The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Wayne penn

hydralic clutch problem

my clutch on my 86 k10 quit on me on the way home. Driving down the interstate it all of a sudden acted like it went to neutral. I pulled over and tried shifting between gears. The clutch pedal felt good but No way was the truck going to move. I had it towed home and I checked the fluid reservoir and it was empty. The slave cylinder showed a leak so I replaced it and the clutch master cylinder. I ran 2 small bottles of fluid through it and I worked fine for a few days. Stopped at a signal light it would not move again the clutch felt fine. I pushed it to the side of the road, called triple A and with a 2 hour wait I was mad. after the truck sat for 15 minutes I tried it and it started working again. I got home and it worked for 3 weeks then the same thing all over again. waited 15 minutes and it was fine.

The only thing I can think of is the throw out bearing is hanging up but why? Any one ever had this problem?

Wayne
Wayne penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
akart

Re: hydralic clutch problem

Have 1986 k10 and my clutch would work then not then work again. My problem was air in the system, very hard to bleed out as not much fluid moves and the air keeps going up and down. Solution which worked for me: Get a pump oil can 8 oz. size. Attach it to the slave bleeder with some clear tubing and pump fluid up from the bottom to the reservoir. No peddle needed. Maybe have some one watch for bubbles as you pump, when clear shut valve. You will have to remove some fluid in the reservoir to start with. This has worked for me and others. Good Luck
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Chevy3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
Have 1986 k10 and my clutch would work then not then work again. My problem was air in the system, very hard to bleed out as not much fluid moves and the air keeps going up and down. Solution which worked for me: Get a pump oil can 8 oz. size. Attach it to the slave bleeder with some clear tubing and pump fluid up from the bottom to the reservoir. No peddle needed. Maybe have some one watch for bubbles as you pump, when clear shut valve. You will have to remove some fluid in the reservoir to start with. This has worked for me and others. Good Luck
That sounds like a great idea. I think if a guy bench bled first then did this trick it would be the best of both worlds
Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
nonstop

Just curious - did the pedal feel different, or was it the same pedal the whole time? Did the truck feel like it went into neutral by itself, or was it after pushing in the clutch?
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
Wayne penn

chevy 3 slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder was bench bled before being installed.

Nonstop clutch pedal feels great and will only hang up after being depressed to down shift or up shift.

I am going to pressure bleed it this weekend and see what happens.

Wayne
Wayne penn is offline   Reply With Quote