The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Fan2zee

Yellow Wire/Fuse: Install Radio

I have this little separate wire harness with a "yellow single wire" that came with my install kit. If anyone has a pic of where it plugs into that would be great.

Kit Scosche GM01B

1987 Chevy R10/C10 Silverado
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Yellow Wire/Fuse: Install Radio

Unless your truck came from the factory with the optional digitally tuned radio, it probably won't have the mating connector for that wire to plug into.

Here is a photo of the stock radio connectors that you should see in your truck:

The top 3 connectors were used with all radios (although the blue one might not be present if the truck didn't originally have rear speakers). They obviously all plug into the large black socket of your install kit.

The connector down at the bottom of my photo was used with the factory digitally tuned radios. It has a brown wire for a "lights on" display dimming signal and an orange wire that supplies constant battery power for the clock & station presets. The yellow wire in your install kit would plug into this orange wire (if present). Otherwise, you can simply run the yellow (constant power) wire from your new radio over to the fuse box and connect it to a source that is live all the time.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Fan2zee

Re: Yellow Wire/Fuse: Install Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Unless your truck came from the factory with the optional digitally tuned radio, it probably won't have the mating connector for that wire to plug into.

Here is a photo of the stock radio connectors that you should see in your truck:

The top 3 connectors were used with all radios (although the blue one might not be present if the truck didn't originally have rear speakers). They obviously all plug into the large black socket of your install kit.

The connector down at the bottom of my photo was used with the factory digitally tuned radios. It has a brown wire for a "lights on" display dimming signal and an orange wire that supplies constant battery power for the clock & station presets. The yellow wire in your install kit would plug into this orange wire (if present). Otherwise, you can simply run the yellow (constant power) wire from your new radio over to the fuse box and connect it to a source that is live all the time.
Thanks, I do have the Blue, White, and Black plugs... The bottom one I don't recall seeing nor do I recall seeing any other mating plugs that the harness I'm inquiring on. The aftermarket radio I already had installed and my new one I installed works... I just wanted to try to keep the connectors OEM as possible... so I agree I don't think I have the optional digitally tuned radio.

Good info... Thanks for following up...!