The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Please excuse me for this being my 1939 Chevy Wiring

If any of you have done this in an old car (in my case a 1939 chevy converted to 12 volt) from start to finsh ,,I could use some help on doing it right.

I will tell you that I have the 7 wire turn signal control on the steering colume all ready to wire up

I will run a 12 ga wire (from the battery )to a fuse 14 amp then on to the flasher's X prong and from there to the turn signal with 16 ga

I will run a 12 ga wire from battery to the brake light switch then from there to the turn signal with 16 ga wire

I will use 16 ga for tail light led's and also for the headlight that have led's at the bottom of the seal beam

I already have the headlights..brake lights wired

I have double filiment bulb hook up (1157)for the brake lights and tail lights ( the new Led's have a twist in thing just like the end of a tail light bulb do .

My plan is to use a EP-28 flasher /with a clamp on mounting bracket Under the dash or on the inner fender wall of the car ,,,any thoughts on this?

I have been told that I need not run an extra wire to the tail lights to use for brake lights ,,,, when you use the brake lights by pushing the brake peddle down,, this brake switch wire to the turn signal activates a higher voltage that therfore makes the tail lights brighter,, any thoughts on this being a true statement?

I will stop here and await for any and all advice and questions

thx for reading
Old 06-14-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Please excuse me for this being my 1939 Chevy Wiring

.................................................................................................... ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
If any of you have done this in an old car (in my case a 1939 chevy converted to 12 volt) from start to finsh ,,I could use some help on doing it right.

I will tell you that I have the 7 wire turn signal control on the steering colume all ready to wire up. Papa is this one of the bolt on aftermarket types or is it stock?

I will run a 12 ga wire (from the battery )to a fuse 14 amp then on to the flasher's X prong and from there to the turn signal with 16 ga

Here's a diagram of the wiring for the turn signals on the bolt on switch.

Name:  FigA.gif
Views: 1320
Size:  14.2 KB

Notice the power wire for the switch is fused off the ampmeter. Are you using the old style all the juice goes through the ampmeter type wiring?

I will run a 12 ga wire from battery to the brake light switch then from there to the turn signal with 16 ga wire

I will use 16 ga for tail light led's and also for the headlight that have led's at the bottom of the seal beam

Your tail light wires will come off the headlight switch and are separate from the turn signal switch wires, same with the front park lights. the factory used brown for the rears and purple for the fronts.

I already have the headlights..brake lights wired.

Did you wire the brake lights from the turn signal switch. I assume you did.

I have double filiment bulb hook up (1157)for the brake lights and tail lights ( the new Led's have a twist in thing just like the end of a tail light bulb do .

My plan is to use a EP-28 flasher /with a clamp on mounting bracket Under the dash or on the inner fender wall of the car ,,,any thoughts on this?

It's a pretty common flasher for the LEDs. I think it has to be grounded.

I have been told that I need not run an extra wire to the tail lights to use for brake lights ,,,, when you use the brake lights by pushing the brake peddle down,, this brake switch wire to the turn signal activates a higher voltage that therefore makes the tail lights brighter,, any thoughts on this being a true statement?

I don't see how it can work with LEDs but with the regular bulbs the filament size determines which one is brighter. I'll have to do some research on that one.
Some LEDs with several bulbs in them have them wired so that only a few of them light when the tails are on and all of them light for the brakes. It doesn't sound like yours are like that.

I will stop here and await for any and all advice and questions

thx for reading

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Robznob11

Re: Please excuse me for this being my 1939 Chevy Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
.................................................................................................... ....
Looking at this diagram I agree with you. The park lights will run off of the headlight switch. This appears to be for brakes and turns only. The turn signal and brake function off of the same wire. Typically on a regular dual filament bulb you have a dim filament that is running off of the park wire (from headlight switch) and the when you hit the brakes or turn the power goes from the signal switch to light the other filament. The internals of the signal switch take care of canceling the brake light signal when the turn for a given side is activated...so it will blink and not just stay bright.

As far as leds go...if you have a dual filament Led like an 1157 led...what they do is make a split connection...one side is full power and one side is lower power it is done inside the bulb with resistors and diodes. One thing to note ...not all 1157 bulbs are created equal. Some may work fine and some may not..I have no clue why they would reverse the polarity on some, or try to get away without running the diodes...but some overseas manufacturers do crazy stuff. Since you are wiring from scratch if you get a bright led with park and a no blink with turn or no change in brightness for the brakes it may be as simple as reversing the wires. The led flashers are polarity sensitive too. The X is the power in source.
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote