The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
Ekliptix

A few jobs in progress (2wd)- new carpet and seals

My carpet is faded so I ordered some new black carpet and some sound deadener. My 2000+ mi drive when I bought the truck was a bit noisy (Flowmaster 40's), so we'll see how this insulation works.

In about 4 hours my father in law and I got the seats and console removed, the carpet removed, the insulation cut and positions. Making the holes in the insulation to match the bolt holes took a little while, and that's as far as we got. I'll next be cutting the bolt holes in the carpet before putting the seats back in and trying to wiggle the bolts through the seat mounts, the carpet, the insulation and finally the floor holes. .

I didn't realize how faded the current carpet was until I took it out. Wow.

Seats and Consol out. Dang, it's quite a reach to get the nut underneath for the seat belt.

Before

A bit dusty

Wiped down, no rust

Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
Ekliptix

Re: A few jobs in progress (2wd)- new carpet and seals

And the window seals. The old ones were a bit stiff and let some water in when driving.

Old ones removed.

Mess left behind

I had some of this. Combined with a SOS pad, it worked ok but I couldn't get it all off.

after, not perfect, but it took a ton of scrubbing to get it to this.

I found these things on Amazon for the clips to help retain the seal to the roof.

Clipped them to mimic the original ones. I saw someone else do this, on here.

Got the good stuff

That's it. After the install, I had a tough time closing the doors, the new seals were so puffy. I finally ended up doing it and left them for a week to try and make an imprint of the door + window. Now it's easier to close the door. .

I have 2 more seals to install for the rear. One around the topper window, and another for the tailgate, although I have to research how the tailgate seal is supposed to install, exactly where it's supposed to go.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
lks dcvn

Well done - all of this is on my list in the future. Which insulation and carpet did you go with?

Have a link for those push in clips by chance?
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
Well done - all of this is on my list in the future. Which insulation and carpet did you go with?

Have a link for those push in clips by chance?
I ended up ordering the carpet from http://www.billstruckshop.com since they're in Canada. It was $600 Canadian, $450US for the carpet. The insulation is also from them. 3 4x6' rolls for $120 Canadian / $85 US total.

Regarding the carpet, it's nothing special in terms of quality. If I were to do it again, especially if I lived in the US, I'd get carpet from RockAuto.com. For our blazers they have a lot of carpet options, including some really premium stuff that includes insulation built in. And the prices are great. I'd check that out.

Clips (you can find them on US Amazon, too): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Ekliptix

One other thing, to help hold the carpet over the wheel wells in place, I ordered some small but really strong Neodymium magnets from Amazon. I plan to paint them black to blend in, then use them to help keep the wheel well carpet in place.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 06-09-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
Tuff Gong

Do you have a link to the magnets. Does it hold the ca
Pet in place without the adhesive
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Ekliptix

I have not tested it but I have some if these magnets from before, and they are so strong I can barely remove them from a metal surface with my fingers. I fully expect they'll be perfect for keeping the carpet in place.

Here's one link, but you can search Amazon for "Neodymium magnets" and pick whatever you like. I personally like these rectangular ones.

https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Neodym...ateway&sr=8-17
Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
GMCPaul

For future reference we sell the original GM clips used to install the top to door glass seal ( roof rail seal )

So there's no need to buy generic clips then modify them to work. They can be found on our Blazer weatherstrip page
https://gmcpauls.com/blazer1.htm
Part # 19839137
69-72 Blazer / Jimmy Door Glass Seal Retaining Clip For Double Wall Top
1969-72 Blazer/Jimmy Door Glass Seal To Top Seal Retaining Clip. ( Roof Rail Seal Clip ) Original GM clips used to install double wall top roof rail seals to top. For all models with double wall shell top. Sold each, specify quantity after adding to cart.
Manufacturers Suggested Retail $1.42 each
Fits: All 1969-72 Chevy Blazer, 1969-72 GMC Jimmy With Double Wall Top Shell Sold Each for .75
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
69-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
For future reference we sell the original GM clips used to install the top to door glass seal ( roof rail seal )

So there's no need to buy generic clips then modify them to work. They can be found on our Blazer weatherstrip page
https://gmcpauls.com/blazer1.htm
Part # 19839137
69-72 Blazer / Jimmy Door Glass Seal Retaining Clip For Double Wall Top
1969-72 Blazer/Jimmy Door Glass Seal To Top Seal Retaining Clip. ( Roof Rail Seal Clip ) Original GM clips used to install double wall top roof rail seals to top. For all models with double wall shell top. Sold each, specify quantity after adding to cart.
Manufacturers Suggested Retail $1.42 each
Fits: All 1969-72 Chevy Blazer, 1969-72 GMC Jimmy With Double Wall Top Shell Sold Each for .75
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
OP Is in Canada so he couldn't buy the clips from you if he wanted to.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote