The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
Frijolito1988

Re: How To Speedo Gear Correction

Soo I really dont get this. I have the tire size, and rear end gears, so once I figure out what my driven gear is , and I put it in this formula , it will tell me what drive gear I have or what drive gear I need ??

http://www.bgsoflex.com/speedo1.html

the other way around If i only want to change the driven gear, do I put the drive gear I have and it will tell me what driven gear I have or need ?
Frijolito1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
Average Joe

Great info here!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #28
Sklptrljay

Nice thread. I am getting ready to do this little project, and I found the TCI calculator simpler and faster to use than the one in the original post.

Here's a link if anyone needs it.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedomete...alculator/#350

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #29
MARKDTN

Great post. The only thing I might add is that the "bullet" that holds the driven gear can wear over time-especially the aluminum ones-and leak. My recommendation is that if it is aluminum replace it. If it is steel give it a good looking at. If the hole that the driven gear goes into is oblonged at all, replace it. Yours is steel and looked newish. This is only for Chevy TH350s with small driven gears. Won't apply to TH400, 200R4 or 700R4 or any TH350 with a BOP tailhousing (with large driven gear).
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #30
rmawyer

Thanks for the information. If I had someone else do the work, would a transmission shop or general mechanic shop be the best choice? Also, roughly how much should it cost to have this done by a professional? My speedo is showing roughly twice what I'm doing (100 MPH when I'm doing 50 MPH). Any suggestions for a good shop near Cambridge MD would be helpful.
rmawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
snipescastle2

Talking Re: How To Speedo Gear Correction

one note for the guy's running 700R4 trans, if you have to change the speedo gears to correct for rear end gear changes, depending on how low or High of a gear set you run, you will need the correct driven gear housing, for driven gears 34 to 39 teeth or for the lower gear sets, 40 to 45 teeth. in GM's infinite wisdom, they stopped making driven speedo gears from 40 and up teeth, so you are left buying an after market gear. I bought the matching housing and gears off Ebay for about $35.00 since I am running 3.73 rear end gears, I needed a Gray, 15 tooth drive gear for the output shaft, and a Black, 40 tooth driven gear for my setup in order to correct my speedo. now, the only thing I wasn't aware of with regards to installing the drive gear on the output shaft of the 700R4, and I'm not sure if the 350 turbo's have this also, but there are two small dimples that the spring clip that holds the drive gear in place on the output shaft, you have to use the forward one of the two holes, if you don't, you'll get what I just encountered.....the gears will not mesh correctly, and they will grind each other's teeth off!!! the whole idea of having the correct housing for the size of the gears for a 700R4 is because they offset the drive hole to accommodate the larger diameter of the gears, but if you don't get the drive gear aligned to the driven gear, you'll be ordering another set of gears just like I did. Hope I save someone a few bucks by not making the same mistake I did.....here's a picture of the gear housing I mentioned...
Ben
Attached Images

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote