The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
AlbertaClassic

Re: Trucks just sitting/rusting away

I don't mind if it's on people's private property, but I have a story that pisses myself off big time. My uncle is kind of a hoarder, and my aunt HATES that he is. So he has a bunch of stuff lying all over his acreage, which is whatever. About 10-12 years ago someone from town asks to store a truck out at their place. My uncle quickly agreed, and my aunt reluctantly agreed as the owner said it would only be a few months till his new shop was built. Fast forward a decade after many inquiries about the truck at first, there it sits. This is where I come in. I've been ogling the truck since I was a young teenager. It's nothing fancy, just a regular '70 c10 long box, 2wd with a little 250. The box is very beat up, but the cab and forward is really nice and clean with no rust. I've been wanting to buy it for a year now, and only recently have I gotten his number. My aunt really wants it off her property, as she is trying to clean up and curb my uncles hoarding habits. I call up the guy, and he is almost shocked that I asked if he wants to sell it. He gave me the ol' answer "I was just clearing a place in my yard for it". I mentioned my aunt really wants it gone (truth and bargaining chip), but he insisted it would be gone within a couple weeks. A month later there it sits. That truck will never move. 🤔
Posted via Mobile Device
AlbertaClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
46stude

I tend to not worry about what someone is doing with their personal property. I've seen a few sad examples, but there are so many of the '67-'72s out there that it's no big deal. Heck, I think they were already rotting away at the dealerships when they were new!
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
Highlander72

Yeah it bugs me too, but I guess I sorta became "that guy"....bought a '69 GTO basketcase in 2005, it sat in front of my old house until 2015, had no inside storage to work on it....at least I gathered parts while it sat. Finally this year I have a new place and a shop building, and it's coming apart at last! Plus, my Highlander gets to stay inside, too
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
raggedjim

I have a couple '72 Plymouth Dusters and a '73 Pontiac Firebird people ask about ALL the time. I'm sure they think they will never hit the road... maybe they're right!

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
DjS71

I tried to get my truck out of my Uncle's hands with genuine US currency when it was sitting in the driveway @ Grandma's, eventually leaving a nice orange stain on the concrete. 6 years later he coughed it up for free, but man, 6 less years out in the open, 6 more pre-kid years of time and money further along sure would have been nice.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I had to sell off my hoard due to financial strife. But I had what I knew I would always want because I have always wanted them and they have always been a part of my life. The trucks were sitting because I was going to fix them up one day. That's right, some day and I hope to have a whole lot of "some days" the rest of my life, which is how long I plan on playing with my trucks. Gotta have 'em to build 'em.

I see some dude with a hot looking woman I'd like to be with. I don't see him giving her any affection. So, since he's not doing what I'd like to be doing should I go up and see if I can take care of that? (I've tried. Didn't turn out so good)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

I see some dude with a hot looking woman I'd like to be with. I don't see him giving her any affection. So, since he's not doing what I'd like to be doing should I go up and see if I can take care of that? (I've tried. Didn't turn out so good)
Your killing me Tim!

My truck is looking a little unloved right now but I just bought $1500 worth of parts for it. You never know. Sometimes it just takes some time.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
A1971Blazer

A whole bunch of neglected vehicles here.......
http://www.carsinbarns.com
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Coley

Smile Re: Trucks just sitting/rusting away

I've never worried too much about seeing neglected older vehicles.
You can't save 'em all....some have to go to I guess.
What is probably a worse situation or at least more interesting are the (parts/vehicle) 'hoarders'...lol.
These guys I get a kick out of. They stockpile and stockpile and stockpile and hoard parts and/or parts vehicle for some distant future project that will never in all likelihood come about...a bit of a dreamworld approach...lol.
I always measure these guys 'here and now- today' situation to get a bearing on his probability of success.
If he has already successfully completed one or two full apparent projects you can tell he might be a good bet and he using the parts to their full purpose. On the other hand...if it looks like an episode of Sanford and Son....unlikely..

At the end of the day tho'....to each his own
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
aod92

I know it's not anybody's concern what people do with their own property but why let this old sheet metal just rot away? I don't understand people that know they'll never get to it but they'll let it sit and rot away just because it makes them feel good sitting in their yard.
aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
46stude

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod92 View Post
just because it makes them feel good
That's the only reason that matters.
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod92 View Post
I know it's not anybody's concern what people do with their own property but why let this old sheet metal just rot away? I don't understand people that know they'll never get to it but they'll let it sit and rot away just because it makes them feel good sitting in their yard.
because it makes them feel good sitting in their yard

they don't owe me, you or anyone else an explanation
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

It bugs me to see entire neighborhoods of nice homes with no vehicles in the side yard or out back. I feel so sorry for these deprived unfortunate people. What can we do for them?

And I don't get guys who are all like, "OMG, I have a spare part. I need to list that on the parts board right now!"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

A friend of mine and I know where a 67 C30 wrecker truck is. The owner has done nothing with it all these years and we are trying to buy it. He said he will sell it but is looking for the title and we have trouble getting him on the phone. Stay tuned...
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #15
Tim Christian

I have never understood that guy that has like 5 trucks all need restoring. Why he don't pick one he likes best sell the rest and restore the one to at least have one nice restored truck to drive and enjoy.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
cleanfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
I have never understood that guy that has like 5 trucks all need restoring. Why he don't pick one he likes best sell the rest and restore the one to at least have one nice restored truck to drive and enjoy.
I was that guy. Had 9 of our trucks in the yard last fall , picked all the best stuff for a 67 short fleet (calling it the "last" truck , wish me luck) and sold off all the rest , complete or projects. Still have my tired 68 to drive , and a project , should be enough to keep me busy for years between building , maintaining , & racin'.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
old Chevy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
My neighbor has seven kids at his house and I drive by and look at them playing in old clothes and think..... Why doesn't he just pick his favorite and put the rest up for adoption and then that one could have nice clothes? Well.......it's not quite like that but you know what I mean. Sometimes these things just get to be like your kids.... You just love em all....hard to imagine them going off to find a better home. On the other side of the coin sometimes it takes five or six parts trucks to get enough good stuff to build one good one, at least it's that way on the east coast, five or six may not even get you one good one at the end.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #18
dirtyjim

my trucks usually sit while i'm collecting parts and I like to do stuff in stages once I've collected the parts so it might appear that my truck has set in the same spot for a year or more. my truck is registered, insured and makes the occasional trip around the block but is parked right back in the same spot so it may appear that its just siting. I have a ton of parts, probably around 6K new in the box and a couple grand in used parts. now if someone wants to stop and make an offer it would have to be for everything not just the truck, and I tell them the truck is only for sale if the offer is enough to buy me a nicer one.
the problem I have with people stopping and making offers is that their idea of an offer is usually an insult. I know the market and I know at least 70% of the trucks that are for sale in the area.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
Dave K.

I have numerous vehicles at my house and enjoy them all whether they run and drive or not. My passion is collecting cars and parts--I personally don't care what folks think or understand about me. Most guys I know (especially married ones) stop by to just soak it in and dream, have a beer and look at the iron. If you can't understand this aspect of things then you're what I would term a hobbyist, not a passionate collector and nope, you likely wouldn't understand.....
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I have ne that has been sitting for a year now. I have done a lot to it since it's been there, but it hasn't moved. I start it and let t run every now and then. Kept the battery up all winter. Just came in from washing it up for the fourth time since I parked it. That included scrub brush in all seems, weatherstrip, emblems, and such to keep the "organics" from eating away at things. Every time it rains I take a piece of wood and wipe away debris that clogs the drain holes in the front of the bed to let the water out. I also hosed out the bed a few times to keep it decent. I wish it was inside but that's not possible. I don't think anybody driving by would know what work I've done to it or that I am doing what I can to preserve it best I can under the circumstances. They also have no way of knowing why it has sat for a year or what circumstances have prevented me getting it going again. I hope they aren't too disappointed when they see me start driving it again.

Tim