The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

Aftermarket leaf spring options?

Im looking at softening up the blazer a bit. I was looking into ORD's custom leaf springs and shackle kits to get the ride a bit softer and more flex. They want about 1300 dollars for front and rear leafs. Is there ANYWHERE else that offers something like this at a better price?

Im basically looking for something that will soften up the ride, allow for some more flex and do well in the sand. The stifness in the sand is killing me right now.

Thanks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
tjsblazer

Re: Aftermarket leaf spring options?

Pretty sure the "best" option is going to be the ORD you mentioned ( they get them from Alcan Spring btw which is down the road from them but if you buy through ORD they do all the design and spec. They obviously know their Chevy trucks). The other similar option is Deaver springs out of California. Both places specialize in these low gauge, high number of leaf packs and the Alcan from them or through ORD is obviously closer for your location. This style seems easier to custom tune like a coil. However, both are basically the same $$. Spendy.

I think the next option is the "EZ ride" style of Tuff Country which is much cheaper but not really in the same category. They are just a little softer than normal off the shelf mass produced.

The Alcan and Deaver are one off custom based on your truck and your driving requirements. Besides your driving requirments they want to know how your truck is usually loaded. Winches, cargo, passengers, where is the spare stored, hard top on or off, etc, etc. One item of note because the spring pack is thicker overall it is usually difficult to get them in a stock ride height. I think 2-3" lift is about the minimum but more is obviously no problem.

I bucked up and bought the Alcan through ORD (Stephen). I just got my truck back together and as far as stance, he nailed it. Exactly as I asked for. The fronts are 8 leaf and rears are 10 leaf. Factory I think is 2 or 3 in the front and 5 in the rear. Unfortunately I don't have any driving experience with them yet.
Obviously high quality absorbers are a must no matter what you go with.

You mentioned sand which I know nothing about, however, the member in the build link here used custom ones from Deaver. He likes the dunes. Check out some of his pics from the last page. You could PM him questions if you wanted. I have in the past and gotten good information.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...386852&page=13

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336

Last edited by tjsblazer; 06-29-2016 at 06:26 PM.
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsblazer View Post
Pretty sure the "best" option is going to be the ORD you mentioned ( they get them from Alcan Spring btw which is down the road from them but if you buy through ORD they do all the design and spec. They obviously know their Chevy trucks). The other similar option is Deaver springs out of California. Both places specialize in these low gauge, high number of leaf packs and the Alcan from them or through ORD is obviously closer for your location. This style seems easier to custom tune like a coil. However, both are basically the same $$. Spendy.

I think the next option is the "EZ ride" style of Tuff Country which is much cheaper but not really in the same category. They are just a little softer than normal off the shelf mass produced.

The Alcan and Deaver are one off custom based on your truck and your driving requirements. Besides your driving requirments they want to know how your truck is usually loaded. Winches, cargo, passengers, where is the spare stored, hard top on or off, etc, etc. One item of note because the spring pack is thicker overall it is usually difficult to get them in a stock ride height. I think 2-3" lift is about the minimum but more is obviously no problem.

I bucked up and bought the Alcan through ORD (Stephen). I just got my truck back together and as far as stance, he nailed it. Exactly as I asked for. The fronts are 8 leaf and rears are 10 leaf. Factory I think is 2 or 3 in the front and 5 in the rear. Unfortunately I don't have any driving experience with them yet.
Obviously high quality absorbers are a must no matter what you go with.

You mentioned sand which I know nothing about, however, the member in the build link here used custom ones from Deaver. He likes the dunes. Check out some of his pics from the last page. You could PM him questions if you wanted. I have in the past and gotten good information.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...386852&page=13
Welp, guess im sold then. Gonna start saving. I want it as plush as possible in sand. I will have some resevoir shocks to so that should help.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
notsolo

I am no expert on 4x4, ride etc, How many leafs on your front axle. Mine only had 2 of the flat inverted ( arch bow upward ) ride seamed OK.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote