The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
ulakovic22

Frame Tweaked?

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of putting my very first 67 back together and I've figured out most of it, but this one has me stumped. I couldn't get the driver side fender to line up so I took everything off the front end and found out I had the wrong core support and bushings.

I went ahead and bought a new core support for a 67/68 and took out the bushings all together since the 67/68 are just rubber washers basically. I then bolted the fenders to the cab and core support, leaving the core support loose. The below picture shows that the driver side actually fits really well, but the passenger side sits pretty high. The gap in the picture is just under 1.25.

The cab bushings are new and currently loose and the fender/door gaps are pictured below as well. Thoughts?

ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: Frame Tweaked?

I would think a 2X4 an a level would answer your question. Fender/ door gap looks real good. I would try to find a spacer or have a deep detailed conversation with someone who specializes in frames if it was mine. Looks like a lot of work in this truck already to give up on it.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
litew8

The left rail looks like it is bent down, or the right rail is bent up.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Kennuck

Unless its the camera angle it looks like the frame ends are not parallel to the front k member.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
ulakovic22

The truck is on bags and both bags were at 55 psi. When I lay an angle iron across the horns for level it says the passenger is high/driver is low. If I air out the passenger side air bag to get the frame level the gaps remain the same between the core and frame.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
kxmotox247

If I had to guess... I'd say its the passenger side frame horn. If you think it's bad now... wait till you try to hang a bumper on it.
I'm sure if you're creative, you can tweak it back in. I know a guy that has floor anchors in the cement in his shop for holding/pushing/bending. A body shop with a frame machine could bring you back into shape really quick.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Tinkermc

A frame shop could most likely fix your probelm for about $200. Or you could adjust every thing from now on.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
hugger6933

It is the right rail that is down and the left one [driver side] is in the right place. if you were to place the core support on the right frame rail, it would make the fender/door gap way open at the top and tight at the bottom meaning it is down in front. On the other hand, if you have a gap at the fender/door that is wide at the bottom and tight at the top it means the front frame rail is up or that the cab is down in the middle. But just looking at the first pic you can tell the pass side rail in the one that is down. Or maybe it is just a me thing I look at bent ones every day. I have a body shop w/a frame rack to bad your not close it would be a super easy fix. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
Hawghauler

Have you looked at your cab mounts? Does the bed line up with the cab correctly? Could the cab be lower on one side and the frame is fine? These trucks have pretty thick cab mounts, and when they've had weathering this long, sometimes they just disintegrate or sag on one side. Just a thought.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
slikside

Yeah, if your truck is on level ground, that passenger frame rail is way low. You can also see how the bumper support arm is not in plane with the driver side.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
ulakovic22

A little update. I arid up the back, leveled the frame rails and put it on jack stands. I did the same on the front rails. The gaps up front are now 1" on the passenger side and 3/4" on the driver side. The bottom of the fender/door gaps seem to have a little room for improvement so I'm going to bring them in a little and see if that tilts the front down a little more. I'm thinking once I tighten up the cab mounts it will pull it down some as well. Hopefully I'll have some pics of my progress tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
Sammy

1/4 " is nothing, you can shim that. you almost expect that much on a 40 plus year old truck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

To anyone I talk to that is putting one of these trucks together, I recommend taking it to a frame shop. Even if the truck has never been wrecked, it could have been severely overloaded several times, or had other traumas that might have done damage. If you suspect that your chassis is bent, You should make it a priority.