The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Summabish

Summabish's '66 C-20 (Slow) Build Thread

Well I wanted to wait to start this up until I got back from my forever long deployment. But I had my father pick this up for me a few months before I return. Its a 1966 C-20, 283 V8, 3 on the tree, its been converted to power brakes with disc up front, and is using 1/2 ton suspension/rear axle. So far the plans for now is to fix the body work, tweak the suspension and lower it a little bit more, 5 spd swap, paint, wheels, new wood bed, and drive until I build a LSx w/t56 for it as well as obtain needing items for laying it on bags. Its a little rough right now and I'm hoping to find a good hood for it being as the idiot put a set of hood pins threw this one. The wheel combo going on it is a set of 20x8.5's and 20x10's which are the Showwheels Streeter.

Well that's enough of the gibber jabber...

Truck

Motor

Wheels

I’m still debating tire sizes, rear is getting either 295 or 315’s
Summabish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
McMurphy

Re: Summabish's '66 C-20 (Slow) Build Thread

Hello and to the site !!
Are you in an activated Reserve unit?

Looks like you got a good start for a project going on there. How long until you Demob?
With spring almost in the air, you will be getting home just in time to enjoy the weather change as you get into this, Chesapeak is a northern town yes?

And I had to laugh at the hood pins, yes I agree, they are evil....

Good luck and if you are not going to jibber jabber, then post lots and lots of photos !!
Well post pics even if you do yakk a lot

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Summabish

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Hello and to the site !!
Are you in an activated Reserve unit?

Looks like you got a good start for a project going on there. How long until you Demob?
With spring almost in the air, you will be getting home just in time to enjoy the weather change as you get into this, Chesapeak is a northern town yes?

And I had to laugh at the hood pins, yes I agree, they are evil....

Good luck and if you are not going to jibber jabber, then post lots and lots of photos !!
Well post pics even if you do yakk a lot
Thanks, I'm active duty in the Navy. Its definitely in a lot better condition than most I have seen, most of the body work has been done already, Theres a few spots in the floor that need some new sheet metal where the PO didn't weld in, the doors look bad on the out side but I looked it over after aquiring a decent door for the drivers side, and realized the guy put new sheet metal in just did a ****ty patch job on the skin. But i'm sure I can smooth out the welds and use a little filler to smooth it out. I was a little irritated to see that he just bolted the cab corners on over the existing ones. I'll be pulling those and hopefully they are reusible so I can cut out the old and weld in the ones he bolted in. I will be posting lots of pictures. There should be more to come shortly. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more before I start in on it hard.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Summabish

Here's a slow update, I got to drive it around last weekend after throwing a set of spare wheels I had laying around, fixing the brake lights and getting the turnsignals working, and setting a seat in it. Found out how bad I need to swap out the trans, just got to get started on it good.

Found me a parts truck I can snag little odds and ends off of at a local yard. Glad they don't crush old metal.

Might snag this for a garage ornament.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Bomp

Looks like you have a solid truck to play with.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote