The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
beaterku

Moog Pitman Arm - is it supposed to have a rubber boot?

Evening all, I was installing a new Moog pitman arm on my project tonight. Is this supposed to have a rubber boot? The parts bag came with a foam washer as shown in the picture. The arm I removed from the truck did not have a boot or washer between the arm and drag link.

Thanks all!
Attached Images

beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Moog Pitman Arm - is it supposed to have a rubber boot?

I picked up a Parts Master unit recently and it had the same crappy foam thingy in it. It is now blown out.

Never was happy with that thing from the beginning.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
beaterku

I did some digging and it looks like they all come with the foam washer. I wish it had the rubber boot like the idler arm does.

Appreciate your insight!
Old 06-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
CastIron

I saw this late last night and did a little checking myself. My truck isn't at my house, but I have a lot of pictures of everything on it saved on my pc. I replaced my steering parts when I added power steering about 16 or 17 years ago. I'm not 100% sure from the picture, but it looks like mine has a a foam seal on the pitman and a boot on the idler. If it is foam, it's lasted a long time already. I'll check next chance I get.
I looked at the pictures on Rockauto and found the same thing. I also checked pitman and idler arms for my newer blazer and found they also come with foam rings. I guess it they do fail, it's not that hard to pop the joint apart and install another one.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
I saw this late last night and did a little checking myself. My truck isn't at my house, but I have a lot of pictures of everything on it saved on my pc. I replaced my steering parts when I added power steering about 16 or 17 years ago. I'm not 100% sure from the picture, but it looks like mine has a a foam seal on the pitman and a boot on the idler. If it is foam, it's lasted a long time already. I'll check next chance I get.
I looked at the pictures on Rockauto and found the same thing. I also checked pitman and idler arms for my newer blazer and found they also come with foam rings. I guess it they do fail, it's not that hard to pop the joint apart and install another one.
Funny, I did the same thing. If it's tried and true, power on!

Thanks!