The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 AM   #1
Green Monster

Help - Jammed Seatbelt Latch

The mechanism within the seatbelt/lap belt latch (ROBBINS-JR-6704)will not release when then button is pressed. The button will return after being pressed. It's the passenger side of a 1972 Blazer. It has been finicky in the past fee years thus requiring some wiggling while pressing the button to get the latch to release. However, this time it seems to have finally jammed up requiring a little more ingenuity to release it.

I'm stuck... can you offer a suggestion on how to release the seat belt latch?

Can the latch be taken apart for repair?

If it cannot be repaired or serviced then I need to find a replacment. I prefer to maintain stock appearance and keep the original style and color belt.
Attached Images

Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:14 AM   #2
Green Monster

Re: Help - Jammed Seatbelt Latch

I accidentally posted this thread in the Blazer build section. Can an administrator please move this to the 69-72 Blazer discussion forum?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Green Monster

Here are a few more photos of the seatbelt, this one with tags marked model 9600 and stamped "21-H-72" . If I replace the belt, I need the part with aged "clear" sleeve that mounts next to the console.

Any leads finding this part in olive green would be apreciated since I'm coming up empty this far.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
grillzy

My divers belt does that occasionally. I don't know how to fix the problem but i know how to get you out of the jam. Your 3rd pic - back side of the buckle. There is a little metal part that is riding up on the body of the buckle-shinny metal tab. Take a flat screwdriver or truck key and push that tab forward off the body tab. Now the buckle will unlatch.
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
1rippen6

Here is a picture of what grizzly is explaining. I'm guessing it needs a good cleaning but if something is broken you can replace the buckle not the whole belt.
Attached Images

1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:58 AM   #6
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillzy View Post
My divers belt does that occasionally. I don't know how to fix the problem but i know how to get you out of the jam. Your 3rd pic - back side of the buckle. There is a little metal part that is riding up on the body of the buckle-shinny metal tab. Take a flat screwdriver or truck key and push that tab forward off the body tab. Now the buckle will unlatch.

Thank you so much Grillzy! Your method with a small screwdriver worked perfectly!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rippen6 View Post
Here is a picture of what grizzly is explaining. I'm guessing it needs a good cleaning but if something is broken you can replace the buckle not the whole belt.
Great photos! Thank you for explaining where and what to press on.

Can you advise a good way to get the seatbelt buckle apart to service the internal parts?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
Green Monster

The plastic cover was easily removed with some prying using a flat head screwdriver around the parameter. Removing the plastic cover gave access to the internal mechanism. The internal parts appear to be in decent condition with no noticable corrosion or surface oxidation. There does seem to be a small accumulation of dust and dirt though from its previous life in California. I'll start with using an electrical motor solvent in a spray can to see if it improves operation.
Attached Images