The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
Billla
Account Suspended

Thumbs down VHT High Temperature Brush on Brake Enamel Kit

I just used this stuff for the first time today; I used it on my 1995 Impala SS, but I figured the board would be interested in the results as well.

I thoroughly cleaned my reman calipers with the included brake cleaner and then gave them a quick spray and wipe with PPG DX330 grease and was remover. Then I started on the first coat, and I was NOT impressed with the coverage. I could see the need for 3-4 coats, and so decided to put on coats that were more "wet" - not running, as the paint is pretty thick, but definitely thicker than what I would normally expect. I hung them up to dry for 24 hours.

The next day the coverage looked OK...not great, but OK. There were thin spots where the paint had flowed off the high spots on the castings (parting lines, raised numbers, etc.) but I figured they were "OK" and I would do something different next time. I got everything together and hit everything with a final bit of brake cleaner...and lo, the cleaner REMOVED the caliper paint! I recognize that brake cleaner is nasty stuff, but you'd think something formulated for calipers would be specifically formulated to be resistant. I now need to take the calipers off and clean them - I'll likely just buy another set and take them in to be powder coated.

I have an email in to VHT to see if they have any insight, but my recommendation is to STAY AWAY from this stuff IMHO.

http://72.10.43.141/bob.htm
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote