sure could use the pics as well,, In a few weeks I'll have site set up and could possibly post them there as well...
Old 06-25-2003, 12:00 AM   #9
krazy_texan

i really need this before the end of august because that is when the truck goes to paint and it cost $350 to install them
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 06-25-2003, 12:41 AM   #10
StingRay

l guess I should ask if you are only replacing rockers. I am in process of replacing the front floor, inner rocker, front and rear supports and cab corners. The actual rocker is last and almost incidental. I really have never seen anything that only needs just rockers with no other related work to the backings or other related parts.

If you still have the doors on this is how I do it. It only involves drilling the spot welds and a bit of air chiseling. To do only a rocker air chisel or use a cut off wheel along the the lower flange of the rocker leaving the actual skin of the outer on the flange attached to the rocker backing. Find and drill all of the spot welds that can be accessed on the rocker and drill them out with a spot weld cutter or other suitable type of bit. Use a cut off wheel to slice vertically up the front of the rocker at it's front most edge just back of where the front fender meets up with it. Take caution not to cut through any of the backing or pillars. The bulk of the rocker can be pulled away. Next use an air chisel to break the spot welds and to peel away the front most portion of the rocker from the front pillar. At this point any left over sheet metal along the lower flange and at any of the spot welds can be chiseled and ground away. At this point sand blast, grind, etc any rust affected areas and repair as necessary. Use tech screws to temporarily install the new rocker for a test fit with the door in place. Check the gaps at the bottom. Adjust as necessary. Punch or drill holes in the same locations in the rockers as the original spot welds and prime any bare metal with a zinc based weld through coating. Screw back in place and plug weld it up. Seal any joints as it would have been at the factory.

If it is rockers only you are interested in I will see if I can assemble a series of pics to try and represent that only. Otherwise I can post the entire process. Let me know what you want to see
Old 06-25-2003, 01:20 AM   #11
krazy_texan

just rockers the guy that owned the truck before me had the cab supports done about 3 years ago and i guess he ran out of money or something but now i am ready to send it to get painted but dont want to pay to have the rockers done.
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 06-25-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
StingRay

Ok I'll work on it. I know you guys get alot of rust free stuff down there but if it needed supports and it needs rockers don't be surpirised if when you get in there you end up needing rocker backs and maybe some work on a bit of the floor and the front and rear lower pillars. Cab corners are likely to need some amount of work as well. I hope I'm wrong. Just rockers should be able to be done in a day with an air chisel, a cut off wheel, a drill and spot weld bit, a grinder, a mig welder, a body hammer and a heel dolly ( can be improvised with other hammers) you may also want to have a sandblaster. You will need some zinc based weld through primer and some seem sealer as well. In a good fitting application it would be possible to glue these on using an autobody structural adhesive. I'll be out of town for a while and won't be able to get a start on it till some time next week or weekend.