The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

75 rear bed walls.

Just about to make the replacement boards for the interior walls of the bed.
Q1 :When i remove the carpet from the old ones to draw round, I notice on the first one that the height at the front door pillar is slightly over 19 inches and at the tailgate is slightly under 19 inches. Is this simply shoddy 1970's union work and it should be the same height all the way or is this designed as such ????
Question 2 : regarding the curved metal parts rivetted to the front. mine are VERY rusted. is there a source of these new or do i just clean these up the best I can? next question on this would be HOW do I attach them to the new boards without a rivet gun? What have people done before?

Last edited by eighteenninetytwo; 01-17-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: sp
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: 75 rear bed walls.

If they're tapered I've never heard anyone mention it. I've got two sets to make this year, I'd been thinking of using cardboard to mock up a pair and then trace to wood. Can you post a pic of the rusty piece? I'm not sure what part you're describing. But a rivet gun is cheap and a good to have around.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
eighteenninetytwo

This is what I got to. Pics 1 and 2 of the new walls. I measured both of the originals and they didn't match each other so I've put it down to shoddy workmanship which was covered by carpeting so not an issue.

The new ones are marked as 19" top to bottom but I have left some extra room in there to trim down exactly to correct size - ONCE the bed noise reduction and carpeting is fitted. The third picture is of the two metal plates which fit to the bedwall and are also carpeted filling the space between curved doorpost and flat boards. You can see that the bottom of one is completely rusted away. not sure how I'll fill it in yet.

For the walls I used 5/8 Inch plyboard. Once Ive measured them and cut to correct size i will spray noise reducer behind them as i carpet what will be the interior.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
eighteenninetytwo

Additional. I figured that a flat headed machine screw will be good to bolt the plates to the boards as there is room behind the board, given that the bolts would not be butting against the doorpost and the flat head will be under carpet.