The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Mrmadmanmill

Shift linkage question?

I just installed a Lokar shift linkage kit from my steering column to my 700R4 transmission. I am not positive I know which position on the transmission is Park and which is 1st gear...

If you turn the mount on the transmission all the way clockwise am I in park or in 1st gear? I am confused on this because if all the way clockwise is 1st gear how the heck do you make the Lokar linkage work with a stock steering column?

If anyone has any advise or pictures/instructions that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!
Mrmadmanmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Sklptrljay

Re: Shift linkage question?

I just did one two days ago, mine is a TH350, but it should be the same. Yes, if your looking straight at the transmission lever, turning it fully clockwise is park. When in park they suggest the new teardrop shaped lever should point at the 8 o'clock position.

If you think of the bracket on the column going counterclockwise (as seen from the front of the truck) it will push down on the linkage bar as you go from park towards R N 4 3 2 1, causing the lever at the transmission to go counterclockwise.

Hope this helps.
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Mrmadmanmill

Re: Shift linkage question?

Yes that help!! I was hoping this was the case but the instructions on the kit made me a little worried.

Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
I just did one two days ago, mine is a TH350, but it should be the same. Yes, if your looking straight at the transmission lever, turning it fully clockwise is park. When in park they suggest the new teardrop shaped lever should point at the 8 o'clock position.

If you think of the bracket on the column going counterclockwise (as seen from the front of the truck) it will push down on the linkage bar as you go from park towards R N 4 3 2 1, causing the lever at the transmission to go counterclockwise.

Hope this helps.
Mrmadmanmill is offline   Reply With Quote