The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
jfnar

Thump in front end, advice needed.

I recently went through the process of upgrading to disc brakes on a 68 swb. I did all the tie rod ends and ball joints as well as changing from an aftermarket sway bar with worn out end links to a 72 sway bar with all new brackets and bushings. I also replaced the lower control arm on the driver's side. After all this I now hear a thump sometimes when I turn. It doesn't seem to matter which way I turn. It doesn't do it every time but enough to bother me. I removed the sway bar and the noise is still there so I've eliminated that part as a possible culprit. I'm wondering if it's possible to reinstall the coil spring improperly. I just put it back in the recess where it came from but I don't know if there's a particular position it needs to be in. I hope to have time to go through it this weekend to look for anything that might be loose. Any suggestions of possible causes for a noise in the front end will be appreciated. This was the first time I've taken all this apart so if there's a rookie mistake to be made I probably found it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Thump in front end, advice needed.

Hey Jeff just how far did you tear down the front end? The end of the bottom coil fits in the groove of the lower control arm. The top of the coil fits around a sort of circular lip to keep the coil centered in place. Make sure the center steering link is on right. It can be reversed and cause twitchy steering. Make sure the steering sector bolts are tight to the frame. And pitman arm for that matter.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
jfnar

Thanks Boog. I did the normal disc brake upgrade with new ball joints and tie rod ends. The only other disassembly I did was to remove the lower control arm which was damaged and replace with a junk yard part. I didn't pay any attention at all to how the spring fit in the pockets so it might be misaligned. I'll check it out. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

When i did my 2 front ends putting the spring in is the hardest.But you know you got it right is when you hear the spring seed it self while your driving the truck a loud bang It scared the shiiit out of me.My father said that's when you know your spring is in right.I like to add I hope you used MOOG parts to put your truck back together.Did you replace the A arm bars and new bushing that screw on.I had to order a 45 mm or a 55 mm deep socket or a 2.5/8 socket you will only use it 4 times But its the best 4 times you ever in your life
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Man if you want a solid front end you need to change the upper and lower screw in bushings.order them off eBay get MOOG and you will have a tight front end and you will love driving your truck don't half as-s it
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re-check the torque on the U-Bolts attaching the lower A-Arms to the frame. They are hard to get to on your back, at least they were for me. Took a couple of passes over a couple of days to make sure they were settled in. If a spring isn't in the seat properly, it will only make one pop, when it seats. You have something else going on. You might also verify you have the upper control arm to frame fasteners tight enough.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
jfnar

The spring was definitely out of position. I rotated it 180 to get the bottom into the depression. The top doesn't want to stay in the center with the spring loose. I guess that's the part that pops into place after assembly. If I have time this afternoon I'll get it back together and see if the popping is still there. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

You're on the right track then.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
jfnar

SUCCESS!! With the help of a chain and boomer, crowbar, a 2X4 and a big hammer, and a few golf words under my breath; I was able to get the top of the spring centered up. It popped once while I was jacking up the lower A arm and again when I let the truck down with the wheel on but no unusual noises on the test drive. Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #10
Boog
laying low

Well that's good to hear. Check that off the list. I'm a firm believer in the generous application of a BFH where needed.