The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
trevarthan

Re: Intermittent power loss (need help troubleshooting please)

Granted, I haven't set the idle yet, but a quick check with the timing light and the vacuum advance disabled indicates 14 degrees before TDC.

The plate under the hood says 4 degrees BTDC, but I see a lot of people on the forum here saying 12 to 14 is fine.
trevarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevarthan View Post
I've tested the vacuum advance on the distributor with a rented hand held vacuum pump. Seems to be working (saw the lever move), but I don't know if it's within spec or not because I don't know the specs or where to find them.
Sounds like the diaphragm is good then. You can find the specs if you know what your distributor came out of. Likely a smogger with too much vac advance though. What are your plugs gapped at? If you don't already know, HEI gap is .045

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevarthan View Post
Granted, I haven't set the idle yet, but a quick check with the timing light and the vacuum advance disabled indicates 14 degrees before TDC.

The plate under the hood says 4 degrees BTDC, but I see a lot of people on the forum here saying 12 to 14 is fine.
Your timing is good to go. That 4 degrees is a factory safe number to keep warranty and recall issues to a minimum. Gotta protect that pocketbook. 12-14 degrees is a performance number which optimizes engine efficiency. Regardless, total timing is more important to set.

Still sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning and rebuild.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 01-20-2019 at 12:04 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
trevarthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
What are your plugs gapped at? If you don't already know, HEI gap is .045
I replaced them yesterday with platinum plugs gapped at 0.035, I think. Will this cause problems with the HEI or is it fine? Can't regap platinum without chipping it, I've been told, but I can always toss them and buy regular plugs if those won't work.
trevarthan is offline   Reply With Quote