The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
69_shortbox

Air bag setup

Hey all,
I’m looking to do a manual air bag setup just to get me through the summer, I was going to do a drop coil setup but I won’t be able to get the drop of like and be safe (I’m thinking 4/6) so my new plan is to install bags on all 4 corners and manually fill them before I leave, then drop the truck at the show and refill before heading home. I was planning on using a portable type compressor (like something that would plug into a cigarette lighter). Has anyone done a setup like this? How did it work? Any input?
Thanks,
Tyler
Posted via Mobile Device
69_shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Air bag setup

It sounds like you’re trying to go an inexpensive route with the “manual filling” which I assume means schrader (tire type) valves instead of paddle switches or solenoid valves. There’s no reason you can’t do this but you should use 4 separate schrader valves, one going to each air bag. If you put both front (or rear) air bags with a tee fitting to a single valve, when cornering the outside air bag will compress and push air to the inside air bag inflating it, which increases body roll and hurts ride and handling. But if you use 4 schrader valves it’s the same as having 4 switches in the cab you’re just filling and releasing by schrader valve. My advice if you go this route, run all 4 lines to common spot for ease of filling and release. Also leave some extra on each line, coil it under truck or something, that way if you decide to add paddles or a valve block you don’t have to completely rerun all the lines.

I will poop on your idea of using one of those cigarette lighter compressors though, with valid reasons. They are slow, they are not meant for continuous operation and may not reach the required pressure. My truck needs 60psi in the front bags, most of those compressors barely get to 35psi when new, forget it if you’ve used it a few times. Step up to a Viar 380c or similar and you won’t have to worry about it.

I’d also suggest doing some shopping on the “suspension marketplace” in the suspension section of this forum. There’s some nice package deals with bags, mounts, valves, compressors etc that may be in your budget. Here’s one I had saved
https://www.bcfab.com/1963-1972-C10_c_467.html

Last edited by Overdriven; 06-19-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Overdriven

Now to talk about height with air bags. What is your goal as far as ride height and aired out height? I bought my truck with an air ride kit installed but otherwise stock suspension which puts ride height pretty close to stock from what I can tell by pictures of stockers online. Aired out and resting on the stock bump stops equates to about a 4/6 drop. If you want to go lower you need drop spindles, c-notch (or bigger), adjustable Panhard bar, shock relocators at the least.

Last edited by Overdriven; 06-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
cornerstone

Nice answer Overdriven. 👍🏼

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

X's3 with Overdriven! Although I may not actually poop on your idea I know it isn't at all practical. It would take you at least 60 minutes to get all your bags pumped up using that kind of compressor (15 minutes per bag) It is likely you would melt the compressor before you were finished.
Here is my Burban on bags sitting on the bumpstops and on the bags with the bump stops cut off. (They were removed when I bought the truck and I have since reinstalled them). And the final photo is a comfortable ride height for long distance highway driving. I can go a little lower around town and still be safe and comfortable (About 1").
I hope this helps if you want to go lower it will take the modifications previously mentioned.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote