The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #51
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: The date is set LonghornMan is coming to the NW

how far is that from here?????????????????????????I maybe able to make it....sept 29th cg can you pm me your add for map qwest?

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #52
greenhorn

road trips make great memories. i follow this board daily which makes it easy to relate to alot of your names. i'm proud to be a member.
andy whatever happens roll with it. i really want to purchase a west coast truck for the trip.
this is what livin is all about.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #53
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

greenhorn.. .welcome to the board man. You are right, if there's something you've always wanted to do, then get out there and do it.
Mike... great talkin to you on the phone man!
As far as what i plan on inspecting/draining...
I wanna check the diff level and top off in needed. I'll be filling it with free synthetic when i get home, so no need to drain it yet.
I plan on a tranny service, however, i don't want to pull the pan untill I have a filter kit in hand. If there's a drain plug on it, go ahead and pull it. If not, I'm waiting till parts are in hand. (anyone... off the top of your head, TH400... how many quarts will i need?)
Engine oil and filter, (debating with filling it with mobile one) Plugs/wires/complete new dist, all which i have sitting here now
fuel filter, I have a 3/8 metal one sitting here.
Inspecting/replacing rubber fuel lines, I know there's some that need imidiate attention
Need to get some 3/8 OIL hose for the tranny cooler it has that is leaking
Wanna inspect all four brakes REAL good. Packing bearings and grease front end while it's in the air.
99% sure I'll be installing other rims/tires that Al is bringing in. (the tread/condition looks better in the pics, I'll know more once they are all in front of me)
Install my CD player. (It'll probably just be sitting on top of the dash, or on the seat with wires goin to the speaker wires under the dash and wired to the fuse block
Cig lighter MUST work (phone)
Heater... gotta have it. I'll buy a blower motor off of someone else's truck if I have to... GOTTA have some heat avalible. (I think it actually works) Also inspect/replace heater hoses.
The rad is new... I'm assuming the coolant is too, I'll wanna verify this
inspect/replace air filter, possibly hose out the cab with some cleaner, probably dump some tranny fluid down the carb at high eng speed and blow some carbon out the tail pipe too.
All lights will be getting double checked/repaired, and also, if the parts truck has tail lights and lenses, and everything up to the firewall, I'll be hooking them up to the trailer haness plug on the tow vehicle. (I have some special harnesses I've made up )
A double check on the wipers oporation and blade condition.
As anal as I am about this, I'll probably want to clean the front seat and glass. I may end up sleepin in there, and want the mold/fuink level to a minimum... that that's something i can do at a truck stop right before layin down too.
The patrs truck will need the best 2 tires mounted on the rear, pushed (any better ideas?) onto a dolly, and windows up, junk strapped down, or secured or what ever.

most of this is stuff that Billla recomended. I'll be looking over it myself, and anyone/everyone is welcome to look it over and bring up things to consider for repair. I am obviously mostly worried about a 2500 mile trip, not looking for prerfection, just good enough for the trip.

bouncytruck... I dunno if you are local or not... but if you are, try to sneak off or something. We'll cover for ya!

IAFF2407, I guess you will be the first one i see huh? Can't wait. lets just make my coffee a Mtn Dew.. and we'll be ok!

If anyone PM'd me contact info/road condition info or whatever, and it went unresponded, please let me know. I think i *might* have deleted a PM or two.

Anyone else wanna offerr a phone number?

Also... another good point brought up by a member... if you are unable to assist at certien times of the day, have a baby sleeping and can't have the phone ringing at 2 am ... what ever, please let me know, I will put that info by your number. If I break down and you are willing to help, but can't do anything right away, it'snot a problem. I'll do what i can, and/or take a nap. Just let me know so i don't tick off the wife or the boss man, or what ever your case may be.

Mike (stllookin) mentioned putting together a roadside kit of sorts. That's an awsome idea. There's all kinds of crap I'd love to take with me for the 'just in case' factor (like the fuel pump he mentioned) but I'd weigh down the plane by the time i had everything I wanted. If anyone has some stuff like that, you wanna get rid of, or sell cheap, bring it on over. Worst thing that can happen is you take it back home with you!
A few ppl have mentioned spare tires... As far as the tow rig, I'm gonna have PLENTY of tires. I think there's gonna be 10 of them? (!!) I would probably consider giving anyone a tire or two (8 lug stuff) if they need it. If i have room, I can always use them, but space MAY start to get cramped. Now, on the parts truck... that is one I can't speak for. All it needs is 2, and it has 4 bolted onto it, but I don't know the condition of them (CG... do you remember off the top of your head?) if anyone has a spare 5 lug rim/tire I may need it as a spare, or even as a primary tire, we'll have to inspect it. Also, CG, do either of these trucks have a working jack?
Tool wise, I'm sure someone has a timing light? I think billla has us covered on that, he probably has a highspeed LED cordless dial back unit... or an old sunpro one would work too. Possibly some drum brake tools and a caliper piston compressor... otherwise, I'm certien normal hand tools will be all we need. I'll have some, and again, I'm sure it won't even be an issue, there'll be 5 or 6 ppl with tools in there truck.

Sorry for the long post. lets keep it rolling.

And again, thank you everyone.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #54
Longhorn Man

OMG!!!! That's a friggen NOVEL!

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-17-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #55
byrd
Union Electrician

Too bad I am too far to do you any good, if needed, but I wish you a safe and uneventful trip(at least automotive wise anyway) I sure it will be the adventure of a lifetime
Be safe, Signed grumpy old man

BTW yes that was a novel
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 09-17-2007 at 09:36 PM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #56
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Be safe, Signed grumpy old man
!!!!!
man, i have NO IDEA why I thought you were a grumpy old man. I actually feel bad about it too... if it makes you feel any better.
it was awsome to meet you randy. I've rebuilt probably 5 or 6 panels, and even i learned quite a bit on your demonstration.
If I end up like TOTALLY lost... I'll swing by!

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-17-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #57
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
!!!!!
man, i have NO IDEA why I thought you were a grumpy old man. I actually feel bad about it too... if it makes you feel any better.
it was awsome to meet you randy. I've rebuilt probably 5 or 6 panels, and even i learned quite a bit on your demonstration.
If I end up like TOTALLY lost... I'll swing by!
NO sweat ya know I had to bust your chops on that one No reason to feel bad it is really hard to let your personality shine thru words
It was a real pleasure to meet you, and all the other guys there as well!!
Have fun and again BE SAFE!!
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #58
b.sharp

O.K. now we know he is not an old man but maybe the grumpy part still can remain. HA HA. I enjoyed the meet and the demo. I caught a lot of greif for being gone so long but it was worth it to meet some new people. And I solved my transfer case problem to boot.

Latr,

B.Sharp
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #59
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Heater works, insides don't smell too bad. You realize it does have an 8 track player dont you? All the lights work. Wipers work, just not sure on condition. No idea on the treads of the parts burb. I know they all hold air. Basically that thing is just a shell, no interior. Good for tossing stuff into but I would try to limit your load. No idea on the cig lighter. Ill have to check on the jack.

You can UPS the extras you want to bring to my office if you want.

I really need a head count of who is for sure going to be there. Ill be providing some food and some soda. IAFF2407 is going to print up some t shirts...one size fits all, so no requests...they are free. He really is going above and beyond. Especially since he is making the trip from Canada, and picking up Andy at the Bellingham airport.

Please let me know if you're coming for sure. Let me know if you wanna bring anything extra food wise. I have the bbq covered now. We've already had a bunch of the excuse parade check in... ...just giving you guys crap. Who has stuff to do in September? There are no restroom facilities so I guess I better see about renting a sani can...or something.

Here is the address of my In Laws place. The barnyard just past their house (white house, green trim, red roof...dont ask) is where this is happening.

23706 Ben Howard Rd, Monroe WA. 98272
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #60
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I"M SICK...got the dreaded email last night from Guam..."Pilot hole done...need your assistance ASAP! I can't believe that I am going to miss this show! I'll be leaving this Sunday, at the latest, for 2-4 weeks! This REALLY stinks!

Andy...just think of it as 10-250 mile trips or 100-25 mile trips...PIECE OF CAKE!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #61
Longhorn Man

Mike, like I said, your work is more important. it's all good man.

Quote:
Please let me know if you're coming for sure.
I'll be there!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #62
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I'm going to try and make it over that way. Not that far to drive and I'll be on leave before heading out to Japan. Will be nice to see some old and new faces! Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #63
lyrikz
PITbut

i will be there.
29th correct?
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #64
bcanini
"Taste It"

4 hr drive for me boys, I'd like to come but I think I'll to regrettably have to pass. Have a great time. we gotta do one somewhere in the middle.

B

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #65
Longhorn Man

lyrikz, I'll be there on the 29, yes.
He CG, can you PM me that work addy? I'm gonna get that package together in the next day or so. The HEI just came in the mail today.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #66
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Not enough activity here...when the big date is only one week away!!!! I leave for Guam in the morning and will gone 2-4 weeks. I will have lots of computer time while there, however, and want to follow the progress and see lots of pics. It will be the only fun I have while I am stranded on that God-forsaken island...missing all the fun!

Who is in charge of the pics at the send-off work party? Captain Knievel did a pretty good job at the XXX! Any other volunteers? Road pics are going to be up to Longhorn Man or whoever he meets up with. If they could post it would be really cool!

Remember our service men and overpaid consultants that are stranded in foreign lands and cannot participate in this fun venture.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #67
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Hard to Believe the Journey of a Lifetime is only one Week From Now, I know Lot's of us Have Dream's of Doing Something Similar to This. My Hat is Off to Andy for Having the Courage to Do Something most of us will only Dream About................

Andy, Have you figured out the Game Plan as Far as How to keep us all Updated on your Journey as u travel From State to State??

Just want to Say Thanks for Giving me the Pleasure of Being a Small Part of the dream.................

Rick
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #68
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Honestly Im a little bit disappointed. I only have three people besides myself that have confirmed with me they are going to be there. A couple gonna tries and several I cant make its. Maybe I need to start another thread...I dunno.

Ill take pics and post them of the work party.

Last edited by CG; 09-21-2007 at 05:46 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #69
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Honestly Im a little bit disappointed. I only have three people besides myself that have confirmed with me they are going to be there. A couple gonna tries and several I cant make its. Maybe I need to start another thread...I dunno.

Frankly I'm a Little shocked by Those Number's for the Turn out, I for One will be there in Spirit...........

Thanks CG for all that you have Done to Help Andy With the Purchase, Andy Put's Forth a Lot of Help & Advise for the Board .

Thanks, Rick
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #70
Longhorn Man

There's a few ppl I have to choose from to call and give updates, plus, anyone who sees me will probably post something or another.
Just remember, no news is good news.
3 ppl huh? That's still cool. I know Mike was really looking forward to it, but work comes first... always. Well, almost always.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #71
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post

I've taken the day off so I will definitely be there! I'll bring my camera... CG, would you PM me the addy (again )? ET

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #72
Blue_71
Bloo

well, if you get really really REALLY off track, i could help

good luck andy!!

if i could offer one word of advise- no matter what doesnt leak, i say have extra fluids!! i keep a case of wal marts finest oil (super tech 10w40 ) in that big pretty toolbox on my 89
it doesnt leak a drop but from the time i left my house, got to Hucks, and made it almost to cave city (25 miles from my house), we used 3.5 qts of oil... lifters were ticking so bad they sounded like they were gonna fly out.. pulled in a gas station, left it running, added 3 qts, no more noise!

(PS: now ill be there in spirit IF you ever hear a single valve rattle )
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)

Last edited by Blue_71; 09-21-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #73
jrb71c20

Holy smokes, I bout went blind tryin to read through all this. Someone famous travelin to WA or somethin?...How much will the old autographed parts be?....

If it don't have round headlights and a carb, I don't trust it!
jrb71c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #74
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

hey longhorn,
as your getting closer to the main event do you have a guess on where you hope to be by certain days? I guess most important to me would be when you would be in my area (Missoula,MT). I am taking Sun. (9/30) and Mon (10/1) off from work and that gives me the added bonus of being more accessible to help. as I mentioned before I have a pretty good sized garage and ample tools including air and welding. Also have access to wheel tire shop 24/7 ( my old job and very cool friends ) in case of flats etc... worst case have friend with commercial tow company. All that aound missoula area and have friends and family to see you past Billings, MT.

LMK,
Josh B.

Last edited by RunninLo; 09-26-2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: appearantly I forgot how to spell
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #75
Longhorn Man

Josh... I feel like a complete idiotic tool now.
I *THOUGHT I sent out a group P.M. to everyone who responded in this thread, or my other thread with contact info. I had briefly wondered if it went out, and then I told myself I was paranoid.
My route plans chainged. I have to make a stop in Colorado... I won't be going through your neck of the woods.